Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ‘Iron’ Mike Tyson Says Bout With Royce Gracie In 1993 Wouldn’t Have Gone His Way

Default ‘Iron’ Mike Tyson Says Bout With Royce Gracie In 1993 Wouldn’t Have Gone His Way

‘Iron’ Mike Tyson Says Bout With Royce Gracie In 1993 Wouldn’t Have Gone His Way

“Well, in ’93, I was in prison, so there would not have been a fight. But there is no way I would have won. I had no idea what was going on with that type of fighting and would’ve been taken by surprise. I would have had to train in that particular art of fighting for that to happen. That’s a particular art. You are not going to go in there with your just your hands, you need to have a great ground game as well. You also need a great wrestling game to be successful. You have to have both skills, wrestling and boxing. That’s the truth.”

Back in 1993 Royce Gracie was dominating Mixed Martial Arts with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and while Mike Tyson was in prison his boxing dominance still resonated with the globe.

Many considered Tyson the most dangerous man in the world.

In a recent appearance on UFC Tonight, the former boxing heavyweight champion said that’s not the case, Royce Gracie would have beaten him.

Tyson would've knocked gracie's block off with the first punch the fight wouldn't make it to the ground.

3. Default

Tyson would of DESTROYED Royce.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Tyson would be in the ground before he even attempted to throw a punch, then he would get submitted in a minute.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Tyson was way too quick and crazy aggresive back then. And now hes way too humble and complimentary.

I think he is just being honest. No boxer back then would have been the mindset of anything but come forward and head hunt the little guy. He wouldn't have bee trying to avoid the takedown or anything like that. He would have had a couple of chances to get in a direct shot, and then the clinch and takedown would have happened with Mike thinking, "wth do I do now". The ref wouldn't have stood anything up (they didn't do that then) or broke the clinch and sooner or later it would be over. No way Royce would have stood with him. Not saying it would have been 100% Gracie, but I would have given him the advantage. It wouldn't have been a confident Tyson going in there and tearing it up.

It's not that he couldn't have quickly developed skills to his advantage, but he just didn't have them.
    Last edited by noahm; 10-19-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    Tyson was way too quick and crazy aggresive back then. And now hes way too humble and complimentary.
    I'll take humility and a complimentary nature over most brash personas who say they would have beaten the shit out of so-and-so if they met in a fight. I know that doesn't sell as well to the masses, though.

Tyson could just power out of any Royce would do, he was in incredible condition back when he competed. I feel like he would have just swarmed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Tyson would be in the ground before he even attempted to throw a punch, then he would get submitted in a minute.
    Element of surprise works in Royce's favor, so yea I agree that he would have found the takedown and worked his way to a submission.

Quote Originally Posted by optimusjoel View Post
    Tyson could just power out of any Royce would do, he was in incredible condition back when he competed. I feel like he would have just swarmed him.
    That's my feeling also a shot from Tyson he would have shit himself but Royce was like velcro so....

Thread Information