Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jose Aldo offered to move up to 155, but coach and Dana White declined

Default Jose Aldo offered to move up to 155, but coach and Dana White declined

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/8...white-declined

Aldo revealed during Tuesdayís Q&A with the fans in Barueri, Brazil that he asked the UFC to move up to the lightweight division and challenge Pettis. However, according to the 145-pound champion, UFC president Dana White didnít accept his offer.

"Many people talked about moving up (to 155 pounds), and Iíve asked for that," Aldo said. "But Andre (Pederneiras, his coach) and Dana (White) said it wasnít the right moment. Moving up to lightweight is closer and closer. When they think itís time to move up, Iíll do it no problem."

"Many fans talked about it, and weíre waiting to do this super fight. But they matched him (against Josh Thomson)," he continued. "If it was up to me it would have already happened at any weight. Iím an employee and I donít see any problem with that. I wanted (to fight Pettis) at 155 pounds, of course. He has his title and he wouldnít be able to steal mine (laughs)."

Aldo is ranked number one in the featherweight division since he beat Mike Brown for the WEC title on November 2009 and has said many times he would move up to the 155 division in the future, pending the approval of his manager Andre Pederneiras.

The Brazilian never called out opponents, but changed his style a bit when asked by the fans who he would like to fight next in the UFC.

"I never chose opponents, but I can say one name now, and itís Pettis, for all the talk that has happened," he said. "He would be the right person for me to fight today. It would be even better to fight him at lightweight so I wouldnít need to cut weight (laughs)."

I can't wait until he moves up to LW and takes that title. There won't be any question who the best P4P fighter is then.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

I would love it if Aldo moved up and took the LW title from Pettis. He would surely become number one p4p. I can't imagine one guy being the pinnacle of the LW and FW divisions. Talk about ultimate badass! I just hope Pettis defends his title in the meantime so this fight will be nice and polished by the time it could become a reality.

War Aldo. The time will come.

Jose Aldo facing Pettis at any weight is an awesome fight to have happen, but I would love to see it at lightweight so neither fighter has to drop more weight. I'd back Aldo, but not by much.

Pettis faces Thomson and TJ Grant.
    Aldo faces Lamas and a rematch with either Mendes, Swanson or Jung.

Aldo moves up after that and would likely get a shot because of the marketing opportunity it presents. Not to mention he's beaten two lightweights at his weight class.

Dana wants to milk Pettis first.

I'm sure dana doesn't want Aldo cluttering up the misinformation he spreads about p4p as well. I mean, you can't have a guy who can't move PPV's as your #1 p4p fighter can you?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

If Aldo moves up and beats Pettis, I can see Henderson beating Aldo,and then it becomes a merry-go-round at LW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    If Aldo moves up and beats Pettis, I can see Henderson beating Aldo,and then it becomes a merry-go-round at LW.
    Yep. I think Bendo could grind Aldo to a decision. There's a lot of good wrestlers at lw that could cause Aldo problems. I'm not so sure how a rematch with Mendes goes. The first fight could have been very different if not for theblatant fence grab. Aldo beats anybody else at fw though.

To me it depends on what Aldo shows up. The one that beat Edgar and Mendes, he wins the LW title. The one that fought KZ, Hominick and Florian gets beat up by any of the Top 5 LWs.

And it the UFC wants it to be a super fight. Aldo fighting Pettis right now is not a super fight. Pettis has had the belt for 20 seconds. If Bendo had won that fight the UFC would have been all over a champion v champion fight.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I'm sure dana doesn't want Aldo cluttering up the misinformation he spreads about p4p as well. I mean, you can't have a guy who can't move PPV's as your #1 p4p fighter can you?

rh
    would you
    it's not like Dana is running around calling chael the p4p best and trust you me that guy put's asses in the seats and sells ppv as good as any one in the ufc.

Thread Information