Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dos Santos reveals cutting requiring stitches 3 weeks out

Default Dos Santos reveals cutting requiring stitches 3 weeks out

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...s-3-weeks-out/

Training for a world title fight is strenuous on an athlete and often an injury free camp can be the difference between winning and losing in camp. Today Junior Dos Santos revealed that he suffered a cut above his eye brow three weeks ago that required stitches:

Some interesting news is coming out of Houston, Texas -- site of this weekend's (Oct. 19, 2013) UFC 166 pay-per-view (PPV) event -- as John Morgan reveals that Junior Dos Santos suffered a cut over his right eye (see pic here) three weeks ago that required some stitches to close.

It's quite the untimely injury, seeing as how "Cigano" will attempt to take the 265-pound title away from current Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez in three days time.

But, according to the Brazilian bomber, the cut is fully healed and should be a non-issue come fight night. In fact, on "UFC Tonight" this evening, dos Santos -- who had a knee injury in his first bout with Velasquez and an over-training issue in the rematch -- assured mixed martial arts (MMA) fans that he is currently "100 percent."

I know he says it's fine, however, three weeks isn't a lot of time for a complete heal. I'd hate to see a cut above his eye open and in any way impact the outcome of what I'm looking forward to being a great fight.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

The cut is actually very far from being fully healed, there is still a very visible mark. If Cain lands something solid there, it will re open that cut very easily and Dos Santos will be in huge trouble because of all the blood that will affect his vision.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

My thoughts exactly!
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

Blood won't go into his eyes from that cut; unless he's on his back, then it'll pool in his eye socket.

But if that gets opened up, and the fight stays standing, it should just go down the side of his nose.
    Last edited by Leucoethiops; 10-18-2013 at 05:57 PM.

I actually think that Cain will re open it during GnP, so it will go to the eye of JDS

The cut doesn't really feel like too much of an issue to me for one reason. The way I see JDS winning is by TKO early, probably within the first two rounds. After that, I really think it's Cain's fight to lose, since Cain really turns up the pace in the later rounds and JDS will be freshest in those first two, after that I think he'll be slinging some tired arms and a cut, while it may stop the fight, would just end the inevitable conclusion of Cain GNPing his way to a decision.

Only way this becomes a problem is if Cain can't get the TD(which I think he will eventually) and they end up boxing for a good portion of this fight. I don't think Cain will want to stand that long with JDS until after the third, and again, those first three rounds are when JDS is going to be looking for the win. I could be bass ackwards here, but I don't see the fight being close, more going one way dominantly or the other.....

60/40 Cain, maybe even 65....but I'm pulling for Cigano. Cain/Werdum would be cool as fuck to watch though....

I really want Cigano to win but IMO it will look very similar to their second fight. Cain really dominated him from beginning till the end and his strategy worked perfectly, and I do not think that in 10 months Cigano suddenly improved that that much that he will avoid another beating.

Maybe it will be more competitive this time, but Cain is really very very impressive. IMO if Cigano does not KO Cain in the first round, it will be over for him.

Yea I'm with the majority here, that JDS has the first 2 rounds to find the finish, otherwise Cain's incredible cardio will help him win the last 3 should it go that long. But hey, even Cain has a chance to finish this in the first 2. We can't discredit Cain's standup, and assume JDS is some boxing champ. Last I remember, Cain was the one who outboxed JDS, even in the first round when both guys were fresh.

In either case, should be one hell of a fight. Can't wait!

Thread Information