Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UFC instituting time restrictions on interim belts

Anyone on these boards no what it takes to go through surgery on a blown out knee and the rehab that comes along with it? No? Then you dont even have the slightest clue what Cruz is/has been going through over the last 2 years.

Had the UFC stripped Cruz of his belt because of said rehab and injury it would be a slap in Cruz's face for everything he has done for the company in such a short time frame. I have no problem with interim belts, or interim champions. IMO the term "interim" doesnt take away anything from the fighter who is holding the belt. Is Condit any less of a champion because he didnt beat GSP for it? Is Barao any less of a champion because he hasnt beat Cruz? My answer to those questions are no - not at all. Both are champions, and i look forward to seeing who the better ofthe champions are when they meet in early 2014 (cruz/barao) and i will be pulling for Cruz for the first time in his career. Us knee surgery guys need to stick together

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Anyone on these boards no what it takes to go through surgery on a blown out knee and the rehab that comes along with it? No? Then you dont even have the slightest clue what Cruz is/has been going through over the last 2 years.....

....and i will be pulling for Cruz for the first time in his career. Us knee surgery guys need to stick together
    So, if he had a herniated disk you wouldn't care nearly as much?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    I think Cruz hasn't been stripped yet because Dana kind of feels like he owes it to Cruz since he was hurt on the TUF. If it wasn't for him coaching TUF he would have fought Faber in April or May 2012 before he blew his leg out.
    I agree. I like Cruz, and it would suck for bad luck to impact him...particularly when he was on a tighter title defense schedule than many fight-just-once-a-year champs.

And it isn't Cruz holding the title hostage, it is Dana and the UFC. I would never expect a fighter to say "hey sure strip me of the belt." That is up to the higher powers in the company.
    Agreed again.

I look at it like this: if Jake Shields or [God forbid] Jon Fitch were to have beaten GSP for his belt, and then couldn't fight for a couple years, they're not going to get the love that Cruz has been shown.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I've always been a fan of stripping the title after 12 months and offering it up for grabs to a 4-person "tourney." Top 3 contenders and the incumbent champion if he/she can go. If not, top 4. The "champ" waits his/her turn just like any contender who suffered a similar fate.

It's not the kindest/gentlest approach but it keeps things moving and makes for interesting matchups with real implications.
    I'm a huge fan of tourneys. I'd even settle for the one-night 2 rounders that the CSAC was willing to do a for SF.

Anyone on these boards no what it takes to go through surgery on a blown out knee and the rehab that comes along with it? No? Then you dont even have the slightest clue what Cruz is/has been going through over the last 2 years.
    Did anyone say they knew what Cruz was going through?

Had the UFC stripped Cruz of his belt because of said rehab and injury it would be a slap in Cruz's face for everything he has done for the company in such a short time frame. I have no problem with interim belts, or interim champions.
    probably. But just as many people would be OK with it if it was a less charismatic fighter like Fitch, or Tim Sylvia.

IMO the term "interim" doesnt take away anything from the fighter who is holding the belt.
    Except money. Lots and lots of money.

Is Condit any less of a champion because he didnt beat GSP for it?
    Yes.

Is Barao any less of a champion because he hasnt beat Cruz?
    I dunno, maybe you should ask the tons of sponsors who aren't sponsoring him because he isn't a "real" champ. Maybe you should ask Pederneiras how much money he's losing.
    http://www.mmanews.com/forums/showth...ighlight=barao
    Of course, there isn't any reason to take his word for it, he's just imbedded in the actual situation, and not as clued-in as a guy who once rehabbed a knee surgery.

My answer to those questions are no - not at all.
    Your answers are wrong.

Find me one person who says Condit was as great a champion as GSP. One who's last name isn't Condit, anyway.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

To me, until the "interim champ" beats the actual champ... he's just a glorified #1 contender. When Condit lost to GSP, he showed he could not beat the Champ, so he would not have been capable of becoming champion with the true champion healthy.

I'm not sure when I think the Champ should be stripped, but eventually, if he's not healthy enough to schedule a fight then yes... he should be stripped. I know that sucks, but it sucks for the rest of the division that the belt is basically unobtainable... and with it all the perks of being the true champion.

Who here would feel like a true champion without actually beating the guy who holds the belt? To be champion you have to beat the best... Not beat number two, or number three....

Um, I do.

Any other questions?

Want pictures of the scar?
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Condit was never champ in my opinion, if that answers your question. He was Interim champ, and when the champ came back, he stopped being that.
    USA! USA! USA!

Karo should be made super-duper-cross-divisional champion. Us guys with anxiety need to stick together.

Actually yes I do...

And with that knowledge I still think Cruz should be stripped of the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Karo should be made super-duper-cross-divisional champion. Us guys with anxiety need to stick together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

Your answers are wrong.

Find me one person who says Condit was as great a champion as GSP. One who's last name isn't Condit, anyway.

rh
    Even you should know Condit is more humble than that and knows GSP is boss hogg.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Thread Information