+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Report: Coach says GSP may retire following Hendricks bout

1. Default

GSP has class & money and retiring on top is classy plus his name will still bring in big money. Just his name on a gym would sell for good $$$$ So as a fan ya it sucks to hear him want to retire, but doesn't mean he'll stop working.

GSP as the UFC/ZUFFA ambassador for Canadian operations/public relationship would be a pretty plush position to give him, since he's already achieved sports icon level status.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...-anytime-soon/
    Zahabi: GSP not planning retirement anytime soon
    Last week a story surfaced with Firas Zahabi stating that if Geoges St-Pierre lost the motivation to train, he may retire after his next bout. Today Zahabi clarified his comments, noting that they were taken out of context:

Zahabi said that St-Pierre, who has been champion since April, 2008, has always maintained that when he hits the point that he loses his full motivation in his training camps, he will retire from the sport.

But Zahabi said that such is not the case now, as St-Pierre prepares to meet Hendricks on Nov. 16 in Las Vegas. While St-Pierre's previous two training camps, for title defenses against Carlos Condit and Nick Diaz, weren't so great because he was coming off a knee injury, the Hendricks camp has been his best in a long time.

"GSP has always that said if he loses the drive to really go through with a great training camp and push himself, then he will retire," Zahabi said through Helwani. "GSP's camp has been his best in years, last two not so great, because he was so rusty because of the knee injury."

As much as i hate to say this, i think its best if he retires now while hes still on top.

We all selfishly want to see 'one more fight' from the legends but for GSP's sake its best to quit while your ahead,got you health amd your legend intact.

Of course if he loses to hendricks ( which he wont) he will be back. We all know how competitive he is and im sure he would need to avenge that ( which he wont because i think the hendricks fight will be a blowout win for GSP).

i feel like this is said in some how before each of his fights. take it with a grain of salt for now.

... and GSP says he isn't retiring. We have been hearing rumours and stories about GSP retiring for a while now. I'll believe it when he makes an official announcement. If it comes in the next year, I'll then wait to see him come out of retirement for a big money fight. Why would he walk away from a sure deal as long as he is champ, at a competitive age?
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

Makes sense for him to retire if he wins against Hendricks; if he loses, he may as well fight him again, and have the trilogy if he comes out on top in GSP/Hendricks II

Quote Originally Posted by Leucoethiops View Post
    Makes sense for him to retire if he wins against Hendricks; if he loses, he may as well fight him again, and have the trilogy if he comes out on top in GSP/Hendricks II
    I agree, but, even if he wins I can't see him throwing away the guaranteed pay days he receives. Who else currently presents a threat that he wouldn't cash a few more multi-million dollar cheques?
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

Quote Originally Posted by SMGRIFFIN View Post
    I agree, but, even if he wins I can't see him throwing away the guaranteed pay days he receives. Who else currently presents a threat that he wouldn't cash a few more multi-million dollar cheques?
    Yeah if money is his motivation, maybe... But the landscape is slim pickings right now...

GSP probably won't fight Rory.
    Ellenberger's coming off a loss.
    Condit just got back in the win column.
    Matt Brown is going to lose to Condit.
    Maia's coming off a loss.
    Shield's has strung a few wins together, but no one will be begging for that rematch.
    Lawler would need another win over a top guy.
    Pierce is coming off a loss.
    Lombard hasn't had a fight.
    Marquardt will probably be cut after he loses to Lombard.

What's left? Matt Serra trilogy?

I think GSP is set for life, and seems smart enough to mitigate risk where possible; by walking away with his status and mental faculties intact.

10. Default

Money isn't that big of a motovation when you already have lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Talk of huge paydays gets most excited at the time, but get in the middle of a 8 week training camp it's easy to hold back. GSP is a smart fighter, but other champions lost there lust to fight after winning it Page for one.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information