Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘Rampage vs. Tito’ Ticket Sales Confirm That Bellator Is Pretty Much F*cked, You Guys

Default ‘Rampage vs. Tito’ Ticket Sales Confirm That Bellator Is Pretty Much F*cked, You Guys

The ticket sales for Bellator’s November 2nd pay-per-view debut are bad — basically as bad as they could possibly be less than a month out from the card.

On Friday, MMAJunkie’s John Morgan tweeted that the PPV had sold only approximately 1,700 tickets, with another 2,000 on consignment. Matt Roth of MMAMania noted just how dire the situation really is. He pointed out that the venue can hold over 13,000 people, meaning that Bellator would have to sell in the neighborhood of 10,000 tickets in less than 20 days to secure a sellout. That probably isn’t going to happen — not even if Tito Ortiz and Rampage Jackson became giants like in the awful trailer for the PPV.

Bjorn Rebney better be prepared to get a job at his dad’s Winnebago dealership; winter is coming for Bellator. Nobody is going to attend their PPV, and it’s probable that, at an expected price between $35-45, nobody is going to purchase their PPV either. Nobody gives a fuck about their product and their titles are considered worthless. If the UFC stacked three title fights on a card, you’d expect success, even if it were the titles for the three lightest weight classes. But with Bellator, which is offering three title fights on its PPV (although one is a dubious interim title), nobody knows or cares. Hell, we’re a site whose fanbase is comprised pretty much of entirely hardcore fans, and judging by the front page poll, a third of you never even watch Bellator. If they can’t get the hardcores, what fucking chance do they have at getting the casual fans to drop money on this PPV?

Even more concerning is a recent report from MMAPayout about Bellator 102, which UFC “star” Cheick Kongo headlined. The show’s gate was only $73,410.43. A paltry 1,482 people attended the show but nearly half of those tickets (604 of them to be precise) were comped. Now, are you ready to be really amazed? Let’s look at the salaries.

Kongo made $60,000 for his fight against Mark Godbeer, who made $15,000. So the main event alone accounted for more money than the entire show made in ticket sales. The total salary payout for the entire card, including Kongo and Godbeer, was $308,000.

Subtract the gate from the salaries and you get $234,589.57 — that’s what Bellator lost on the show, or at least that’s the amount of money that Bellator needs to make up through sponsorships and other deals. “Well Viacom is rich and can take a loss on Bellator,” you say? True enough, it seems at first that Viacom could pull off the whole Ted Turner-WCW thing, but Viacom already paid $50 million for an inferior product and a Dana White lookalike. And that product is proving that it’s not financially sustainable. How much longer will Viacom decide to keep the sick man of MMA on life support?

It’s rare, but we’re going to have to agree with Dana White here: There’s no value to Bellator. The promotion still features some insanely talented fighters, but financially, they’re worse in the shit than Enron or WaMu. Get ready for Dana to add another name to the tombstone.
    http://www.cagepotato.com/rampage-vs...cked-you-guys/
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

So Chandler and Alvarez in the UFC is a possibility lol

All I thought during this entire article was how poorly written it was, and then to no surprise of mine...Cage Potato. Can't we ban them like MMABay?

Okay, back on topic. Did anyone ever really think Bellator was going to make it though?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    All I thought during this entire article was how poorly written it was, and then to no surprise of mine...Cage Potato. Can't we ban them like MMABay?

Okay, back on topic. Did anyone ever really think Bellator was going to make it though?
    Going to show my pro wrestling fanboy side for a second...

Bellator could have made it if they decided not to become the MMA version of TNA. Picking up rejects of the top company and then try to compete with them in court and in ratings is never a good idea. No one wants to pay to watch Rampage and Tito. No one is showing up to watch Kongo. The few people that do show up to their shows are there just because Bellator showed up in their home town and wanted to watch some MMA live.

In pro wrestling there is this very well run and awesome company called Ring of Honor. They know ahead of time they will never ever be able to compete with the WWE and do not try too. Most of the top wrestlers in the world come out of their company (CM Punk, Samoa Joe, Daniel Bryan to name a few). When their top talent leaves for the WWE they do not sue to keep them there. They accept it and replace them with another up and comer. There is a niche for this in MMA. Bellator could have fit that niche and would still be going strong.
    Dude, I’m a wrestler. I’m the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. That’s all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Yea it's a terrible article. I wanted to drum up some conversation about ticket sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I cannot take any article seriously if it uses swear words to get its point across.

Bjorn Rebney better be prepared to get a job at his dad’s Winnebago dealership
    Apparently he is actually the son if the infamous Winnebago man? Didn't know that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWUWPx2VeQ

My brother and I were just taking about it yesterday and we gave Bellator two years before they shut down. I think we were being generous.
    Last edited by Fe1; 10-14-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

9. Default

Article was fine you Nancys.

Proof is Bellator is fucked and dead. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    My brother and I were just taking about it yesterday and we gave Bellator two years before they shut down. I think we werbeing generous.
    Hard to say with Viacom backing them...

How long did the UFC bleed red ink before it started to make money? With Viacom money, anything is possible.

With that said, whats the chances Glory is a hit on Spike and they just decide to drop Bellator all together?

Thread Information