Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machida accepted Mark Munoz fight so he wouldn't disappoint UFC

Default Machida accepted Mark Munoz fight so he wouldn't disappoint UFC

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/8...disappoint-ufc

"I thought for a while about it (when UFC offered the change), but I didnít want to disappoint and frustrate the UFC," Machida told MMAFighting.com. "The date wasnít that bad. I was already training hard for my fight, so I decided to take it. They were both main events, but this is a better one because Mark Munoz is better ranked and itís not a (Fight For The Troops) card."

Munoz has one submission and six knockouts on his record, while Kennedy finished eight of his 16 wins by submission. However, Machida sees some similarities in their games.

"Theyíre not that different," he said. "They both have similar styles, but Tim Kennedy likes to go for the takedown from the body lock and Munoz moves more. But they basically have similar styles."

One advantage against Munoz, which Machida wouldnít have over Kennedy, is the fact that they used to train together.

"We were training together so thatís a little complicated, but thatís inevitable here in California," he said. "We always look for better training so we ended up training together. Itís complicated, but itís tough for both of us. Iíve learned some things from his game, but he did too.

"Mark Munoz was always very friendly, gave me tips during trainings," he continued. "We helped each other a lot. But we were training together, itís not like he was teaching me. You test yourself a lot during sparring."

Following a frustrating and controversial unanimous decision loss to Phil Davis at UFC 163 in Rio de Janeiro, "The Dragon" wants to leave no doubts in Manchester.

"I always go to win decisively," he said. "I had a (foot) injury and couldnít show what I wanted in my last fight, but Iíll be different this time."

I think Munoz may disappoint quite a few of his supporters in this fight if Machida's weight cut goes well.

I still say this is a HORRIBLE matchup for Munoz.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

I could see it going either way quite honestly. If Munoz peaks at the right time I could see him taking this.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I think Machida takes this one and he does so fairly easily. Munoz is to open when he strikes and I do not see him wantonly taking Machida down, no one really does so I just do not see this going well for him.
    "Victims aren't we all"

"Give them Nothing but take from them Everything"

"Good Humor is like premature ejaculation, you don't plan it, it just comes to you"

Machida should take this. His ability to move in and out of range quickly and it seems to really fustrate the wrestlers he faced. Tito, Rashad, Bader, Couture and Davis (which I feel he won). I see Munoz getting fustrated, overcommitting and getting KO'd.

A win over Machida doesn't even need an explanation on how much it'd mean for Munoz.

Which leads me to say that Munoz is getting murdered in this fight, imo.

Munoz has to dig deep, tuck his chin, and try to kill Machida, or I don't see how he can logically win. Highly doubtful that Munoz catches him with a big punch unless he charges through fire. Even at that, he has to literally catch Machida on the feet first or cut him off somehow, who is one of the most elusive fighters ever. Cutting him off and getting a hold of him, let alone hitting him, is an extremely arduous task. Can't wait to see if Munoz can do anything.

Machida must do a different fight than usual, because he already has 2 loses in fights that he actually won pretty clearly.

If once again for 2 rounds he just keeps avoiding punches, and finally in the 3rd round he fights, then once again he will lose 29-28.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Machida must do a different fight than usual, because he already has 2 loses in fights that he actually won pretty clearly.
    Umm what? Munoz has lost one split decision and got knocked the fuck out twice. What were his 2 losses that he won?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

The trick to beating Machida is just be more active then him. With the current scoring system in place you will win. Just keep him backing up and keep attacking. Don't get frustated when you can't hit him, just keep swinging and go for takedowns.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Umm what? Munoz has lost one split decision and got knocked the fuck out twice. What were his 2 losses that he won?
    pretty sure he is talking about Machida's losses, not Munoz's losses...

Thread Information