Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘Rampage vs. Tito’ Ticket Sales Confirm That Bellator Is Pretty Much F*cked, You Guys

Default Bellator's November 2 PPV Effort Has Reportedly Only Sold 1,700 Tickets

Bellator's November 2 PPV Effort Has Reportedly Only Sold 1,700 Tickets

Bellator's November 2 pay-per-view could be a major bust if a recent report that they've sold less than 2,000 tickets is accurate.

Bellator's first pay-per-view effort was promoted with a sort of pro-wrestling spin originally (and via actual pro wrestling later), with a sort of false fight between Rampage Jackson and Roy Jones Jr. leaked to the media before the surprise appearance of Tito Ortiz to announce that he would be the one taking on Rampage. Setting aside that both men are shells of the great fighters they once were, it was a kind of masterful moment that created a rare kind of buzz in the industry. After all, how often are media reports that wrong and a PPV main event hidden well enough that a shock announcement makes it all the way to TV?

But the reality is that the main event is Tito vs. Rampage at least five years too late. And, while there are compelling undercard fights, they're fights with fighters that people expect to be able to see for free, not top drawing PPV talents. Bellator doesn't have the established brand to where they can get away with throwing those guys on a PPV the same way as the UFC. And one of their key attempts to sell the fight was a string of appearances on TNA wrestling for Tito and Rampage that even I (an admitted pro-wrestling fan) couldn't find as anything other than embarrassing.

And if the PPV news is likely to be bad, John Morgan of MMA Junkie tweeted over the weekend that the live gate numbers aren't better:

As some have pointed out, pricepoint may be an issue here. A few quick images looking for good seats for Bellator on November 2 and the UFC's Fox event in early December:

Sacramento and Long Beach are about a 6.5 hour drive apart, so they're not exactly in the same location, but both events are in California and if you're going to travel to one, would you rather go to UFC on Fox 9 to see a spectacular card headlined by a title fight that will determine the number one lightweight in the world along with a stacked card, or to a Bellator card headlined by Age In A Cage with a good undercard though featuring less notable fighters and fights?

Oh, and the cost for a very good seat is basically identical.

Yes, cageside seats (that's a blog!) are expensive for big fights, but over $275 once you factor in taxes and fees for a cageside seat to a Bellator event seems like crazy talk.

Again, the bad numbers are just a report from John Morgan. But, if true, it's going to look very bad on TV in the 13,500+ seat Long Beach Convention Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    Okay, back on topic. Did anyone ever really think Bellator was going to make it though?
    If they had of stuck to developing their own talent and being content with being the lesser promotion to the UFC I thought they would do ok.

i might go back to saying less then 5k ppv sales

Quote Originally Posted by mma #1 fan View Post
    i might go back to saying less then 5k ppv sales
    I might agree with you this time
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

This ppv will have more livestreamers than actual buyers. Never liked the Tito v Rampage fight, even less with the stupid wrestling build ups.

6. Default

All the "true" MMA fans who scream for more organizations will just steal this PPV and not contribute anything to it. Rinse and repeat.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    All the "true" MMA fans who scream for more organizations will just steal this PPV and not contribute anything to it. Rinse and repeat.
    I won't buy the PPV, but I'm not going to stream it either. I'll wait until the next day and watch the fights I want to, read about the others. I think that's what most people will do.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

A ticket for that costs 265 bucks???
    Damn, who the hell is going to buy that?

With that money I can buy 3 tickets for Cirque du Soleil
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I really hope UFC buys Bellator. Its getting sad at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    A ticket for that costs 265 bucks???
    Damn, who the hell is going to buy that?

With that money I can buy 3 tickets for Cirque du Soleil
    Pretty standard for most UFC events to be over $200... no shortage of people willing to pay it either in most places

Bellator is showing how out to lunch they really our though in trying to get the same price points.

Thread Information