Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diego Sanchez vs Gilbert Melendez

Default Diego Sanchez vs Gilbert Melendez

I just have to profess my eternal thanks and gratitude to these two great fighters for what they did last night. This fight is fight is the single greatest MMA fight I have ever seen. Hell the greatest fight I have ever seen period. And I have to credit Diego for making it so, he didn't have the skill of Melendez but no one can question his heart and desire to win. Diego is just not a normal human being, many fighters like "Warmachine" claim they are warriors and would "fight to the death" but Diego is the real deal. Seeing him grit his teeth and get grimy had me cheering at the screen! He brought the best out of Melendez and I would love to see the rematch headline a PPV one day. I believe there should be a new Award for fights like this, I'd call it the "Don Frye/Takayama Award". This kind of fight calls out to something so primal in fight fans, hell even non fight fans can appreciate the passion and desire radiating from both men. When the ref raised both of their hands before the decision, that just said it all. Thank you gentlemen for blowing my fucking mind!
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

I just rewatched it again and the first two rounds weren't as good to that final third. They did play into that epic climax of the third round though. If Diego would have got that RNC or Guillotine, damn, that would have been one of the greatest things I had ever seen. Still, they went out and stand and banged until the last horn and it was just as great. Hopefully we do see that fight again some time later. I can see it headlining a Fight Night or an Fox Sports 1 card. Just hopefully it's a 5 rounder this time.

Was a great fight.

I feel that one uppercut took a lot of the reality out of it though.

The realiy that Melendez mauled and battered Diego for 14mins.

A rematch would see Melendez utilize a different strategy i think. Less brawl more tactics maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    Was a great fight.

I feel that one uppercut took a lot of the reality out of it though.

The realiy that Melendez mauled and battered Diego for 14mins.

A rematch would see Melendez utilize a different strategy i think. Less brawl more tactics maybe.
    Agreed think Diego is getting to a little to much credit for this fight... it was a pretty one sided fight other then a couple brief moments.

The most impressive thing Diego did was take a beating.

Diego is most certainly not getting too much credit for that round. Diego almost made an epic comeback. Goddamn cynicism and naysayers.

This steak is delicious but it's not the best piece of meat I've ever had, so it really is just above average.

Anyone else fear Diego is going to suffer from Parkinson's?

His interview was horrible and sounded like his mind and mouth disconnected.

Not the greatest fight as Melendez controlled all but probably 2 minutes pretty handily, but still an awesome fight.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

7. 10-21-2013, 03:50 AM

Fight of the Year.

They showed the spirit of mixed martial arts.

Melendez and Dos Anjos will be the alternates for the next title shot, which would be dependent upon TJ Grant's concussion recovery. Melendez is the more likely choice due to his recent surge in popularity. Business is business.

That fight was absolutely entertaining. Personally, I think that Shogun - Henderson was better, as was Chandler - Alvarez. The level of heart Diego showed seems to be overshadowing how bad he lost those first two rounds. It would have been incredible had he finished that third round, and it showed that anything can happen in a fight, but he didn't. Melendez stood there with Diego slugging it out and one just about every aspect of that fight.
    You have to know what you don't know.

Yea it was a fun fight to watch. Yea, Diego showed a ton of heart and grit.

I hate to be the party pooper, but does anybody else think Sanchez looked like shit? And has for a while? I mean, whens the last time he had a good fight? Paulo Thiago? 3 years ago? He really needs to fine tune his game or he's going to wind up in a wheel chair by the time he's 40.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

I've never understood how people could hate on Diego Sanchez. All he does is put on entertaining fights and scrappy wars. Maybe he isn't an elite talent, but he's exactly what you need on an exciting card. If more people fought like him and Diaz we wouldn't have so many snoozer cards. Speaking of which, how about Diego vs Nate Diaz next?

Thread Information