+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Cormier explains the reason he refused to call out LHW Champion Jon Jones

Default Daniel Cormier explains the reason he refused to call out LHW Champion Jon Jones

Daniel Cormier explains the reason he refused to call out Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/10/20/4...l-out-mma-news

Cormier refused to directly call out Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones, though he was incredibly respectful about it. Here's the explanation he gave on the Fox Sports 2 post-fight show:

"I'm always shooting for the top -- you don't shoot for No. 2 or No. 3. I want to fight Jon Jones, I want to fight for the championship. There is no reason for me to call out anyone else. If there is someone else, I'll fight him -- put me in an important fight that's going to get me a championship fight. I'm 34 years old now and I'll be 35 in the New Year. This desk is starting to look pretty good. [I didn't call him out] because it seems that him and Glover Teixeira are fighting. I'm not going to disrespect Glover, but I'd definitely jump at the opportunity to fight the champ."

That makes sense ... kind of. But, it also makes it sound like Cormier is fishing for a showdown against another top contender in waiting who is also on the lookout for a big name opponent who can push him into a title fight against Jones.

Cough, Alexander Gustafsson, cough.

Either way, Cormier is prepared to do whatever it takes to get to where he needs to go:

"I went through a lot of things in my life. I'm about to get serious for a second. I've been through a lot of things. I lost a three-month old daughter, I lost my father, he got murdered when I was seven years old. Anything you put in front of me, I will get through it. My ultimate goal is to be UFC champion. I know what's inside of me, I know what I'm willing to go through to accomplish my goals.... I can get through just about everything [for my family]. Just give me an opportunity."

I still don't think he should get a title shot at LHW before a fight there. Winning or losing streak I just don't like it. Anyway I'd watch that fight happily if he won a couple at LHW and knows he can cut down without major problems.
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

Quote Originally Posted by cnlclink View Post
    I still don't think he should get a title shot at LHW before a fight there. Winning or losing streak I just don't like it. Anyway I'd watch that fight happily if he won a couple at LHW and knows he can cut down without major problems.
    You think he would need a couple wins at LHW before he should get a shot? His impressive run at HW should allow him to jump the line at LHW to the top contender or a fight away from being the top contender. Plus his much publicized beef with Jones would sell the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    You think he would need a couple wins at LHW before he should get a shot? His impressive run at HW should allow him to jump the line at LHW to the top contender or a fight away from being the top contender. Plus his much publicized beef with Jones would sell the fight.
    I disagree. Fights at a different weight class should hold no weight in another weightclass unless its a Champion v. Champion fight.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

I like DC but would like to see him at least have 1 fight at lhw. A fight with goose would be great but that might kill a big money rematch.

How about mr wonderful or lil nog. I don't believe they have fights.

I do think you should take some consideration into wha they did at a higher weight class. Especially if they were undefeated and fought top competition. Like DC or not but he looke slimmed down against Roy.

I like the idea of him fighting Phil Davis for his first LHW fight...book it!

Jon Jones Makes Fat Joke About Daniel Cormier on Twitter, DC Responds
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...er-dc-responds

Jon Bones Jones ✔ @JonnyBones

I'm in Dagestan right now with a small army as my security team.. Borderline nervous, it's a whole different world over here
    12:33 PM - 27 Oct 2013
    Jon Bones Jones ✔ @JonnyBones

With that being said I love these people. their hospitality is first class nothing but hugs and smiles eating so much Ill look like DC soon
    12:37 PM - 27 Oct 2013
    Daniel Cormier ✔ @dc_mma

@JonnyBones it's much easier to talk when you know theres two fights seperating us. Keep running ur mouth kid! Jon u can't beat me!
    Daniel Cormier ✔ @dc_mma

@RealJTDosanjh he started. Sneak attacking on Twitter. Didn't even mention me. He uses my initials. So weak
    1:48 PM - 27 Oct 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Nothing like starting some drama over Twitter.

Ben Askren @Benaskren

@JonnyBones I told you 3 years ago @dc_mma would beat you up and take your belt. Now I am counting the days.
    7:30 PM - 27 Oct 2013
    Ben Askren @Benaskren

@JonnyBones don't worry you will be humbled soon enough. @dc_mma @ufc
    11:13 PM - 27 Oct 2013
    Ben Askren @Benaskren

@JonnyBones running from me on twitter kind of like you have been running from a fight with @dc_mma
    12:11 AM - 28 Oct 2013
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 10-28-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Can we get Askren a new hobby that doesn't include trolling Twitter and calling out various UFC champs everytime he gets bored?
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information