Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: Fedor: I never signed with the UFC because Dana White hated me

  1. Default

    I see no one single way is going to educate people of the past, and to watch old fights now at todays standards most look too one dementional. To me watching Fedor fight he wasn't a flashy fighter, so unless your some what educated on grappling,sambo,bjj, or wrestling he didn't look that great, but got his hand raised in the end. Not a boxing expert so take lightly. His striking wasn't great, but he was a heavey hitter, and it was good enough for the times to either get ahold of you or damage you enough to finish them.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,531

    Default

    That's what I'm saying.

    Folks make these broad, sweeping statements about things and don't even attempt to make an effort to understand what was happening.

    That still doesn't solve the issue of context. Someone who only saw CC fight in the UFC will never understand just how laughable hyping Couture/lesnar as "the most important HW matchup in MMA history" was. They don't understand the gravity of seeing Fedor and Mirko when it happened, and an out-of-context youtube repop of the fight isn't going to provide that, unless they can see the subtleties of the differences in the fighters skillsets.
    I had already conceded that fact. I was simply saying I would have at least MORE respect for someone who had tried to watch the fights than someone who made no effort other than to google Fighter A vs. Fighter B.

    In my last attempt to put this in perspective for the lesser-informed: Fedor vs. CroCop at the time was Ali vs. Foreman. What you got in Strikeforce was more akin to Ali vs. Spinks, Holmes and Berbick; all solid if not great fighters in their own right but they were fighting an older, diminished fighter.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,432

    Default









    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?


  4. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    Bullshit.. Fedor chose Strikeforce because THEY had the best HW division and I don't care what anyone says.

    Bigfoot, Overeem, Werdum, Brett Rogers(when he was top 10 at that time), Barnett, Arlovski, Kharitonov, Cormier.. compared to UFC who had.... Brock Lesnar.....Old Randy, a NOT YET evolved or established Cain OR JDS at the time. Carwin, Roy Nelson, Kongo, and who? Not much.

    Point proven..

    Fedor IS, and ALWAYS will be the Greatest Pound 4 Pound Fighter of all Time. You can't deny what he did and who he beat, all of the best in his time.
    The majority of what you stated was true, this is pure opinion that he is the greatest pound for pound fighter of all time and always will be the greatest, as if no one if the future could surpass him. He was the number one in his time, no one can deny that.


    Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    818

    Default

    Babe Ruth, Jim Thorpe, Rocky Marciano, Muhammed Ali, Micky Mantle, Jim Brown, Michael Jordan, Fedor. Best of the Best.

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Yes. I would prefer someone actually watch the performances than look at Wikipedia or fightfinder. Read an article. Watch a few dvd's. Download them from torrent sites. Do fucking something other than blindly commenting on stuff you don't know or understand. You could just as easily just ask an old dog a question.

    Maybe I'm stubborn, but I have no patience for baseless statements from guys who are too lazy to even educate themselves on the subjects on which they feel obligated to comment.
    You are actually helping my point believe it or not. There just isn't that much material out that truly shows the context. Not everyone uses or even knows about torrent sites. With Zuffa owning the history of Pride do you really think you can buy a current dvd or watch the best of Pride and get a true, clear picture of how things really were and not get the Zuffa twist on them?

    This is something I have been saying since Pride first fell. That it would be up to people who were fans when it all went down to set the record straight because the record will be twisted. It would be very easy, as a new fan to watch CC fights in Pride then the UFC and just say well hell maybe Dana was right......We should be the ones setting them straight.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Very far
    Posts
    9,592

    Default

    You can download tons of Pride events. You can watch a lot of Pride stuff in YouTube. You do not have to buy any DVD (edited by Zuffa) or anything.

    People do not want to educated themselves at all. They just hear what Dana White says and they think it is the absolute truth.
    Many people do not realize that Mirko and Nog were absolute fucking monsters in Pride. Those 2 and Fedor, they were absolute machines.
    The Mirko-Fedor fight was even bigger than Cain-JDS (easily the 2 best HWs today). The hype was really insane and the fight was very good. It was not a KO in a minute, and it was not a one sided beating for 20 minutes. Fedor was better but Mirko also had very good moments. It was a really great awesome fight.

    And then you have Zuffa saying stuff like Lesnar-Carwin is the biggest fight in HW history and there are idiots that actually believe that!! LMFAO

    Well, by the way Dana White himself for the first ever admitted that maybe Fedor was the best in the world:

    "Maybe he was (the best in the world)," White acknowledged of Emelianenko. "Maybe he was when he was fighting in Pride. Maybe he was. I don't know, because we never got to make some of the fights we wanted to make.

    "Who knows. Maybe Fedor knocks out Brock, because we saw Brock against guys that hit hard. And that's probably what (Fedor and Finkelstein) look at it now. Like, ‘Goddamn.'"
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff


  8. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    You are actually helping my point believe it or not. There just isn't that much material out that truly shows the context. Not everyone uses or even knows about torrent sites. With Zuffa owning the history of Pride do you really think you can buy a current dvd or watch the best of Pride and get a true, clear picture of how things really were and not get the Zuffa twist on them?

    This is something I have been saying since Pride first fell. That it would be up to people who were fans when it all went down to set the record straight because the record will be twisted. It would be very easy, as a new fan to watch CC fights in Pride then the UFC and just say well hell maybe Dana was right......We should be the ones setting them straight.
    Here you go, doesn't cover each fight individually, but it took like 1 minute to find this, i'm sure there are more like it, and it covers the badassness around fedor.

    Last edited by initial_zen; 10-18-2013 at 02:02 AM.



  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,504

    Default

    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/1...or-emelianenko
    Dana White: Brock Lesnar and I wanted to make the Fedor Emelianenko fight 'so bad'

    Now retired, Emelianenko recently attributed the insurmountable divide between the two sides to his belief that UFC President Dana White ‘personally hated' him. White, however, scoffs at the notion.

    "Me and Lorenzo (Fertitta) were f--king laughing about that," White said on Thursday. "Yeah so I hated him. Who did I hate worse than Tito (Ortiz)? The guy lost f--king 100 fights in a row and retired in the UFC.

    "We made every big fight with every fighter since we bought this company. You don't think we wanted to do Fedor vs. Brock Lesnar? I f--king wanted to make that fight so bad."

    White claims that he and UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta met with Emelianenko's M-1 management multiple times at the height of Lesnar's popularity within the UFC, even flying to a remote island to hammer out a deal. Nonetheless, the two sides failed to come together, largely in part to a series of excessive demands from the Russians, which included M-1 co-promotion among other aspects.

    "Brock wanted that fight. Brock wanted that fight bad," White said.

    "We had to build a f--king stadium in Russia, and we had to do all this stupid s--t, stuff that no normal f--king human being would do. And now they lay in bed every night and regret not doing that deal."

    There's no question that in late-2009, when both men were at the peak of their immense powers -- Lesnar fresh off a mauling of Frank Mir and Emelianenko still riding his incredible 27-fight unbeaten streak -- the match-up would've generated a box office explosion, potentially eclipsing UFC 100 as the most ordered mixed martial arts pay-per-view of all-time.

    "I explained this to Fedor," White said. "‘We're catching a moment in time, right here, right now, where this fight between you and Brock Lesnar will be f--king massive. We're talking Dallas, Texas Stadium. This huge fight between these two big heavyweight guys. We're laying this massive f--king offer on the table.' I said, ‘You're one punch away from being worth f--king zero.'

    "'This is the f--king moment, the time. We all need to seize this moment and make this f--king happen.'"

    To this day, White refuses to reveal exactly how much Zuffa offered Emelianenko. Though he ominously insists that it was, without question, the most UFC lucrative contract of its time.

    "It's not even that I regret it," White said. "Dude, when I tell you that we did everything -- someday I'll tell you the story of how much we offered that f--ker, too. People will f--king s--t. It made no sense. It's one of those type of deals.

    "The NFL does $9 billion in television revenue. Makes no sense for the network. The network doesn't make a dime off the NFL, but you gotta have the NFL, right? The NFL pulls ratings like anything. This was one of those deals where it's like, this makes no f--king sense whatsoever. And literally when we got on the plane, when we were flying back, we were like, ‘Thank f--king God they turned that offer down.'"

    The fight lost its luster soon afterward as both Lesnar and Emelianenko went on to suffer a string of subsequent defeats, ultimately leading to the retirement of both men.

    Now the match-up is one of MMA's biggest ‘what ifs,' and White can't help but look back on one of the most substantial missed opportunities of his tenure as UFC President.

    "Maybe he was (the best in the world)," White acknowledged of Emelianenko. "Maybe he was when he was fighting in Pride. Maybe he was. I don't know, because we never got to make some of the fights we wanted to make.

    "Who knows. Maybe Fedor knocks out Brock, because we saw Brock against guys that hit hard. And that's probably what (Fedor and Finkelstein) look at it now. Like, ‘Goddamn.'"

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,432

    Default

    Fedor would have absolutely destroyed him. Like pistol whipping a blind kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •