Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jake Shields ‘would be down’ to fight winner of Condit vs. Brown

Default Jake Shields ‘would be down’ to fight winner of Condit vs. Brown

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/1...ondit-vs-brown

"I fought a top contender now," Shields told MMAFighting.com after the fight. "Demian Maia was looking at a title shot. I would love GSP first off, but maybe Carlos Condit, who I already beat, or Robbie Lawler. I’m ready to fight whoever."

Shields already defeated Condit back in 2006. With the former WEC champion scheduled to compete against Matt Brown at UFC on FOX 9, Shields eyes the winner of that bout as a potential opponent for his return.

"I would be down for that one," he said.

Two judges scored the contest 48-47 in favor of Shields against Maia, but he wasn’t convinced the judges would give him the win against a Brazilian in Brazil.

"It was a lot closer than I wanted," he said. "When I got here I felt in his vibe that Demian Maia was ready for a war so I was expecting a really tough fight. I was hoping to make it less close but I thought I took the win but being here in Brazil I was a little nervous, of course.

"I wasn’t positive (that they would give me the win)," he continued. "I felt I did enough but you never want a close fight like that, especially here in Brazil."

Shields believes he won four of the five rounds, and that includes the opening one -- even with Maia taking his back in the first minutes.

"He came right away, trying to clinch and took me down, so it was definitely not a good way to start," Shields said. "I got a little fatigued, but I luckily was able to get back up, reversal and take over. I probably won the first round, but it was one of those close rounds that I really don’t know. I need to go back and watch the fight to see what I did right and what I did wrong."

If Shields' standup looks anything like it did last night, Condit will avenge that one.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Condit has weak wrestling, Shields can Fitch him, not sure if he will be able to do it for all 5 rounds. Last nights fight might have been better if it was a 3 round fight, they went really hard in the 1st and then realized that they needed to conserve energy so they slowed down the pace.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    If Shields' standup looks anything like it did last night, Condit will avenge that one.

I think it depends on how many rounds the fight is. 3 round fight, Shields has enough in him to win 2 out of 3 rounds with his wrestling and top control to pull out of the fight. If it is a 5 round fight, Condit either wins a UD or stops Shields late when Shields' gasses. Either way, I would be down for that fight.
    Dude, I’m a wrestler. I’m the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. That’s all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

No way. Shields just came off a 2 loss skid. Brown's on a 5 fight win streak and Condit has been a perpetual top 5 for a long while.

Shields needs a top 10, not a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    No way. Shields just came off a 2 loss skid. Brown's on a 5 fight win streak and Condit has been a perpetual top 5 for a long while.

Shields needs a top 10, not a contender.
    Shields has a 2 fight win streak with Maia and Woodley(which would be 2 top 15s, a top 5 in Maia) and he did win the Herman fight before it was overturned, which would put him at undefeated in 4 going back to the Akiyama win.

Beating Maia puts him up to at the very least, to play spoiler against the top 7 or so and IMO, he's a walking beartrap for the Matt Brown train, so if he were to best Condit, I'm thinking they immediately boost him to the next title shot.

One fighter I'd be REALLY interested in seeing Shields get matched up with next would be a rematch with Ellenberger, who has that blistering win over Shields, but it was in the shadow of his father's passing. Heck, I'd be down for Kampmann II as well, thought that was a helluva fun fight, probably my fave of Shields in a long ass time.

Maybe the winner of Rory Mac/Lawler would be a good match-up as well. But an Ellenberger or Kampmann rematch seems more likely.

Maia: Judges need to show up
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ed-to-show-up/
    Maia appeared at the post-fight press conference and said the judges should be more accountable.

"I don't understand the judges," said Maia as transcribed by MMAMania. "My strategy going into the fifth round was to defend the takedowns and score points standing, so I thought the fight was 3-2 to me. I think the judges should make their criteria more clear and the judges should go public. A decision like this can change a fighter's life and these guys never show up. They need to show up. They need to know the responsibility they have with judging, and they should clarify the rules."

Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 10-10-2013 at 10:02 AM.

I personally think the ufc should make all Condit fights 5 rounds. It is a crime against us fans if we don't get to see the whole 25 minutes of awesomeness.

i have no interest in gsp/shields II so please book him against macdonald or condit as they're the only ones i can see beating shields aside from gsp.

Thread Information