+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Palhares banned for LIFE from the UFC

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    serious question, and by no means am i trying to defend paul harris but how is holding a submission any worse than pounding a guy who is already KTFO with a few extra shots after he is out. Clearly Erik Silva was out and Stungun landed that vicious hammer fist to add icing on top of the cake yet that is encouraged and holding a submission a little longer is considered "unsportsmanlike"
    I think we're discussing extra shots after the ref says stop or after the bell and subs held after the person tapped or after the ref signaled the fight over. While I agree it is very sportsmanlike to stop punching after you know a guy is out before the ref realizes it, but both enter the cage/ring knowing that the rules allow for a person to go bananas on you until the ref says stop.
    You have to know what you don't know.

serious question, and by no means am i trying to defend paul harris but how is holding a submission any worse than pounding a guy who is already KTFO with a few extra shots after he is out. Clearly Erik Silva was out and Stungun landed that vicious hammer fist to add icing on top of the cake yet that is encouraged and holding a submission a little longer is considered "unsportsmanlike"
    Going to have to disagree with you on that one. The reaction time/decision into moving in for that hammer fist vs holding a sub is much different. When StunGun threw that list hammer fist, he didn't know if Silva was out or if Silva was going to recover. Stopping a swinging fist is a lot different than letting go of a hold once you feel the guy tap. Palhares even held it for a second or two once the referee was on him. In the case of a guy doing a few extra shots, I agree that should be punished a lot more than it is but there just seems to be a more conscious choice to hold a sub longer vs extra shots once a guy is out. If you know he's out and you choose to hit him more you should be treated just like Palhares but if you don't know he's out when you throw a punch or two (really should only be two max), you should be punished but to a lesser extent.
    The Jets have won more Superbowls than you have.

by no means am i trying to defend paul harris
    Please, we are not Sherdog and let's not bring their retarded jokes here.
    For some reason they think it is so funny to say things like Paul harris instead of Palhares or "Michael Crocop" instead of Mirko.

As for your question, it depends if ref has already stopped the fight or not.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenWarrior View Post
    Going to have to disagree with you on that one. The reaction time/decision into moving in for that hammer fist vs holding a sub is much different. When StunGun threw that list hammer fist, he didn't know if Silva was out or if Silva was going to recover. Stopping a swinging fist is a lot different than letting go of a hold once you feel the guy tap. Palhares even held it for a second or two once the referee was on him. In the case of a guy doing a few extra shots, I agree that should be punished a lot more than it is but there just seems to be a more conscious choice to hold a sub longer vs extra shots once a guy is out. If you know he's out and you choose to hit him more you should be treated just like Palhares but if you don't know he's out when you throw a punch or two (really should only be two max), you should be punished but to a lesser extent.
    Maybe the stungun ko was a bad example - i used it only because it was the same card but i better example would be rampage vs wandy in the ufc. Yves is literally trying to drag page of wandy and still gives him like 3 extra shots and that looked at as a great thing. Idk i just feel that the UFC is doing whatever they can to pick and choose who/and what they suspend or cut for and the majority of the time its based on the fighters name rather than the action

Whatcha gonna do Brother, when the New World Order destroys you?

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    No other fighter that I can think of has any problem with this (aside from the aforementioned Babalu).
    Really is a shame though, because the guy could have contended. There's no argument about his skills.
    Not disputing but this made me think of BJ holding the RNC on Pulver while the ref was trying to pry it loose.

But I just don't think Palhares had the skills to contend. Am I the only one that really thinks this? I'm not saying you are wrong or trying to argue....I just feel like I'm the only one that thought he wasn't that good.

Because you are in complete control of the submission (in this situation for instance) where the KO can be a flash where your opponent recovers quickly and you are trained to fight until the match has been stopped (stopped being the key). If that were the case, Pierce was tapping Palhares on the thigh easily hard enough for him to know he tapped (not counting him yelling "tap") but continued to crank, so it would still be the same as your example. My thinking anyway..
    Last edited by TN94z; 10-11-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

Quote Originally Posted by classicironman View Post
    Frank Mir won't hessitate to break arms and tear ligamints even when unnecessary and Dana has no problem keeping him in the main event even when loosing to top fighters but Palhares banned for life and cheated out of the bonus he easily earned ? We see Dana's double standards all the time but this one is extreme load of crap even for Dana.

I strongly disagree. totally different scenarios. when frank mir broke silvias arm Sylvia didn't know it was broken. Nogera and mir had a battle to prove who has better bjj. Nog was to proud to tap. now what should Mir do? He earned the position and nog couldn't get out. I blame Nog for making frank break his shoulder apart. Now, palhares is devious as a snake. People are tapping like crazy in pain and he holds on long after the ref is trying to separate them! were talking fucking people up after they have given up....that's maggot low. Its a douche move..plain and simple. I may seem to coming off as to harse on palhares but what he does is so wrong. Its a disgrace to every other respectable fighter. Now you can try to blame the "he's in the zone and doesn't realize it" that said...he shouldn't be fighting then. People are terrified of going to the ground with this guy and for good reason.

It sucks cause he's talented and looks super powerful at ww.
    Favorite fighters:
    HW- Mir, Brock, Fedor, Cain
    LHW-Shogun, Tito, Mousasi. Rampage
    MW-Hendo, Sonnen, Mayhem M
    WW-GSP, C Condit>Nick diaz, Fitch wonderboy?
    LW-Penn, Edgar, Cerrone, pettis
    FW-Aldo, Homenik,

Fighters I LOATH 1-BISPING

http://www.mmanews.com/forums/showth...29#post1052929
    Mike Pierce on Rousimar Palhares fight: 'I'm just really pissed off right now'

When a guy gets hit, there is no telling how fast he will recover, and you can bet if he does recover that he is still going to fight. When a guy taps out he has already given up, he literally is quitting the fight.. it is over. Also add in the fact that palhares continues to hold on after the ref intervenes, while people like hendo and stungun stop immediately when the ref comes in. When someone continues to beat the shit out of an opponent after the ref comes in, like sokudou, people still cry outrage.

Lol, the worst thing about the Paul Daley sucker punch was he didn't make it count. I in no way condone a sucker punch after the bell(even though I can't think of a more deserving guy outside of bisping), but if your going to throw your job away... At least make it a good punch... Am I right?

But joking aside... What palhares did, and has done, is worse in my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information