Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘Rampage vs. Tito’ Ticket Sales Confirm That Bellator Is Pretty Much F*cked, You Guys

I dont have an issue with Rampage vs Tito on the card, however it should not be the main event. It really shouldn't even be the Co Main. BFC has a great match-up with Chandler vs Eddie and they could (should) also throw Askren on the card. I can see Rampage vs Tito as being an extra attraction but by making it the main event they are kinda telling the casual fan this is the best we have to offer, 2 guys who the UFC no longer had a use for.

They should have stuck to there original model. Network and tournament. This PPV has loss written all over it. Combine that with casual fans seeing the main even as a UFC cast off (and in this case it really is) it just will not generate that much interest. The sad part is they have some talent yet are for some odd reason refusing to showcase it.

And dont get me started on the Pro Wrasslin build up. I haven't watched it or kept up with it but it has no place in MMA. If Page and Tito want to retire and do a wrestling angle then by all means do it. But I hate wresting and MMA mixing with a pro wrestling story line. I mean really, how many fake fights have they had or will they have after the PPV? How can either one now be taken seriously??

It seems since Viacom partnered up with Bellator they are trying to compete with the UFC which looks to be a death sentence for all other MMA organizations. Personally I think the WEC had the plan correct. They never tried to directly compete with the UFC and put on badass shows time after time. Their product had very good value. These other companies keep picking up UFC fighters past their prime then try to act like they are direct competition which is obviously not the case.

I really enjoy watching them on Spike, not a bad product and very entertaining fights, but I would not pay $50 to watch it. Hope they don't fold, rather them just stay on Spike.

They should consider looking at the old ecw ppv model.

Once a quarter, all top billed guys on the card and all titles up for grabs. Run the tourneys and lower-tier guys on spike. Oh, and 9.99 or 14.95 ppv prices.

Their issue, to me, is they've built a tv product that they're trying to migrate to ppv. Whereas, the ufc is a Ppv model migrated to TV.

I do t think you can up and charge for a product that was once free and expect success.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

The ECW PPV model is kinda what killed ECW though...

Too big, too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Pretty standard for most UFC events to be over $200... no shortage of people willing to pay it either in most places

Bellator is showing how out to lunch they really our though in trying to get the same price points.
    Yes but at least UFC is the biggest MMA promotion in the world and most of the best fighters in the world are there.

If there is a really very good card and I am in a good economical position, then I would consider paying 250 bucks for attending it, knowing that I will watch a show with the best fighters in the world.

However Bellator, they have as a main event a fight between 2 guys that were really relevant 8 years ago and now they are absolutely past their prime, and in the rest of the card, there are plenty of fighters that I have never heard about.

A year ago I attended a Glory event in Moscow, the tickets were about 50 bucks, I had a very good seat, and in that card there were fighters like Semmy Schilt, Jerome LeBanner, Kharitonov, Errol Zimmerman, Ricco Rodriguez, among others.
    Not to mention that the ring girls were beautiful and they were in thongs.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    The ECW PPV model is kinda what killed ECW though...

Too big, too fast.
    Explain.

What killed them was the lack of a network willing to show them weekly without watering them down. Couple that with a raiding of talent from bigger companies and some poor choices and you have their fall.

Bellator has a network and a tv slot.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Explain.

What killed them was the lack of a network willing to show them weekly without watering them down. Couple that with a raiding of talent from bigger companies and some poor choices and you have their fall.

Bellator has a network and a tv slot.
    ECW was dead long before they lost TNN, in fact alot will argue that GETTING TNN was the death knell for the company, since it was basically the guinea pig for TNN to test the ratings waters before spending big on WWF. And while they were heavily raided by WWF/WCW at the time, they had a pretty unlimited resource on the US indies(as they always did) and Japan/Mexico to draw upon(luchas, Tanaka/Awesome from FMW) and could also bring in WWF/WCW rejects to provide name value. True, the guys in the last two years weren't as good as the 95/96 roster, but alot of that falls on Heyman, who knew the company was going tits up and creatively pulled out. By the end, Dreamer was doing 95% of the booking....

ECW were running at an excellent pace and developing their brand and reputation up to the end of 1996 and were doing excellent business drawing great houses etc.

However, by feeling internal and external pressures, Heyman and Gordon felt obligated to compete with WWF and WCW on a national level and they made the leap to PPV far too early for their brand in early 1997, at which point their expenses skyrocketed(due to PPV satellite time, paying for advertising in alot more major markets, along with moving into markets outside of the Northeast where their product was not strong), while they were still basically running the same small venues and working within a constricted budget(which Heyman utterly blew, since he is/was/always will be horrible with money), they got too big to cover costs, since they were still at many levels, a glorified independent promotion.

The more PPVs they started doing, the more money they started bleeding. Guys like Douglas, the Dudleys, Sabu and many others have made comments to the extent that, "before we went on PPV, every cheque cleared, but the moment we started doing PPVs, cheques started coming later and later and started bouncing".

Moving to PPV changed their business model and effected them too negatively. They tried to run bigger arenas with more costly rent and were just spending beyond their means.

Funny thing is, for all of their troubles, had it not been for the PPV expansion and related costs and the utterly shitty cable deal with TNN, coupled with the impact of talent raids and having to sign guys to big contracts they could never honour, they still didn't lose anything close to WCW.

Is anyone surprised this card isn't a scalpers dream? While Tito and Rampage might have been a cool fight years ago, no one is in doubt that it's a pure entertainment draw tied to a Hail Mary for Bellator. At the end of the day, it shows the lack of experience and understanding of the modern fan by the organization.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

I was afraid of the PPV buy rate since it's their first venture. But adding the lack of ticket sales spells disaster for this event. Especially with Rampage and Tito's salaries and (presumed) PPV points. I also would like to know if Alvarez gets PPV points at well since Bellator said they matched UFC's offer, which included points.

Thread Information