Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Fedor: I never signed with the UFC because Dana White hated me

I'm not naive enough to believe that Fedor's handlers were on the up and up but one thing has always been abundantly clear to me:

DW is that kid in your neighborhood that got an XBox 360 and all the trimmings. Then, no matter what logic it defied, everytime he got the chance he talked shit about how terrible PS3 was and how anyone who felt different was an idiot.

Now, from everything I've read and always heard, Fedor is a real person and a person of principle. He doesn't take some of the attacks lightly and would likely have expected not only compensation but a vested interest in his future to ensure those folks who had disparaged him had less of an impact on his marketing and future.

Look at it like this: Would you want a guy who REPEATEDLY goes on record as saying you suck and are horribly overrated in control of your marketing, legacy, and financial future? I would not.

What sets MMA and fighting apart from other sports is that guys like DW can tread water and run their mouth toward the end of a fighter's career and they will undoubtedly begin losing fights as they diminish. Fedor was no different.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Wait, what? Arlovski was at the top of his game. He left the UFC on his own terms, as a top 3 fighter and is the only guy who dana has gone on record saying he wished he'd been able to re-sign. He was NOTHING like a former shell of himself. Most pro-UFC/Fedor haters had him picked to beat Fedor at the time.
    Arvloski was a shell of himself at the time... He lost 3 of 4 of his fights in this time period by brutal KO in the first round starting with Fedor... He certainly was not the same fighter he use to be. I'm not diminishing Fedor's win as being less then what it was he beat Arvloski who was highly ranked at the time... though that was in Affliction and my points were about the depth of the Strikeforce roster. I wouldn't put Arvloski up against the majority of the UFC Heavyweights (at least the mid to high level guys) at the time and say he walks out with a win.

This was also before AO spent a year ducking Fedor by being to hurt to do anything but fight dented cans in countries that don't test, and before his incessant attempts to pretend he wasn't juicing convinced everyone he was juicing. SF had a much, much better roster than zuffa.
    Again I wouldn't say much better but we can disagree on that one.

Fedor had already beaten Nog, twice, and when Fedor signed with SF, the only ranked fighter Mir had beaten in 5 years was Nog. Mir was no more of a hard ranking than Rogers at that point.
    Yes Fedor beat Nog and my point with both Nog and Mir was not that they were the best but they factored into the overall depth of the UFC HW roster at the time the original poster completely missed them. Mir I would have ranked higher over Rogers but yes somewhat softly in the top 10 though in a direct match up I take Mir over Rogers at the time.

you are 100% right on your first sentence. The second is bullshit, however.
    So you are saying M1 didn't negotiate co promotional deals into his contract with both Affliction,Strikeforce, as well as his fights in Japan ? Casuse all of them did and that goes back 5-6 years at least not sure on Bodog but believe they did as well.
    Last edited by Rise; 10-16-2013 at 08:21 PM.

With all due respect to those involved, strikeforce had far and away the best hw talent at the time the gp was announced.

THANK YOU PASHA K AND RIVETHEAD. People are finally starting to show their support for the greatest fighter who ever walked the earth. +1 to all you good guys.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

What's undeniable to the devil's advocates of Fedor is that PRIDE had a far more stacked HW division than did at the time adjacent to Fedor's dominant reign.

Comparing incarnations of Big Nog and Crocop in the UFC to their prime in PRIDE is beyond nonsensical.

We all know that if Dana and the UFC would have said yes to M1's Co Promotion that they would have signed Fedor to fight in the UFC. You can hate on the UFC, you can back them and hate on Fedor... the bottom line is he was M1's cash cow and unless they got EVERYTHING they wanted they were not going to let him fight for a promotion. Dana is Dana, a loud mouth cocky son of a bitch who can be a jack-ass when he doesnt get his way. Yes he was out of line, yes he said shit he shouldn't have said but it really came down to M1 and there demands.

As far saying its undeniable that Pride had the better HW division....that is only true if you have either been a fan since back when Pride was around, you have how hours and hours to relive history. The fighters today are better, more complete fighters. It's no shock that people think Cain and JDS and guys like that could beat Fedor. But there was no one back in Fedors time like Cain or a JDS. If you do not know your MMA history, then the Pride roster of that time does not look that stacked. Callling people idiots who are new to the sport does not make you better than them, it makes you stuck in the past and trying to be a "hardcore" fan.

I never ONCE seen anyone not flip out when someone says something negative about Fedor and instead say hold on kid, let me give you a history lesson here.

I disagree.

I think it's more proper to refrain from commenting about shit you don't know than expecting others to educate you. The fights are out there and shown for free. Watch them then make an assessment based on fact rather than some sherdog fightfinder bullshit.

About the current stable of heavyweights- I would cherish the opportunity to have seen a prime fedor vs. Cain and a prime crocop vs. JDS. However, that's not happening just like Jordan in his prime vs. Kobe or Lebron. It's all speculation at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I disagree.

I think it's more proper to refrain from commenting about shit you don't know than expecting others to educate you. The fights are out there and shown for free. Watch them then make an assessment based on fact rather than some sherdog fightfinder bullshit.

About the current stable of heavyweights- I would cherish the opportunity to have seen a prime fedor vs. Cain and a prime crocop vs. JDS. However, that's not happening just like Jordan in his prime vs. Kobe or Lebron. It's all speculation at this point.
    So?? Whats the difference between watching a youtube fight or 2 from looking up records on Sherdog? It still doesn't put anything into perspective. Pride has been gone for 6 years now. There are fans out there today, especially as the sport grows who can very easily get things twisted by watching a few youtube videos. Pride was around for 10 years. Do you realize the time it would take for someone to do the proper amount of research without fans who were fans through the peak to help guide them?

MMA as we know it is still new but not that main stream. There are a lot of people out there who just don't know any better no matter how hard they look.

There isn't an MMA channel, or long list of history and archives. Unless you would just prefer they get there history from all of the stuff the UFC post from the Pride archives.

Yes. I would prefer someone actually watch the performances than look at Wikipedia or fightfinder. Read an article. Watch a few dvd's. Download them from torrent sites. Do fucking something other than blindly commenting on stuff you don't know or understand. You could just as easily just ask an old dog a question.

Maybe I'm stubborn, but I have no patience for baseless statements from guys who are too lazy to even educate themselves on the subjects on which they feel obligated to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Yes. I would prefer someone actually watch the performances than look at Wikipedia or fightfinder. Read an article. Watch a few dvd's. Download them from torrent sites.
    That still doesn't solve the issue of context. Someone who only saw CC fight in the UFC will never understand just how laughable hyping Couture/lesnar as "the most important HW matchup in MMA history" was. They don't understand the gravity of seeing Fedor and Mirko when it happened, and an out-of-context youtube repop of the fight isn't going to provide that, unless they can see the subtleties of the differences in the fighters skillsets.

Do fucking something other than blindly commenting on stuff you don't know or understand. You could just as easily just ask an old dog a question.
    That won't happen. That's what the internetz are for, amirite?

Maybe I'm stubborn, but I have no patience for baseless statements from guys who are too lazy to even educate themselves on the subjects on which they feel obligated to comment.
    uninformed opinions count more than uneducated ones, if they're stated loudly and often enough from anonymity.

Sure, Cain is great right now. We'll see how he's fighting in 2016, 2018.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information