Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC Fight Night 29 Bonuses & Post Fight Extras

Default UFC Fight Night 29 Bonuses & Post Fight Extras

UFC Fight Night 29 bonuses: Palhares snubbed for sub awardhttp://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/10/ufc-fight-night-29-bonuses-palhares-snubbed-for-sub-award

– Dong Hyun Kim, Raphael Assuncao and T.J. Dillashaw each earned $50,000 bonuses for their performances at Saturday's UFC Fight Night 29 event. But Rousimar Palhares watched $50,000 walk away "due to unsportsmanlike conduct."

Kim earned the "Knockout of the Night" and Assuncao and Dillashaw picked up "Fight of the Night" honors. Palhares, with the only submission on the card, should have won the "Submission of the Night" bonus. But because he continued to hold Mike Pierce's leg in the fight-ending ankle lock, UFC officials elected to not give him the bonus.

UFC officials announced the winners at the night's post-event news conference, which MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) attended.

Trainer: Brazilian commission to review Rousimar Palhares stoppage
    http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/1...hares-stoppage
    The submission from Rousimar Palhares that brought a series of hard taps and a scream from UFC welterweight Mike Pierce is under review.

Pierce's trainer, Phil Claud, who is in Brazil with the fighter for tonight's UFC Fight Night 29 event, told MMAjunkie.com via text that the Brazilian MMA commission, Comissao Atletica Brasileira de MMA (CABMMA), is going to look at whether Palhares held on to the submission hold too long. (Watch the Palhares vs. Pierce finish.)

"It's 100 percent lack of professionalism on [Palhares'] part," Claud wrote.

Referee Keith Peterson moved to separate Palhares (15-5 MMA, 8-4 UFC) after Pierce (17-6 MMA, 9-4 UFC) began tapping to an inverted heel-hook, which Palhares had cinched even before the two hit the mat. Palhares, however, held on to the hold for several seconds after Pierce's tap in the FOX Sports 1-televised bout.

The official time of the stoppage came at the 31-second mark of the first round.

Three years ago, the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board suspended Palhares for 90 days when it was determined he held a heel hook too long against Tomasz Drwal.

Although heel hooks can cause severe damage to the knee, Claud said Pierce's ankle is the joint that was primarily affected by the hold.

"I think he's OK, but we're going to get an MRI," Claud wrote.

And as for a potential rematch?

"We want to fight that motherf---er again!!" he wrote.

Twitter outrage pours in after Rousimar Palhares' submission of Mike Pierce
    http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/1...of-mike-pierce
    Brian Stann ✔ @BrianStann

This is a sport of professionals, when someone taps, let go….period. Ridiculous how many times this guy has done this

Mike Brown ✔ @mikebrownmma

Damn, as always toquino held that way to long...
    4:49 PM - 9 Oct 2013

Brad Tavares ✔ @BradTavares

In my opinion palhares hangs on to his submissions a little too long, even with the ref trying to pull him off... He could potentially....
    4:49 PM - 9 Oct 2013

jimi manuwa ✔ @POSTERBOYJM

“@DeathsquadBris: @POSTERBOYJM don't like him holding on too long when the opponents tapped though” definitely. What's up with him.

Derek Brunson ✔ @DerekBrunsonMMA

Mike Pierce tapped more than every fight combined in UFC history ! #UFCFightNight

Justin Buchholz @jbmma155

Dude that should be a DQ, that was blatant & not his first offense. That's worse then punching after the bell and K.O.'ing someone. #career

Kenny Florian ✔ @kennyflorian

Loved the submission that Toquihno hit on Pierece but don't like the way he held it. Has a history of that. Gets too excited out there.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 10-10-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Held a little to long, he needs to learn to let go,I wonder if he has that same problem in training, I know in BJJ, once you feel that tap u let go. As for Peirce wanting a rematch, come on, he offered nothing in the way of a challenge, he knew what was going to happen an could do NOTHING to prevent it. Toquihno just needs to let go, the guy is a bundle of aggression in the cage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Held a little to long, he needs to learn to let go,I wonder if he has that same problem in training, I know in BJJ, once you feel that tap u let go. As for Peirce wanting a rematch, come on, he offered nothing in the way of a challenge, he knew what was going to happen an could do NOTHING to prevent it. Toquihno just needs to let go, the guy is a bundle of aggression in the cage.
    I've heard it emanates from his BTT training with Bustamante and their mistrust of referees after the infamous doubletap Lindland pulled back in the day. I was really more shocked by Pierce's choice to follow him into the cage and not avoiding the leg dives by disengaging, I figured he'd look at maintaining the distance until they were sweatier and fatigued and look to crack Palhares' chin, since Pierce has underrated power in his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I've heard it emanates from his BTT training with Bustamante and their mistrust of referees after the infamous doubletap Lindland pulled back in the day. I was really more shocked by Pierce's choice to follow him into the cage and not avoiding the leg dives by disengaging, I figured he'd look at maintaining the distance until they were sweatier and fatigued and look to crack Palhares' chin, since Pierce has underrated power in his hands.
    That would make a lot of sense, you could tell Peirce was frantic and desperate to avoid that leg lock, he never should of gotten to close Palhares,or near the cage wall. I don't think Palhares is actually injuring anyone, he holds the lock,the ref pulls him off, takes a second or two but Peirce got up just fine,walked out on his own. Pierce offered nothing to prevent that leg lock,I think the cage did more to slow Toquhino down, I wouldn't call for a rematch.

Can we look at how good he looked at 170, just as quick and efficient as ever. He could easily be a force at WW, all those wrestlers with their chicken legs lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

this is the reason i get a lot of enjoyment watching the likes of marquardt, lombard, and belcher beating the shit out of this guy...fire his ass for all i care.

^Same here, loved seeing Lombard knock him out cold viciously, just as I love seeing him get his ass beat every time. Hopefully they make a rematch with Lombard at 170 or give him Ellenberger.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Hendo beat tree stump pretty thoroughly as well. I say if the AC returns with a ruling that he held the leg lock too long; thus agreeing with the consensus view, I say cut him.
    Quote Originally Posted by zana1126 View Post
    I prefer to watch my grandmother fucking.
    Whatever floats your boat man...

Don't stop till the ref pulls you off no? I didn't think it was too long.......

no diff then the Dan vs Bisping cheap shot eh? or is this like the fighter bashing posts? it's o.k if ya don't like him.....

Did Hendo bang your mom or something? So much hate for a low key guy. He had to have banged somebody that you didn't want him to. You can admit it. No judgment here.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Thread Information