Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Palhares banned for LIFE from the UFC

‘Angry’ Mike Pierce open to Rousimar Palhares rematch, says UFC made right decision to cut 'Toquinho'
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/10/14/4...-hook-knee-mma
    Appearing on "The MMA Hour," Pierce talked about the incident and gave an update on the status of his ankle and knee:

"It's feeling a lot better. I'm still a little angry as you expect me to be, but, tomorrow I go in and get the MRI to see the exact extent of the damage on my knee and my ankle. Right now, it's feeling okay, I can walk and put weight on it. There could be a real issue there, I'm just not 100-percent sure. I can't describe it. I felt it pop a couple of times, once in my ankle and once in my knee. The MRI is going to be the determining factor to what the extent is."

As far as the "pops" Mike heard, he says he heard them after he tapped out:

"I felt it after the ref was already on top of us and I was tapping the ref so it was long after. It was after the fact. I think it's pretty clear to everybody who is looking at it honestly that he held on to it too long. I have no problem submitting if I'm caught or the potential of serious danger. That's why I tapped to begin with, because I knew I was caught and I wasn't getting out of it. But to hold on to it to the extent that he did, there was no reason for that, it was unnecessary. I was already giving up at that point because I knew I'd been caught."

Pierce gave his thoughts on whether or not Palhares has psychological issues:

"I'm not a psychologist nor do I really care, the fact of the matter is that he didn't let go and it's been a chronic problem for a long time so he needs to address the problem one way or another, how he does that, I really don't care, but it needs to be fixed."

Furthermore, Pierce said he wasn't too shocked Palhares pulled what he did, saying he almost expected something like that out of the Brazilian going into the fight based on his history (he called it):

Of course, I was expecting it. This has been a problem for him a long time. He got nailed for this in the UFC a couple fights back and even before he UFC he had problems with that at jiu-jitsu tournaments. I mean, didn't Bustamante just come out and say he did that in practice? Obviously, there is a history with this guy holding onto heel hooks. Whether it's intentional or unintentional, doesn't really matter, the fact of the matter is that he is hurting guys and people are tapping like I was and he is holding on to it for a just a fraction of a second too long to the point where it does damage."

As far as Rousimar being released by UFC, Pierce said it was the right decision to make:

"You know, that's up to Dana. I think he made the right decision. I think the commission made the right decision. This guy is hurting people and unnecessarily so. I understand if people get hurt, that's part of the sport and it's going to happen, but, to do what he did was very unsportsmanlike and pretty much goes against all the codes of conduct the UFC puts on us athletes."

In the end, Pierce says bottom line, Rousimar should have known better than to hold on longer than needed:

"Here is my point, the guy is a black belt in jiu-jitsu. My point is, he has plenty of experience in jiu-jitsu. He knows what the point of no return is, he knows how long is too long and there is no excuse for that, to go further than it needs to, unless you have bad intentions or really want to prove a point, maybe he has psychological issues, I don't know. I'm not a psychologist to make that decision, but I think he should have known better."

I am surprised to see people on here supporting Palhares. Its not like this is the first time he has done this. And to compare it to punches before the ref steps in is just crazy. He is a repeat offender and a juicer. Roid rage is a bitch and it caught up to him. I could care less if he is suspended for life. He had potential but he flushed it all away.

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    The comparing this to a knockout with shots landed afterward is ridiculous. It makes me think of Matt Brown vs Drago. At one point Brown looks at the ref like "dude, what the fuck are you doing? Just stop the fight." And continues to hit him until the ref stops the fight. That's what they're trained to do.

Holding on to a sub after someone taps or the ref tries to pull them off is totally different. And doing it multiple times is completely inexcusable.
    The Brown comparison is a terrible one. If Palhares had him in a hold knowing his joints were tearing and Pierce wasn't tapping and looked at the ref like "dude, what the fuck are you doing? Just stop the fight" it would be a great comparison.

A more appropriate comparison would be Mike Kyle when the ref tackled him off his opponent and he still went after him.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/1...t-of-adcc-2013
    Rousimar Palhares out of ADCC 2013

Someone's knee thanks him.

I could see a full meltdown given the recent chain of events. (His doing, of course)
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Not surprised. Now he has a stigma that's way more popular now. Rather be safe than sorry.
    You have to know what you don't know.

‘Minotauro’ on Palhares: ‘He has never thought of doing anything evil to any opponent’
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/1...ht-29-mma-news

"I can say that in our gym, ‘Toquinho’ has never hurt anyone," Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira, the leader of Team Nogueira in Rio de Janeiro, stated in a release sent to MMAFighting.com. "He is a good person, excellent company and a man with a great character. I believe that he has never thought of doing anything evil to any opponent because this isn’t his conduct.

"I don’t question UFC’s decision because the people who are in control have a global view of the business and they understand it better than anyone in the whole business that involves our sport."

UFC president Dana White said that what Palhares’ did "was wrong and really despicable", and that’s why he decided to release him. The Brazilian, who was already suspended in the past for holding a submission too long, was suspended for 120 days by the Brazilian Athletic Comission (CABMMA) following his 31-second win at UFN 29.

"Minotauro", a jiu-jitsu expect with 21 submission victories, has never finished a fight with ankle locks or heel hooks, but he says the fighter needs to be "explosive" to get the win with attacks like these.

"It’s a dangerous position and the guy who applies it has to be explosive," he said. "At the time, you don’t look at the opponent. ‘Toquinho’ lost the position several times because he released the grip a little. It’s a position that you go with everything or you lose it. It’s a complicated situation. The referee needs to be aware and has to intervene in an energetic way."

Rogerio "Minotouro" Nogueira, "Minotauro’s" twin brother, defended his teammate as well.

"I've known Rousimar for years," "Minotouro" said. "As an athlete he’s a phenom, and as a person he’s loved by everyone, especially for his simplicity. Anyone who knows the history of his life will be enchanted with his modesty and dedication to the sport. ‘Toquinho’ was always the first to arrive and the last to leave the gym, always a great help to our athletes, and we’re sure he will continue to do so because Team Nogueira will always be by his side."

I don't doubt any of what Nog is saying.

I've known guys who were absolutely the nicest dudes on the planet during practice and on the street and then, during games, they'd twist fingers, poke eyes, undercut, elbow, etc. and not even bat an eye.

This was not an isolated incident. Palhares has a problem. He admitted such by visiting a sports psychologist.

I hope he figures out whatever it is in him that snaps when he's competing and is able to salvage a career because he is a gifted submission artist who came from what I understand to be an absolutely horrible upbringing.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/1...palhares-fight
    Mike Pierce adds torn ankle ligament to injuries suffered in Palhares fight

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/1...palhares-fight
    Mike Pierce adds torn ankle ligament to injuries suffered in Palhares fight
    Well there goes the excuse that Mike walked away and wasn't injured.

Thread Information