Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fedor: I never signed with the UFC because Dana White hated me

Dana White fouled up the Fedor deal by being his regular vindictive self.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Some of your points don;t really help your cause...

Arvloski was a shell of his former self
    Wait, what? Arlovski was at the top of his game. He left the UFC on his own terms, as a top 3 fighter and is the only guy who dana has gone on record saying he wished he'd been able to re-sign. He was NOTHING like a former shell of himself. Most pro-UFC/Fedor haters had him picked to beat Fedor at the time.

This was also before AO spent a year ducking Fedor by being to hurt to do anything but fight dented cans in countries that don't test, and before his incessant attempts to pretend he wasn't juicing convinced everyone he was juicing. SF had a much, much better roster than zuffa.

You also left Mir and Nog off your list for UFC fighters.. not saying they beat everyone on the Strikeforce roster but they could have beat more then a couple on the list.
    Fedor had already beaten Nog, twice, and when Fedor signed with SF, the only ranked fighter Mir had beaten in 5 years was Nog. Mir was no more of a hard ranking than Rogers at that point.

Not debating that Strikeforce heavyweight roster might have been slightly better but it was a pretty small margin in my opinion and doubtful that it would have weighed heavily in things.
    At that point SF had better HW's than the UFC, as Affliction had before them. It wasn't even close.

Plain and simple Fedor didn't sign with the UFC because they wouldn't co promote with M1. Everywhere Fedor went in the ast few years of his career that was part of the deal. Had nothing to do with who had the best heavyweights or whether Dana liked or hated him.
    you are 100% right on your first sentence. The second is bullshit, however.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Rivet is right, it wasnt Overeem, it was a 206 lb Dan Henderson. So 2/3 Heavyweights, and the other 1/3 was a slightly swollen LHW.. Or a badly swollen MW. I guess it depends on what Dan's natural weight class is.
    oh, please. I'm as big a mark for Henderson as anyone on the board, but even if you thought the stoppage was justified, there is no way you could possibly describe the win as anything close to "beating Fedor's ass."

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Dana White fouled up the Fedor deal by being his regular vindictive self.
    Not entirely. I despise dana's practices as much as anyone else here but it was a pefect storm of ego and promotion bullshit. The Fink is every bit as big a bottom feeder as dana, and neither of them care about anything other than money. If there had been one reasonable player in the negotiation, it may have had a chance. But there wasn't, so it didn't.

For the record, I'd still take Fedor over any UFC fighter not named Cain or Junior 50% of the time.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 10-16-2013 at 06:34 AM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Everything Pasha K & rh said!

Thanks for fighting the good fight.

People forget the time that was wasted when PRIDE FC closed down.

Fedor was in the last years of his prime and dana tried for YEARS to get him, all through Affliction and Strikeforce.
    Last edited by Tongan.Death.Grip; 10-16-2013 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivethead
    Not entirely. I despise dana's practices as much as anyone else here but it was a pefect storm of ego and promotion bullshit. The Fink is every bit as big a bottom feeder as dana, and neither of them care about anything other than money. If there had been one reasonable player in the negotiation, it may have had a chance. But there wasn't, so it didn't.

For the record, I'd still take Fedor over any UFC fighter not named Cain or Junior 50% of the time.
    While I long blamed Fink, I believe that Dana White was not only hostile after initial negotiations, but also didn't take into account the cultural differences between he and the fighter he had long hoped to sign. Had Dana been able to disregard his ego and present more amicable concessions, it is very plausible that Fedor could have been signed. Fink asked for the stars but that is how bartering works; you make your initial demands known so that the other side can make such concessions. Dana had gotten used to using ruthlessness in negotiations at that period. Dana was not the sort of man that Fedor respected, which Fedor mentioned on several separate occasions. This is significant because had Dana not spent so much time playing down Fedor's accomplishments, Fedor may have not allowed Fink to continue to ask for too much. I am not saying that Fink and Fedor are faultless, but I feel that this that this is situation is one of Dana's largest failures in an otherwise illustrious career as the UFC president.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

rh
    I've always wondered why Lorenzo never engaged in any negotiation talk with the Fink and Fedor. We all heard the stories about the negotiation (flying to Russia, $30 million contract, M-1 Co-Promotion, , etc), but one would think that with Fedor being the biggest prize on the MMA market at the time, and Dana coming up short in trying to sign up, that Lorenzo would have stepped in and done something. Lorenzo is very much part of the "in" as to what is going in with his company, and being that he is more of a well mannered person than Dana, he most likely would have come to some compromise with M-1 in signing Fedor.

As much as we all blame Dana and the Fink for not making the Fedor signing happen, I give Lorenzo just as much blame for NOT doing anything. I really think he could have been the "reasonable player" in the negotiation talks.

And yes, I completely agree with you on Fedor beating all the UFC HW, but I do give him a shot at beating JDS. With the right motivation, dedication, and trainers, I think Fedor could walk right now into the UFC and be in the Top 5.

When you factor in this was also the time of the hugely overhyped stupid presser where they announced Lorenzo becoming CEO of Zuffa, that gets even worse. There was speculation all over the web that he'd be they guy to step in where dana utterly failed. Instead, there was a two-day buildup to the worst climax of a press release ever.

I don't expect much from dana or the fink. I think they both outlived their usefulness to MMA seven or nine years ago. I do expect a lot from Lorenzo.

I think Fedor beats Cain 2 or 3 out of 10, JDS maybe 3 or 4. I think the other big threats are Werdum, Bigfoot and Browne. I'd put him 50/50 on any of those fights, particularly since he learned a bit from facing Fabricio and Silva already. Other than that, I think he's a still a favorite over any other fighter in the UFC, including Jones and Anderson.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I think the UFC not signing Fedor was one of the best moves they ever made. Not signing Fedor allowed them the money to sign Cain, JDS and Carwin.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

I don't know that Cain, JDS or Carwin made any real money in 2008 or 2009. If you're looking for a silver lining, it's that none of them had to face Fedor when he was still close to peak form before they were ready.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    I think the UFC not signing Fedor was one of the best moves they ever made. Not signing Fedor allowed them the money to sign Cain, JDS and Carwin.
    The 3 of them were already signed before the whole Dana/Fedor stuff happened.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Is Carwin included with Cain and JDS because he was a wrestling champ?

Thread Information