Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘Rampage vs. Tito’ Ticket Sales Confirm That Bellator Is Pretty Much F*cked, You Guys

Wonder if this means I can get super cheap tickets to the fight? Since its in Long Beach.

They moved away from being a second tier MMA promotion, and while trying to elevate their product hired second tier fighters for much more then they were worth. Kongo isnt a draw, he shouldn't be making more then 15k. It's like they think people forget why a fighter was cut from the UFC. Should of stayed in the middle, built up fighters like they were doing and enjoyed success, now they are forgetting about the fighters that made them anything and started pushing UFC cast-offs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

As long as Bellator continue hiring B/C level UFC rejects, they will never be in a good economical position.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Hard to say with Viacom backing them...

How long did the UFC bleed red ink before it started to make money? With Viacom money, anything is possible.

With that said, whats the chances Glory is a hit on Spike and they just decide to drop Bellator all together?
    Right, but how long before Viacom gets tired of losing money?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

After this PPV turns out a massive bust I could see Viacom packing it in.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Right, but how long before Viacom gets tired of losing money?
    I don't know if they are. They're getting MMA programming on SPIKE, which is why they bought them to begin with and why they might eventually buy TNA.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I don't know if they are. They're getting MMA programming on SPIKE, which is why they bought them to begin with and why they might eventually buy TNA.
    Viacom didn't make so much money by losing it. They are a smart business ran by insanely smart business people. They are waiting to see what happens with this PPV and if Bellator crashes and burns I bet it will be on the market before the end of 2014.
    Dude, I’m a wrestler. I’m the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. That’s all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    Viacom didn't make so much money by losing it. They are a smart business ran by insanely smart business people. They are waiting to see what happens with this PPV and if Bellator crashes and burns I bet it will be on the market before the end of 2014.
    You're absolutely right, especially after the jump from MTV2 to SPIKE didn't really wind up how they wanted.

However, for SPIKE, they're big into original programming and pulling in a certain number of viewers from the key demos. TNA and Bellator both do a number that alot of other original shows wouldn't. They're not pulling COPS numbers(which have been huge for them) but for original programming, I wonder if after advertisements etc, they pull in a profit or at least write it off because it fills key timeslots and is more cost effective than producing an original scripted program. They bought BFC so not to lose the MMA programming, they're not getting what they want out of it, but I'm not gauging the PPV as a do-or-die situation, rather a litmus test for how far out they can go from their comfort zone.

Oh and found this just now:
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/cheick-kong...-ppv-main-card

Let me join the choir and say that this article is poorly written. Quotes like these are the work of amateurs:

Bjorn Rebney better be prepared to get a job at his dad’s Winnebago dealership; winter is coming for Bellator. Nobody is going to attend their PPV, and it’s probable that, at an expected price between $35-45, nobody is going to purchase their PPV either. Nobody gives a fuck about their product and their titles are considered worthless.
    This article does have some redeeming qualities. I've been dying to know what Bellator expects to charge for their PPV debut, and $35-$45 does seem a bit high. I was expecting something like $29.95. It's not that the PPV is a poor quality product, but I assumed they would look to draw the biggest audience possible, with an eye towards building brand awareness. Then, if the card generates some buzz, they could incrementally up the price for each subsequent card. Considering how many UFC/Bellator events are on TV for free, it seems like the pricing will shut out anyone who isn't an ultra-hardcore fan, and most of those people know how to ride a stream.

Bellator has been drawing solid ratings for their Friday night shows, but the fact that ticket sales don't cover the production cost for the event (i.e. ticket sales can't cover the cost of fighter salaries, as in the Kongo example) is a major deviation from the UFC model. I'm sure that Bellator does well with their TV/advertising deal, but it doesn't seem healthy that they suffer a net loss at the gate for each show they put on. And this trend seems to be continuing for the PPV, if this report of poor ticket sales is to be believed.

One last thing, this article sheds some light on why Bjorn has been chirping in the UFC/Dana's direction so much recently. All this talk about; (1) I'll let Ben Askren go if the UFC gives him an immediate title shot, (2) I haven't gotten a reply from Dana, and (3) I'll have to re-sign Ben if I don't hear from the UFC, is completely bullshit. And he's obviously doing this to help out the poor ticket sales.

I'm afraid that Bellator might find out the hard way that the dude who casually watches their Friday night events because nothing else is on TV, is NOT the same guy who will spend $45 for a PPV. That guy will probably just find something else to watch for free on the night of the PPV.
    Last edited by trustkill; 10-14-2013 at 02:08 PM.

I hope this just shakes Viacomm into updating the strategy to be no more PPV, focus on network and talent promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    That's ridiculous. Why double down with only a few weeks to sell and promote?! I really wonder who's running the show and how much pressure they're under...

Thread Information