Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Palhares banned for LIFE from the UFC

One fc

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    I do not see any apology
    Palhares: Dana White, I am asking for your forgiveness
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...r-forgiveness/

"Dana White, if you think my attitude was not positive inside the Octagon, I ask you with an open-hearted man, that you forgive me, I'm sorry, okay? Because this was not my intention.

"But I respect the decision of the UFC and Dana White. So what you decide, for me, is decide it

MMA Quick Quote: Jon Fitch would 'turn down' fight with Rousimar Palhares
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/10/12/4...simar-palhares

"It was a second offense," said Fitch. "Holding onto a submission too long, especially with a joint lock like that. You're talking about ending someone's career potentially. I think it was the right move (to release him). I personally wouldn't accept a fight with [Palhares] because of those. One time maybe, but not twice. I would never even compete against him honestly. If he's got that long of a history of holding onto them too long, his career should probably be done because no one should take a fight with him or a grappling match with him for that matter. It would be the first time in my career that I turned down a fight."

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    I feel that this decision is far too severe UNLESS Pierce sustained a significant injury from the hold.
    He is suspended for 180 days so I guess that indeed he has a significant injury.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Alex Davis: Rousimar Palhares, from transgressor to victim of public opinion

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/1...public-opinion

Next thing that will happen, is that Rousimar – through a simple, crazy media frenzy – will become such a monster that parents will tell their kids at home, "Behave, or Rousimar Palhares will come and get you."
    lol
    Last edited by infidelkastro; 10-12-2013 at 07:45 PM.

The comparing this to a knockout with shots landed afterward is ridiculous. It makes me think of Matt Brown vs Drago. At one point Brown looks at the ref like "dude, what the fuck are you doing? Just stop the fight." And continues to hit him until the ref stops the fight. That's what they're trained to do.

Holding on to a sub after someone taps or the ref tries to pull them off is totally different. And doing it multiple times is completely inexcusable.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Quote Originally Posted by infidelkastro View Post
    Alex Davis: Rousimar Palhares, from transgressor to victim of public opinion

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/1...public-opinion

lol
    Lol indeed. I see things so much more clearly now that Alex Davis has explained it: Palhares is the real victim in all of this!

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    The comparing this to a knockout with shots landed afterward is ridiculous. It makes me think of Matt Brown vs Drago. At one point Brown looks at the ref like "dude, what the fuck are you doing? Just stop the fight." And continues to hit him until the ref stops the fight. That's what they're trained to do.

Holding on to a sub after someone taps or the ref tries to pull them off is totally different. And doing it multiple times is completely inexcusable.
    I agree with most of what you're saying. But subs are no different from strikes in that you have to keep going until the ref calls the fight. But it certainly shouldn't take the ref grabbing your arms and trying to force someone to stop the sub.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    that would be true if this was an isolated incident but he has done this before
    Repeat offender status should absolutely be taken into account; but, I don't think he held the sub on Pierce particularly long, to be honest.

In my opinion, the line between MMA as a gentleman's sport, and a combat sport has been blurred to some extent. In a perfect world, when one fighter tapped, the other fighter would immediately be aware of it, and release the sub without any ref intervention; and the tapping fighter would acknowledge that he or she tapped.

But that unwritten agreement doesn't exist, and it's impossible to definitively categorize what situations warrant one fighter withdrawing or ceasing their attack, based on another fighter's predicament; it's also unfair to place that kind of decision making on the fighter, that's not their job. That's the referee's job.

Given what I think is a grey area in the sport, I don't think Palhares should have immediately been banned. I think the professional thing to have done (Given Palhares past) would have been a sitdown, a review of the incident, and a discussion of expectations moving forward; while making it known he was on thin ice and was going to have no leeway in the future. But, perhaps that sitdown and discussion already happened, maybe that's why he's gone; I have no way of knowing.

Bottom line, Palhares was punished for doing his job without abiding an unwritten code of ethics; because he didn't hold onto that sub for any length of time after the ref jumped in.

He was tried and convicted in a court of public opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    in addition to getting caught juicing and accusing others of greasing with his only evidence being his trademark leg lock dind't work.

he is also essentially a glorified cody mckenzie if he doesnt win by leg lock he doesnt win. he doesnt even have great bjj besides that he got knocked out by belcher from like half guard.
    Aside from the juicing incident, the rest is all irrelevant.
    Last edited by Leucoethiops; 10-13-2013 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    He is suspended for 180 days so I guess that indeed he has a significant injury.
    That is just precautionary. He can be cleared by a doctor at any time. We won't know whether or not the injury is significant until they do an MRI.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Thread Information