Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diego Sanchez vs Gilbert Melendez

Default Diego Sanchez vs Gilbert Melendez

I just have to profess my eternal thanks and gratitude to these two great fighters for what they did last night. This fight is fight is the single greatest MMA fight I have ever seen. Hell the greatest fight I have ever seen period. And I have to credit Diego for making it so, he didn't have the skill of Melendez but no one can question his heart and desire to win. Diego is just not a normal human being, many fighters like "Warmachine" claim they are warriors and would "fight to the death" but Diego is the real deal. Seeing him grit his teeth and get grimy had me cheering at the screen! He brought the best out of Melendez and I would love to see the rematch headline a PPV one day. I believe there should be a new Award for fights like this, I'd call it the "Don Frye/Takayama Award". This kind of fight calls out to something so primal in fight fans, hell even non fight fans can appreciate the passion and desire radiating from both men. When the ref raised both of their hands before the decision, that just said it all. Thank you gentlemen for blowing my fucking mind!
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

I just rewatched it again and the first two rounds weren't as good to that final third. They did play into that epic climax of the third round though. If Diego would have got that RNC or Guillotine, damn, that would have been one of the greatest things I had ever seen. Still, they went out and stand and banged until the last horn and it was just as great. Hopefully we do see that fight again some time later. I can see it headlining a Fight Night or an Fox Sports 1 card. Just hopefully it's a 5 rounder this time.

Was a great fight.

I feel that one uppercut took a lot of the reality out of it though.

The realiy that Melendez mauled and battered Diego for 14mins.

A rematch would see Melendez utilize a different strategy i think. Less brawl more tactics maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    Was a great fight.

I feel that one uppercut took a lot of the reality out of it though.

The realiy that Melendez mauled and battered Diego for 14mins.

A rematch would see Melendez utilize a different strategy i think. Less brawl more tactics maybe.
    Agreed think Diego is getting to a little to much credit for this fight... it was a pretty one sided fight other then a couple brief moments.

The most impressive thing Diego did was take a beating.

Diego is most certainly not getting too much credit for that round. Diego almost made an epic comeback. Goddamn cynicism and naysayers.

This steak is delicious but it's not the best piece of meat I've ever had, so it really is just above average.

Anyone else fear Diego is going to suffer from Parkinson's?

His interview was horrible and sounded like his mind and mouth disconnected.

Not the greatest fight as Melendez controlled all but probably 2 minutes pretty handily, but still an awesome fight.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

7. 10-21-2013, 02:50 AM

I don't think it was the greatest fight ever or even close.

It was exactly what I expected it to be; Diego Sanchez getting his ass kicked to a bloody mess.

It was really fun to watch the parts where Diego would do what Diego does when he's losing terribly, which is throw caution to the wind, say fuck it all, and fight blow for blow. Now if he capitalized on that uppercut and won the fight, THEN it would have been one of the god damned greatest comebacks ever... but he didn't. Unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sanchez and admire his warrior spirit. He's insane. You can almost always count on a show from him. The fight was good, but nothing great in terms of anything other than a brutal bloodbath, IMO. I also think Gil gets WAY too much credit for beating the shit out of someone he was absolutely expected to. A second title shot by beating Diego Sanchez is stupid bullshit and I hope he has to fight a few more. I really wish the fight was longer as well, but then again, Diego's cut would have probably extended to the other side of his forehead with 2 more rounds.

Diego is near the top of damage absorbed and I do fear for him later on. As it's been stated several times recently, he is old as fuck in fight years with all the damage he's taken.

If only the UFC had a record of how much of a fighters own blood they've spilled... Diego may be at the top.

I do very much wish there were many more fighters with Diego's heart and grit. I love it. Wish he would have turned it on before the last round though.
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

Fight of the Year.

They showed the spirit of mixed martial arts.

Melendez and Dos Anjos will be the alternates for the next title shot, which would be dependent upon TJ Grant's concussion recovery. Melendez is the more likely choice due to his recent surge in popularity. Business is business.

I don't agree that it displayed the spirit of mixed martial arts. It wasn't even a great display of MMA (no offense). It was a standup dogfight and a spectacular display of all around toughness and very strong will to not give up, as is most of Diego's memorable fights. I understand what you mean though. I very much enjoyed it myself. He comes in mean every time, fights hard, and is one of the very toughest fighters ever. He always makes whoever he is losing to look incredible because he is a force that doesn't stop moving forward to hurt you even if half of his face is about to be torn off. You have to outfight him to the very end or stop him (which no one has actually ever done). Somehow, most likely because Diego is from another planet where they eat broken glass from birth and walk around wilting flowers and killing small animals by staring them down with mean faces, he has never been truly finished in his entire career through all the damage he takes. The fight against Penn was stopped by the doctor or he would have kept going even if he bled to death trying.

He really is a very interesting individual when you think about it and look at his record.

If I asked for Diego's autograph, I'd ask for it in his blood since he spares so much of it anyway.

What are our candidates for FOTY so far anyway? My memory fails me at the moment.

EDIT: I really don't mean to offend anyone with my opinion. I absolutely understand what everyone saw in that fight and I am one of many who LOVES that gritty type of violence and that spirit of battle. However, it's just not what I think of when I define true martial arts or MMA.
    Last edited by m1ckeykn0x; 10-21-2013 at 05:52 AM.
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

That fight was absolutely entertaining. Personally, I think that Shogun - Henderson was better, as was Chandler - Alvarez. The level of heart Diego showed seems to be overshadowing how bad he lost those first two rounds. It would have been incredible had he finished that third round, and it showed that anything can happen in a fight, but he didn't. Melendez stood there with Diego slugging it out and one just about every aspect of that fight.
    You have to know what you don't know.

Thread Information