+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘Rampage vs. Tito’ Ticket Sales Confirm That Bellator Is Pretty Much F*cked, You Guys

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    I'm just disappointed that chandler vs alverez isn't the main event. Imo Chandler vs Alverez is the pinnacle of what what Bellator has to offer. Instead they jumped ship and are trying to cash in on the ex ufc fighter train.
    Having the championship fight between Chandler and Alvarez be the co-main allows for Rampage/Ortiz to be a 5 round main event. Draws, especially those with legend status, have always had more consideration for main event status than championship fights. Co-main event status is definitely not a bad place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Having the championship fight between Chandler and Alvarez be the co-main allows for Rampage/Ortiz to be a 5 round main event. Draws, especially those with legend status, have always had more consideration for main event status than championship fights. Co-main event status is definitely not a bad place to be.
    i would have to disagree... any title fight should always headline a event over just a "super fight"

Quote Originally Posted by ckauffman28 View Post
    i would have to disagree... any title fight should always headline a event over just a "super fight"
    Well, that's not how it happens in the MMA business. Hype sells better than champions, as the UFC has proven. Ideally though, champions should be higher regarded than "draws".

4. Default

Difference was, when the UFC was breaking through, there wasn't another UFC as the top dog. No one cares about any other organization outside of the UFC. The casuals sure as shit don't, and the hardcore fan base steals their ppvs and streams. Its UFC or bust, anyone else is throwing away money.

The interest is just not there... if your main event is Tito Vs Rampage... there's something wrong... At their prime, it would make a nice co headline... headline if there were a belt involved... However, they 're both past their prime, and is actually being marketed over the bellator product...
    I don't know, but, I'm guessing Bjorn is pushing that PPV to try to cover for the douchiness of the Eddie Alvarez contract dispute...

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Well, that's not how it happens in the MMA business. Hype sells better than champions, as the UFC has proven. Ideally though, champions should be higher regarded than "draws".
    UFC 118

Main event: BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar II for the title

Co-Main event: Randy Couture vs James Toney

The hype going into the card was James Toney making his MMA debut, yet the UFC billed the title fight over it as the main event.

I cant think of an event that had non title fight "draws" having the main event feature over a title fight.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    UFC 118

Main event: BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar II for the title

Co-Main event: Randy Couture vs James Toney

The hype going into the card was James Toney making his MMA debut, yet the UFC billed the title fight over it as the main event.

I cant think of an event that had non title fight "draws" having the main event feature over a title fight.
    i was just about to bring this up... i dont think dana has ever had a non title fight headline when a title would be contested lower

Quote Originally Posted by Ginmortal View Post
    Tif your main event is Tito Vs Rampage..they 're both past their prime, and is actually being marketed over the bellator product...
    You hit it right there. Washed out past their prime UFC fighters take stage over the Bellator product. I'm not trying to sound mean towards Tito and Jackson, it's just the hard truth. They may have a decent fight, but they aren't exactly in Bellator by choice. Hell, just days before Tito's big walk out he was nearly begging DW to let him back into the UFC.

The champions in Bellator should have a wtf look across their face!

i dont think dana has ever had a non title fight headline when a title would be contested lower
    Yeah, I don't believe so.

Quote Originally Posted by rough-n-tumble View Post

The champions in Bellator should have a wtf look across their face!
    Agreed Alvarez I would imagine is thinking why did I come back to play second string to this.

Yeah, I don't believe so.
    They haven't as far as I know the only time where it's even been mentioned was for Rousey's title fight and the debate was whether or not Machida/Henderson should have been the main event. Dana said at the time that title fights would always take precedent as main events

Nothing against Tito/Page, but I'm a big fan of the super fights getting the crowd primed for the title fight which may be more closely challenged and less exciting.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information