Thread: Nelson: This the 'crappiest camp that I've ever had'

Default Nelson: This the 'crappiest camp that I've ever had'

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...-Ive-ever-had/

Some camps go well, some go bad, and for Roy Nelson heading into UFC 166, it was the latter:

"This has actually probably been the crappiest camp that I've ever had," Nelson admitted on Wednesday. "It is what it is."

The root of Nelson's problems began in mid-September, when his head boxing coach, Jeff Mayweather, suffered a mild heart attack after drinking an energy drink. The 49-year-old wound up hospitalized for weeks.

Doctors subsequently diagnosed Mayweather with "full-blown diabetes," and from there things only got worse.

"I lost Jeff probably about two weeks into camp," Nelson explained.

"I lost (training partner Muhammed ‘King) Mo' Lawal. I lost Ryan Martinez, because in Bellator he broke his hand. It was just one of those camps where anything possibly that could've happened, happened. So you just kind of deal with (it). I mean, I've been in the game long enough to know what I'm supposed to do and put the work in. And at the end of the day, that's what it is."

Something tells me that if this were true he wouldn't have actually come right out and said it. Judging from the pictures I've seen of him, this camp has probably been better than he's letting on.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Skills sessions and game planning are different from nutrition and cardio.

Without a boxing coach and adequate sparring/rolling partners this could be a seriously bad situation for Roy.

Or, he's making an excuse beforehand.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

4. Default

a before hand excuss or baiting his opponet into relaxing some.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Big (Not so big anymore) Country, is not recognized for being that smart, is he? If that is the case, I don't think it's a case of baiting Cormier...

6. Default

It doesnt need to be an excuse, sometimes people just have bad camps. If Roy had a Tito-esque run of excuses on the go, I could see this being a pre-excuse, but I see/read this more as Roy coping with some adversity leading up to fight time, and Im very interested to see how he deals with it come face-punching time.

On a related note, I hope his boxing coach is doing better, thats a rough run.

He could have had the best camp ever and trained with Cael Sanderson, Tyrone Sprong and Rickson Gracie. Isn't going to change the fact Cormier is going to smash him.
    Dude, I’m a wrestler. I’m the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. That’s all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Could you imagine losing Mayweather and King Mo from your camp???

That would be tough.

I don't really remember Nelson being one for excuses but maybe. I also know that his intelligence gets questioned a lot but he does a pretty good job of playing head games and irritating people.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Seems like an honest answer to a question to me. Nelson isn't a train of excuses. Good camp or not, I think Daniel wins it.

Can't point fingers at a guy like Roy who isn't an excuse dispenser.

Who knows, I know people that say things like "Oh I am not really prepared for this, I have not had enough time, and I am not in shape" when actually they are extremely well prepared.

Maybe they say that to play mind games, maybe to avoid pressure so if they win people say "Wooow and he did that having a horrible camp!", and if they lose people will be like "He had a crappy camp, it was obvious that this would happen"
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information