Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Palhares vs Pierce - Spoiler Jawns

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,167

    Default Palhares vs Pierce - Spoiler Jawns

    So, am I the only one who thinks Rousimar held that sub too long? I know he's done it before and far worse, but if this is a thing, or a pattern, with this guy then there has to be some way to punish this.
    You have to know what you don't know.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area.
    Posts
    14,115

    Default

    Meltzer said that the UFC is probably going to give him a 9 month suspension for being a prior offender and 9 months would be about the amount of time for him to miss the payday on what would be his next big fight. Couple that with the fact that, despite the win, alot of guys don't want to fight him because that type of shit is dangerous. I've heard talk of him getting dropped altogether because of this being the second glaring time and they cut Babalu for only one major foul...

    I say, if and/or when he comes back and gets Maia.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sackville N.B
    Posts
    3,225

    Default

    I'll have to go rewatch the fight but I didn't think it was at the time. I thought he didn't let go after the tap and he waited for the ref to jump in and separate it. After his fight with Dan Miller, I understand why he would do that.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I'll have to go rewatch the fight but I didn't think it was at the time. I thought he didn't let go after the tap and he waited for the ref to jump in and separate it. After his fight with Dan Miller, I understand why he would do that.
    The ref tried to get under the leg to relieve the pressure after he signaled the end of the fight. Plus I know you can feel your opponent tap out when you have a sub on him. While it wasn't as bad as his previous infraction, it definitely was a dick move. Also, if you've had a bad ref not call a tap that resulted in you letting a sub go, I can understand your needed the ref to separate the hold. But if you have the guy tapping and the ref smacking you, you downright should have to make the ref try to pry your hands off of your opponent.
    You have to know what you don't know.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,223

    Default

    Palhares definitely went too long. Heck, Pierce was vocalizing his tap for a few seconds before Palhares let go. It's a shame that such a talented fighter may get let go because of this.

  6. Default

    Why the UFC doesn't cut Simple Jack is beyond me.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sackville N.B
    Posts
    3,225

    Default

    Just rewatched it. I'm still not convinced. What I saw was Pierce tap and yell in pain. That still doesn't mean that Palhares has to let go of the hold. The ref jumped in and seemed to immediately try to break the hold. Looking at the direction that Rousimar was looking in he might not have seen what was going on. The average human reaction time is approximately 1.5 seconds and I don't think there is much more time, if any between the time the ref jumps in and the time the hold is released.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Just rewatched it. I'm still not convinced. What I saw was Pierce tap and yell in pain. That still doesn't mean that Palhares has to let go of the hold. The ref jumped in and seemed to immediately try to break the hold. Looking at the direction that Rousimar was looking in he might not have seen what was going on. The average human reaction time is approximately 1.5 seconds and I don't think there is much more time, if any between the time the ref jumps in and the time the hold is released.
    Pierce tapping and yelling in pain signals the ref that the fight should stop as he has given up. The offensive fighter isn't required to let up. But when the ref vocally and physically instructs the offensive fighter to stop, then it should stop immediately, Pierce tapping and being vocal prior to that should have given him a slight heads up. Also, through a quick and not gravely detailed search, the human reaction time is an average .2 - .25 seconds depending on the environment and all that (using hypertextbook.com as a reference). Which is still longer than what it took for him to break the hold once the ref jumped in. That extra time gives more of an unwarranted opportunity for potential career ending damage to take place.
    You have to know what you don't know.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SickNasty View Post
    Pierce tapping and yelling in pain signals the ref that the fight should stop as he has given up. The offensive fighter isn't required to let up. But when the ref vocally and physically instructs the offensive fighter to stop, then it should stop immediately, Pierce tapping and being vocal prior to that should have given him a slight heads up. Also, through a quick and not gravely detailed search, the human reaction time is an average .2 - .25 seconds depending on the environment and all that (using hypertextbook.com as a reference). Which is still longer than what it took for him to break the hold once the ref jumped in. That extra time gives more of an unwarranted opportunity for potential career ending damage to take place.
    I have read both of your post and you seem to contradict yourself in both of them. in this one did you mean he held the hold much longer than the average reaction time? Because the way you word it you are saying the average reaction time was longer than it took for him to release.

    Also in your previous post you make it sound like he should wait for the ref to pry him off instead of stopping once the reg first touches him and says stop.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    I have read both of your post and you seem to contradict yourself in both of them. in this one did you mean he held the hold much longer than the average reaction time? Because the way you word it you are saying the average reaction time was longer than it took for him to release.

    Also in your previous post you make it sound like he should wait for the ref to pry him off instead of stopping once the reg first touches him and says stop.
    I did get a bit confusing there, my apologies.

    It seemed to me that he held the hold much longer than what the estimated human reaction time is. From my really bad (lazy) research, the average human reaction time is .2 - .25 or a quarter of a second. I thought he held that hold for a full second or longer after the ref first signaled that the fight should be stopped.

    And in a fight, he only has to let off the hold, as far as my knowledge of the rules are, when the ref tells him to stop, not the other fighter. Sure, he could release the hold, or at least ease up on it before the ref's instructions if he feels/hears his opponent tap/submit, but he runs the risk of doing so without the ref seeing the opponent give up. So he could be a nice guy and release the submission before the ref says so kind of like a guy not punching someone who is clearly out before the ref signals the end of the fight but it's not mandated he do so.
    You have to know what you don't know.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •