Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gilbert Melendez: Nick Diaz would end retirement for 'the right opportunity'

Default Gilbert Melendez: Nick Diaz would end retirement for 'the right opportunity'

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/1...-for-the-right

"I think with the right opportunity, for the right thing, he'll come out," Melendez said. "Whether it's boxing, whether it's kickboxing, whether it's whatever, some sort of challenge would be great."

With 36 career fights under his belt, Diaz has been at the game awhile. And after losing to UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre in the main event of UFC 158, Diaz likely would have had to take a step down in competition next time out. Melendez feels Diaz would rather hold out that allow his name to be used to build someone else.

"I don't think he has the desire to be a stepping stone or he doesn't want to play that role," Melendez said. "Sometimes you have to come back up the ladder in your career and I don't think he wants that. I think he wants to fight top-level competition. He doesn't need to fight just to take it."

In the meantime, Diaz kept himself busy by putting on the WAR MMA show in June in his hometown of Stockton, Calif. According to Melendez, Diaz didn't put on the show to bring publicity to himself, but rather simply to be able to put on a show in his hometown.

"Nick's goal is always to do something good for the sport and his community, believe it or not," Melendez said. "He just wanted to put on a show in his hometown and get his boys some fights. He had some money to do it and it's a write-off for him, but he's under a microscope, and people get wind of it, and they start critiquing it and they start saying the show's going to suck. I feel for the guy, he's under a microscope the whole time. ...

"[Diaz said] 'I didn't want to say it was my show,'" Melendez continued. "'The people behind me wanted to, in order for the show to be successful.' You know, he did the right thing and put his name behind it. He did the right thing. I don't think his goal is to be the next big promoter, I think he just wanted to do something good for the MMA community in his hometown."

Either way, Melendez feels if Diaz wanted to come out of his self-imposed retirement, he could do so at pretty much any moment.

"Nick is forever ready. He's always in shape, he's always sparring, he's always grappling. He does triathlons, he's in better shape than most guys who are relevant now in the game."

Michael Bisping offers to 'happily' introduce him to Middleweight division
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/10/14/4...invitation-ufc
    michael ✔ @bisping

@arielhelwani well if Diaz wants a fight at 185 I would happily welcome him to the division.
    3:04 PM - 14 Oct 2013

Bisping vs. Diaz would be pretty awesome.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post

He said against top level competition - LOL.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

I don't think Diaz deserves top level competition. His best wins have been over Zaromiskis, Daley and Penn, none of whom were solidly ranked as top 10 when he beat them, and Penn is a LW to boot. He hasn't even beaten a softly-ranked fighter in over two years. And I say this as a Diaz fan.

that being said, I'd let him fight Bisping, in that I don't think either fighter deserves a legitimate, hard-ranked top 10 opponent right now.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

5. Default

If the choice is wasting a ranked fighter on him, or keeping Diaz retired, I vote for retired.

I agree with rivethead: since neither is really deserving of a strong top 10, it would be an entertaining fight with little relevance.

I'm honestly wondering if Bisping sees this getting him closure to the title shot he is always crying for?
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

Diaz is a draw -- that's more important than something as silly as rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Diaz is a draw -- that's more important than something as silly as rankings.
    Is he? Is he really?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post

that would be a great fight ... that bisping would win.
    Favorite fighters:
    HW- Mir, Brock, Fedor, Cain
    LHW-Shogun, Tito, Mousasi. Rampage
    MW-Hendo, Sonnen, Mayhem M
    WW-GSP, C Condit>Nick diaz, Fitch wonderboy?
    LW-Penn, Edgar, Cerrone, pettis
    FW-Aldo, Homenik,

Fighters I LOATH 1-BISPING

I'd love to see him kick Bisping's ass.. Diaz can still be a top P4P fighter like he was when he came to the UFC IMO.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Thread Information