Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Dong Hyun Kim calls KO of Erick Silva 'luck,' apologizes for fence grab

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    That punch was anything but lucky. Kim is just trying to be modest. He STORCHED Silva and I'm for one glad.
    I agree. Kim was putting everything he had into almost every punch, kick and elbow thrown last night. I thought it was a very entertaining fight and should have been fight of the night.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    I've been saying for a long time that the current fencegrab punishments are out of balance. There needs to be something between a warning (which does fuck all) and a point deduction (which is too severe).

    A ref doesn't want to decide the fight with a point deduction, so they basically do nothing. At best they try to get in there and remove the guy's fingers from the cage.

    My idea was always something along the lines of a 'foul'. The ref can call a foul on the guy who grabs the fence, stop the action, and basically award the takedown. They have to restart the action, and the ref has the authority to grant the fighter guard, half guard, side control, or whatever he thinks the takedown would have lead to.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I've been saying for a long time that the current fencegrab punishments are out of balance. There needs to be something between a warning (which does fuck all) and a point deduction (which is too severe).

    A ref doesn't want to decide the fight with a point deduction, so they basically do nothing. At best they try to get in there and remove the guy's fingers from the cage.

    My idea was always something along the lines of a 'foul'. The ref can call a foul on the guy who grabs the fence, stop the action, and basically award the takedown. They have to restart the action, and the ref has the authority to grant the fighter guard, half guard, side control, or whatever he thinks the takedown would have lead to.
    Good idea, but it leaves a lot of discretion in the hands of the ref. They seem to be kind of dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.



  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Good idea, but it leaves a lot of discretion in the hands of the ref. They seem to be kind of dumb.
    We could just take the discretion away. Whenever a fighter grabs the fence, award the takedown, start in the middle in guard. Every single time. No warnings, no point deductions. Just restart the action and let the judges know they score it as if the fighter scored the takedown. Everyone will stop grabbing the fence tomorrow.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,390

    Default

    Or just completely allow it and take away the inherent advantage grapplers have by using the fence as a tool.

    (I'm just being a dickhead here to spark some discussion about how the cage creates a disproportionate advantage for wrestlers)

    I actually really like the idea of immediately awarding the takedown and putting them in guard.
    Last edited by SimpleJack; 10-11-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,911

    Default

    ^ agreed, a fence grab should be penalized by your opponent getting a take down in guard. Watch how quickly fence grabs stop happening. Many fence grabs are just human reactions, but still.

    Considering Silva grabbed the fence earlier, it evens out tbh because both fighters were definitely going down on both grabs.

    Also, I wouldn't call it a lucky punch at all. Silva threw a stupid shot and Kim threw a good shot (and as the commentators said, while getting his head out of the way).

    Eyes closed, head down and swinging for the fences in a lucky shot. Then you're just throwing and praying. Kim threw a good punch while Silva threw a bad one. Simple as that.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Very far
    Posts
    9,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Brazilians are known for a few things.

    - ALWAYS grabbing the fence against ANYONE taking them down.
    - Complaining about an injury after the fact, or before, or if they won, or if they lost.
    - Not wanting to fight any other Brazilian...ever.
    You forgot another fact:

    - Plenty of them are among the best fighters in the world

    Why you have so much hate towards Brazilian fighters?
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff


  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Or just completely allow it and take away the inherent advantage grapplers have by using the fence as a tool.

    (I'm just being a dickhead here to spark some discussion about how the cage creates a disproportionate advantage for wrestlers)

    I actually really like the idea of immediately awarding the takedown and putting them in guard.
    In the spirit of healthy discussion, While I agree something needs to be done about fence grabbing, I think that the advantage the fence gives wrestlers is similar to the advantage given to strikers at the beginning of the fight as all fights start standing.
    You have to know what you don't know.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    My idea was always something along the lines of a 'foul'. The ref can call a foul on the guy who grabs the fence, stop the action, and basically award the takedown. They have to restart the action, and the ref has the authority to grant the fighter guard, half guard, side control, or whatever he thinks the takedown would have lead to.
    I like this idea! Really like it!
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

    HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SickNasty View Post
    In the spirit of healthy discussion, While I agree something needs to be done about fence grabbing, I think that the advantage the fence gives wrestlers is similar to the advantage given to strikers at the beginning of the fight as all fights start standing.
    Don't grappling tourneys even start standing?

    A takedown is earned. Therefore I see your point as being senseless.

    Standing is a neutral position and considering takedowns are figured into scoring, I would say there is no advantage at all.
    Last edited by SimpleJack; 10-11-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •