Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: UFC 166: Velasquez vs Dos Santos Discussion Thread

When a fighter loses there are always shitheads that are going to say very negative stuff. JDS is an excellent fighter, with great boxing, great TDD, great chin, great heart and will. It is not that he sucks, it is simply that Cain is really that great!.
    At the beginning I was not very impressed with Cain, but since his Rothwell fight I knew that he was really legit.
    He is a fucking tank and I do not see anyone capable of beating him today. In few years yes there will be someone, but right now that someone is busting his ass in the Gym and we do not know who is he.

JDS has received insane punishment in his last 3 fights, but he showed amazing heart and courage.

BTW it is just me or Herb Dean was actually beginning to stop the fight in the 3rd round, but then immediately let it continue after he saw thet JDS was still defending himself?
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

2. Default

Herb physically touched Cain. The fight should of been stopped.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

I thought herb was stopping the fight as well.

As much as I respect what Cain does, his fighting style just doesn't create entertainment for me. Watching someone punish his opponent against the cage for 15-20 mins just isn't very entertaining for me. He just plays it too safe in my eyes as I'm not a fanboy/girl of his and it turns into this slow grind where he slowly leeches every bit of energy out from his opponent's body until they fall on their faces and end match on their own from sheer exhaustion.
    Hard to see anyone defeating him anytime soon though
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

..............And the moral of last night's story is.

Keep your friends close and the guy who's most likely to take your belt.....make him your twin brother/bff/coach/training partner/soul mate (no-homo). Send him after Jon Jones and wish him well.....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Although JDS will be admired for his durable chin, his perseverance to tough it out, show amazing motivation, determination, heart and will to stay in the fight as long as possible, in the end he has nobody to blame but himself for losing that fight.

I think the biggest blunder JDS made leading up to the fight was all his "talking" that he did, i.e. Cain hits like a girl, I wanna box the Klitschko brothers, I am going to KO Cain, I'm the best boxer, etc etc etc. Large part of JDS success was being the nice, respectful, humble fighter. It kept him focus on working on his craft, coming into each fight doing his thing without putting pressure on himself. He went all Chael Sonnen for this fight (although not in the humorous way that Chael is known to do) but he did quite a bit of promotional bs to hype up a fight and himself for this fight.

I watched the fight with my bro (who is BIG JDS fan, and called for a JDS KO in this fight), and after the first minute of the fight, he just shook his head and said JDS is already gassed and just gonna get grind-ed out. And it was quite evident too that he did, and what do you expect when the guy just put all this extra pressure on himself to back up all the talking he did pre-fight. He came out way too aggressive and anxious right from the point when Herb said FIGHT, and seemed like he had an adrenaline dump after one minute and it was the beginning of the end for him. JDS has never come out anxious in a fight. He has always come out calm, trying to get a feel on his opponent, and then begin working on his boxing.

He did much better in this fight, actually bruising up Cain's face this time around, but he was clearly never in the fight. He has been beaten badly for 10 rounds in a row, and kinda distanced himself from Cain as the #2 guy in the division. Very hard to sell a 4th fight, and I dont think winning 2-3 fights should give him a shot. It would be in JDS best interest to start from the bottom of the UFC's Top 15 HW ranking and work his way up, winning at least 4 fights and making sure to fight at least 2 top 5s in the process. He might also wanna put his stubbornness aside and not only rely on his boxing to win his fights. He needs to start working on a clinch game, better his cardio, his wrestling, and MOST DEFINITELY avoid pre-fight trash talking, if he ever wants to be competitive against Cain again.

IMO the "trash talking" had nothing really to do. It was not the first time that JDS made some cocky comments.
    It is just that Cain's game is clearly much better and JDS could not find any answer on what he had to do. He could have been the nice guy but that would not have changed the fight.

He went very agressive this time because in his last fight with Cain, Cain came like a tank from the first second and was attacking the whole time. JDS had no any opportunity to get a feel, he was being treated like a punching bag.
    So I guess JDS came very agressive here having hopes that he lands some KO punch.

And yes, he was already tired after the first minute, and from there, it was all Cain. JDS landed some good punches and he performed better than the last time, but anyway Cain showed once again that he is way too good.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    IMO the "trash talking" had nothing really to do. It was not the first time that JDS made some cocky comments.
    It is just that Cain's game is clearly much better and JDS could not find any answer on what he had to do. He could have been the nice guy but that would not have changed the fight.

He went very agressive this time because in his last fight with Cain, Cain came like a tank from the first second and was attacking the whole time. JDS had no any opportunity to get a feel, he was being treated like a punching bag.
    So I guess JDS came very agressive here having hopes that he lands some KO punch.

And yes, he was already tired after the first minute, and from there, it was all Cain. JDS landed some good punches and he performed better than the last time, but anyway Cain showed once again that he is way too good.
    I agree with your assessment. He needed to implement his own game plan quickly, but he should have been more strategic about it. Winging KO punches may have caught a lesser fighter off guard, but not someone with the quickness of Cain.

I know you're not a fan of the trash talking, neither am I. I just felt doing so, JDS may have put a little more pressure on himself than he needed to prove his doubters wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Herb physically touched Cain. The fight should of been stopped.
    Is that an official rule under the unified rules and regulations for mma?

Thread Information