+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bellator will release Askren if he gets title shot at GSP

Default Bellator will release Askren if he gets title shot at GSP

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...e-shot-at-GSP/

This week Rebney called up Askren with an unusual offer, one that Askren wants to jump at.

"He just called me and said straight up, 'I think you're the best welterweight in the world,'" Askren said. "I thought, OK, where's he going with this?"

Rebney wondered aloud: "How about I let you go free if you fight GSP?"

"Dana says, 'Don't sing it, bring it.' Sounds good to me,” Askren said. “I'll step in the cage any day of the week. Just tell me when. That would be ideal."

"The reason I got into MMA was to see if I could be the best in the world at it. That's just my personality. So, boom, this is my shot to prove I'm No. 1 in the world. I really think I am No. 1 in the world. I don't think there's anyone that can beat me. This is what I want. It's what I'm looking for.”

“I think on Dana's side, it will work out well. If GSP beats my ass, I think he says, 'See, UFC is much better than Bellator.' I think if I kick GSP's ass, I could be a very good UFC champion. One that sticks around for a while. One that is entertaining to the fans. Because GSP was entertaining, but honestly the last time he had a real finish I was wrestling in the U.S. Open [in 2008]. I hadn't even considered MMA at that point. And his whole shtick. He's quiet. Very little personality. I could put the UFC welterweight division back on the map because no one really, legitimately gave GSP a run for his money."

The last time White mentioned Rebney, his words did not indicate an overwhelming desire to work with Bellator.

"The guy says, 'Yeah, we're going to let him go. Let's just part ways,'" said White. "You ain't f---ing parting ways with him. He's got a matching right and all that bulls---. This guy is a f---ing typical boxing piece of s---. Everybody knows the guy is a s---bag.

2. Default

GSP would murder Askren. And Bjorn is just lying anyways.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

I honestly wonder how Eddie Alvarez feels about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    GSP would murder Askren. And Bjorn is just lying anyways.
    x2. Not even a fight I would be interested in watching that much
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

askren would maul GSP but yeah Rebney a true pos so he has some sort of agenda i'd bet he would only let him go for the one fight

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by mma #1 fan View Post
    askren would maul GSP but yeah Rebney a true pos so he has some sort of agenda i'd bet he would only let him go for the one fight
    I don't think he beats anyone in the top 5 let alone GSP lol

There's some kinda hidden agenda here for sure. With that said, Gsp makes askren look stupid. Kos, Condit, Rory, and shields beat Askren imo

It could be a cheap ploy. If the UFC says you get this opponent, and this many fights at this amount, then Bellator contractually can say, "Oh, well, even though we said we'd let you go, we still have this contract thing and we'll match that plus this, this, and this".
    You have to know what you don't know.

I dont think BR is too worried about losing Askren to the UFC but he would like a positive spin out of it.

If Askren was signed and given an immidiate title shot it would validate Bellator camps (as legit threats to UFC champs) and get a boring fighter out of Bellators hair.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information