Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Machida accepted Mark Munoz fight so he wouldn't disappoint UFC

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,504

    Default Machida accepted Mark Munoz fight so he wouldn't disappoint UFC

    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/8...disappoint-ufc

    "I thought for a while about it (when UFC offered the change), but I didnít want to disappoint and frustrate the UFC," Machida told MMAFighting.com. "The date wasnít that bad. I was already training hard for my fight, so I decided to take it. They were both main events, but this is a better one because Mark Munoz is better ranked and itís not a (Fight For The Troops) card."

    Munoz has one submission and six knockouts on his record, while Kennedy finished eight of his 16 wins by submission. However, Machida sees some similarities in their games.

    "Theyíre not that different," he said. "They both have similar styles, but Tim Kennedy likes to go for the takedown from the body lock and Munoz moves more. But they basically have similar styles."

    One advantage against Munoz, which Machida wouldnít have over Kennedy, is the fact that they used to train together.

    "We were training together so thatís a little complicated, but thatís inevitable here in California," he said. "We always look for better training so we ended up training together. Itís complicated, but itís tough for both of us. Iíve learned some things from his game, but he did too.

    "Mark Munoz was always very friendly, gave me tips during trainings," he continued. "We helped each other a lot. But we were training together, itís not like he was teaching me. You test yourself a lot during sparring."

    Following a frustrating and controversial unanimous decision loss to Phil Davis at UFC 163 in Rio de Janeiro, "The Dragon" wants to leave no doubts in Manchester.

    "I always go to win decisively," he said. "I had a (foot) injury and couldnít show what I wanted in my last fight, but Iíll be different this time."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,533

    Default

    I think Munoz may disappoint quite a few of his supporters in this fight if Machida's weight cut goes well.

    I still say this is a HORRIBLE matchup for Munoz.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sackville N.B
    Posts
    3,265

    Default

    I could see it going either way quite honestly. If Munoz peaks at the right time I could see him taking this.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    I think Machida takes this one and he does so fairly easily. Munoz is to open when he strikes and I do not see him wantonly taking Machida down, no one really does so I just do not see this going well for him.


    Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    345

    Default

    Machida should take this. His ability to move in and out of range quickly and it seems to really fustrate the wrestlers he faced. Tito, Rashad, Bader, Couture and Davis (which I feel he won). I see Munoz getting fustrated, overcommitting and getting KO'd.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Very far
    Posts
    9,592

    Default

    Machida must do a different fight than usual, because he already has 2 loses in fights that he actually won pretty clearly.

    If once again for 2 rounds he just keeps avoiding punches, and finally in the 3rd round he fights, then once again he will lose 29-28.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sackville N.B
    Posts
    3,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Machida must do a different fight than usual, because he already has 2 loses in fights that he actually won pretty clearly.
    Umm what? Munoz has lost one split decision and got knocked the fuck out twice. What were his 2 losses that he won?

    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,227

    Default

    The trick to beating Machida is just be more active then him. With the current scoring system in place you will win. Just keep him backing up and keep attacking. Don't get frustated when you can't hit him, just keep swinging and go for takedowns.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Umm what? Munoz has lost one split decision and got knocked the fuck out twice. What were his 2 losses that he won?
    pretty sure he is talking about Machida's losses, not Munoz's losses...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I think Munoz may disappoint quite a few of his supporters in this fight if Machida's weight cut goes well.

    I still say this is a HORRIBLE matchup for Munoz.
    I agree.

    If one were to factor in how Munoz looked in his last fight.... Machida takes this.

    Prime Munoz would give Machida trouble... but Munoz taught Machida a considerable amount of takedown defense.

    On the fence, but I think Machida is more likely going to take this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •