+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dong Hyun Kim calls KO of Erick Silva 'luck,' apologizes for fence grab

Default Dong Hyun Kim calls KO of Erick Silva 'luck,' apologizes for fence grab

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/1...for-fence-grab

"I know Erick has a lot of good strikes, but I believe it was very good luck to have won in the second round like that," Kim said via translator after the event, which took place at Jose Correa Arena in Barueri, Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Kim vs. Silva aired on the FOX Sports 1-televised main card following prelims on the same channel.

The stroke of luck earned Kim an extra $50,000 in pay for "Knockout of the Night."

"I trained a lot of grappling," he said. "I know Erick has a lot of good strikes, but I believe it was very good luck to have won in the second round like that."

Also completely unplanned for Kim was a grab of the fence after Silva attempted to lift and slam him to the canvas just prior to the fight-ending sequence.

On social media, many fans took note of the illegal maneuver despite several fence grabs from Silva (15-4 MMA, 3-3 UFC) as Kim (18-2-1 MMA, 9-2 UFC) attempted to take his chief weapon – striking – away earlier in the fight.

For his part, Kim was contrite about his lapse.

"I don't remember, but if I had the fence, I apologize," he told MMAjunkie.com.

Silva initially resisted the Korean's attempts to get the fight to the mat and landed several heavy strikes, which prompted extended bouts of clinching.

"I tried to tie up my opponent a little bit, and I knew I was going to take a lot of punches," Kim said. "So I tried to counter the attack.

"Erick Silva was very strong. He started very aggressive, and it was a war. I needed to fight against him, or I was going to lose. So I was trying to make Erick lose his strength. But I think it was luck (that I finished the fight by knockout)."
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 10-10-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Kim looked like he was getting the worse of those exchanges before the KO. I really enjoyed that fight even though it wasn't the best display of technical striking. Very entertaining. I hope we see Erick back soon.
    You have to know what you don't know.

Fence grabs were even steven after Silva grabbed the cage in the first, negating a surefire Stungun takedown, which Yamasaki didn't give a fuck about, so in my books, it all evened out.

It was the most surprising and upsetting finish to any of the fights last night. I was really rooting for Silva.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Fence grabs were even steven after Silva grabbed the cage in the first, negating a surefire Stungun takedown, which Yamasaki didn't give a fuck about, so in my books, it all evened out.
    From what I remember 3 fights in a row a Brazilian fighter grabbed the fence with no warnings.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I kind of felt like that shit was on going on from the top of the card down it just seemed very bias to me

7. Default

Brazilians are known for a few things.

- ALWAYS grabbing the fence against ANYONE taking them down.
    - Complaining about an injury after the fact, or before, or if they won, or if they lost.
    - Not wanting to fight any other Brazilian...ever.

That punch was anything but lucky. Kim is just trying to be modest. He STORCHED Silva and I'm for one glad.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

It may have been a bit of luck, but his timing was great. I was pulling for Silva, but I can't be upset with Stun Gun. Well deserved knockout of the night bonus. I hope Silva learns from this and bounces back.

Maybe it was luck as far as getting the opening in what looked to be a Silva win. But he threw a great counter and had good movement and it landed with power. I think he is selling himself short as well
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

I went through the roof. I'm a big Stun Gun fan, but the way he was looking in the 2nd rnd, had me nervous as hell. Guy was really tired, the aggressive first rnd def paid a toll. Then boom. Loved it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information