+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jon Jones-Glover Teixeira title fight no longer on UFC 169 Super Bowl card

Default Jon Jones-Glover Teixeira title fight no longer on UFC 169 Super Bowl card

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/1...uper-bowl-card

Jon Jones will defend his light heavyweight title against Glover Teixeira, but the fight isn't happening when everyone thought it was.

UFC President Dana White, on a Monday call with media members, said Jones (19-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC) and Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) will not be headlining the UFC 169 Super Bowl weekend card in New Jersey, as previously had been announced.

"That was never, ever a done deal," White said. "That's going to be later. That was never a done deal. Our (public relations) people put it out, and they shouldn't have."

White would not elaborate on reasons behind the bout being pushed from early February to later in the year, other than to say "the timing didn't work out."

He did, however, say the fight was likely to happen in March, instead. White also said Alexander Gustafsson (15-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) is expected to fight around the same time, likely in Sweden or in London, and provided Jones and Gustafsson each win, "they 100 percent will fight next."

Jones probably wants a longer layoff after getting his face smashed in

he probably needs more time to polish his belt for his mantle.

Jon Jones Felt Super Bowl Weekend Wasn’t Right Spot For Next Title Defense
    http://www.fightline.com/jon-jones-f...title-defense/

“It was just a little too close,” the fighter said, in regards to the time between his win over Alexander Gustafsson and the card. “I felt like I was rushing a bit.”

Jones (19-1) surpassed Tito Ortiz for the most successful title defenses, but this one vs. Gustafsson was the closest ever. Most called for an immediate rematch, but “Bones” will face the Brazilian first, likely in March.

While he didn’t leave the Octagon vs. “The Mauler” on his own two feet, Jones stated that he is progressing well from the 25-minute war.

“My foot is not 100 percent, but my face and my body feels great,” Jones said. “I felt like it was the biggest win of my career because of hard fought it was. I felt like it was a huge blessing. I’ve always asked for a dogfight. I’ve always looked for a legitimate fight and I got it and it feels good to have that under my belt now. Hopefully in the future I can get back to more dominating ways.”

Jones defends more frequently than any champ I can think of off the cuff. Nothing wrong with him taking recovery time IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Goose should fight Tex instead. Tex really hasn't earned that shot yet imo. Or give him Davis so we can see where Tex wrestling is really at. Such a waste of a potential contender when they get shot up to the front unproven like this. Rampage fight was horrible, Te Huna fight was meh, and Bader was about to finish him till he got caught Kongo v Barry style.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Jones defends more frequently than any champ I can think of off the cuff. Nothing wrong with him taking recovery time IMO.
    I agree, if anyone deserves a break and some time off it is Jones.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information