Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: Coach says GSP may retire following Hendricks bout

Default Report: Coach says GSP may retire following Hendricks bout

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/10/1...-167-hendricks

UFC Welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has been muttering vague hints that he's considering retirement for a while now. According to a tweet from MMA Nouvell there may be more to it than just muttering:

MMANOUVELLES @MMA_NOUVELLES

@arielhelwani Firas just told @tvasports that if GSP does not have the motivation after Hendricks fight, he will retire.
    9:30 AM - 10 Oct 2013
    Firas is GSP's head trainer Firas Zahabi of Tristar Gym. GSP is set to face Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 in November.

This is a slight change from what Zahabi was telling the press this spring:

"If he fights Hendricks, I think (GSP) could fight for longer. He could have more fights after that. If he fights Anderson Silva, I could really see that being his last fight. He'll retire after that because there won't be a bigger fight for him to do, I think, anymore in his career."

Short of Rory, after Hendricks, who's left?

Quote Originally Posted by Leucoethiops View Post
    Maybe another shot for Condit.. but other than that its looking like some slim pickings.

Pettis. Bendo. Aldo if he moves up which he seems agreeable with. Grant , Maynard, lil diaz , etc etc etc. Obviously no guarantees on the future but as mentioned GSP will have put a hurting on his div if he beats Hendricks and has said it would be easier to cut to 155 than bulk to 185. He never jumped on the Anderson Silva superfight hypetrain and I for one never expected to see him at MW. So the only other option that doesn't include retirement........is LW. I can dream but it is totally possible.
    Worth mentioning:The UFC Poster Curse says GSP will be losing to Big Rig so we'll see what happens.
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

"If he fights Hendricks, I think (GSP) could fight for longer. He could have more fights after that. If he fights Anderson Silva, I could really see that being his last fight. He'll retire after that because there won't be a bigger fight for him to do, I think, anymore in his career."
    I am really wondering if this is before or after Weidman did what I and lots of you figured he'd do.

The day that happened and Dana through Andy's superfights out the window thats the day that made this newest statement make
    complete sense.

With GSP's wanting to retire without injury motto and wanting to retire the best Silva has lost to someone in his division recently out right and GSP has nothing to gain with that fight now. And with Rorys age and ranking and them not fighting each other Hendricks is the last fighter at WW right now to be worthy of GSP or pose any threat next to Askren.

I dont know fact's or how it is but unless Askren is signed before this fight I believe GSP will retire post fight with Rogan tosssing the torch to Rory. (Thats with a Win).

Heard it here first.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

I also believe this is GSP passing the torch to Roy and he has always saud he wanted to retire in a reasonable time frame to enjoy the rest of his life. GSP has always been a great figher and great for the sport as well. Personally I feel GSP is pfp champ on many levels and if he does retire I want to thank him for all the enjoyment his fights have given us over the years.
    never argue with a fool. people listening may not know the difference.

GSP does not want to go out like Liddell or Hughes. He has enough money at this point to live comfortably. The UFC would give him a job in a heart beat or he could coach at well, probably both. And after Hendricks there is no one left. Even if he was willing to fight Rory, would anyone want to see that fight? GSP dominates that fight with ease right now.

Hendricks seems like his last and greast challenge. A badass wrestler that hits like a mack truck and has no gear but full speed ahead. So if there ever was a last hooray for GSP this would be the perfect fight.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Rick Story Helping GSP Prep For Showdown With Hendricks

http://www.bjpenn.com/rick-story-hel...+NEWS+BLOGS%29

There always is going to be someone to face. Everytime there are going to be contenders, there are going to be fighters having a good win streak so people would talk about how they would do against the champion.

If GSP is indeed not motivated anymore, then it is the best idea for him to retire. I would not like to see him like Bj Penn or Mirko Crocop, where it is more than obvious that their motivation ended a long time ago but they still fight...and well we have seen their results. Brutal loss after brutal loss
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

He should move up and weight and see what he can do there. At least challenge himself to go thru the MW rankings and make a challenge at belt, win, then retire.

Thread Information