Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: UFC 166: Velasquez vs Dos Santos Discussion Thread

JDS was definitely making a huge mistake in not circling, he was in a horrible position everytime he was against the fence, and it is not that he was trying hard to get out of that.

Another thing is that he keeps his hands so low. There were moments in where he was trying to dodge punches with only head movement, he dodged some but also he ate plenty of those and he was not trying to counter or anything.
    I understand he was worried about the takedown but damn, he was not covering his face at all. Hands down all the time.
    Sometimes it is kinda surprising how some of the best fighters in the world make such rookie mistakes, I do not know why is that. To keep your hands up is probably the first thing you are told to do when you learn about fighting.

I think his trainer was telling him to keep up his hands all the time in between rounds.

And he seriously wanted to fight a Klitschko??
    I am very huge fan of JDS. After Fedor retired, he became my favorite HW fighter, but it is sad to see such a great fighter to do such things like keeping his hands low.
    There are fighters with awesome head movement and sooner or later they get punched hard (Anderson, BJ Penn etc), Cigano does not have amazing head movement or something. He has to keep his hands up. Otherwise he will continue being a bloody mess after each fight. There are 3 fights in a row where his face is a total mess after the final bell.
    It was painful to watch him yesterday, I think that his face was probably even more fucked up than in the second fight.
    Last edited by Pasha K; 10-20-2013 at 05:10 PM.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I said these things the other day and people got quite sensitive in the klitschko thread.

Also, head movement means giving different looks and moving behind your jab as well as trying to dodge punches. He did none of that and Cain went over the top of that jab at will. Jab, move head, step out, overhand, rinse, repeat.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I said these things the other day and people got quite sensitive in the klitschko thread.

Also, head movement means giving different looks and moving behind your jab as well as trying to dodge punches. He did none of that and Cain went over the top of that jab at will. Jab, move head, step out, overhand, rinse, repeat.
    Yup, you were pointing out a lot of his flaws as I was. JDS has good boxing skills when you compare it to other MMA HW in the UFC, and it's hard for some people to notice those flaws when he's Knocking out everyone, but against other HW boxers, his technique and flaws would just be so easily seen when he's getting his face and body punched in.

That fight should have been stopped in the 3rd. One of the worse non-stoppages I have seen. JDS took nearly two rounds of an unneeded beating that could have taken years off his career.

Also how long until Cain is in the discussion for the number 1 P4P fighter?
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

I think JDS should've taken a page from Goose's playbook and used some footwork. For how much he loves boxing I thought his footwork looked bad again against Cain. I expected to see him adjust from their second fight by sticking, moving, and defending any take downs that got through his jabs. It didn't really look like he had done anything different for preparing for this fight since the 2nd fight. Cain is a monster though. Gonna be tough for someone to beat him. I think someone with good reach, a strong jab, great footwork, and decent wrestling can....that's easy to say, not so easy to do. ha!

I REALLY wish he had moved behind his jab and protected after throwing a punch.

Cain's boxing was simply better and JDS couldn't keep him from pushing him against the cage.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    That fight should have been stopped in the 3rd. One of the worse non-stoppages I have seen. JDS took nearly two rounds of an unneeded beating that could have taken years off his career.

Also how long until Cain is in the discussion for the number 1 P4P fighter?
    Interesting reports coming out which seems to lend credence to JDS taking unnecessary punishment:

http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publ...l#.UmVnANKR8Xs

According to a report from Brazil's Globo, dos Santos was said at the hospital to not know what happened in the fight. Per the report, dos Santos thought he had been stopped in the second round, and didn't remember the post-fight interview with Rogan. Additionally, his team thought he was essentially on auto-pilot early on after taking some of those shots.

Damn that really sucks!
    It may be very dangerous that he does not remember anything from the fight, I hope he does not suffer serious brain damage in the future.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Damn that really sucks!
    It may be very dangerous that he does not remember anything from the fight, I hope he does not suffer serious brain damage in the future.
    You gotta agree with Dana when he said that if his team cared about his health and safety, they should have thrown in the towel. I think when a fighter takes that kinda punishment, and he is in fact on "auto-pilot", a ringside physician needs to evaluate between rounds to see if a fighter can describe what happened in the previous round or even know what round # is next. If his team did think JDS was on "auto-pilot", what good was it to give him instructions when he most likely wasn't comprehending what they were saying.

As a cornerman it's a big gamble to throw in the towel, cause you wanna give him a chance for a comeback, but you dont want him to take any more punishment. Perhaps a neutral cornerman for each fighter, whose only job is to stop the fight if deemed appropriate, without the worry of giving the fighter a chance for a comeback.

Do you think it's possible that they fight for a fourth time? I mean, I know they ain't no spring chickens but they aren't ancient by any means. Could a fourth fight happen a few years from now if Cain remains the champ and JDS runs through everyone else as well?
    You have to know what you don't know.

Thread Information