Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dana White: Gilbert Melendez's UFC 166 performance a 'huge step back for T.J. Grant.'

Default Dana White: Gilbert Melendez's UFC 166 performance a 'huge step back for T.J. Grant.'

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/10/2...ant-title-shot

The promotion doesn't know when Grant will return to the Octagon, and after Saturday's UFC 166 card, UFC president Dana White said that when Grant does come back he might not be fighting for the title:

T.J. Grant's in one of those unfortunate situations where he's had a title shot, and he had to pull out twice, so he might have to come back and fight another fight, we have to keep this thing rolling. It's (Melendez's win) a huge step back for T.J. Grant

One of the main reasons behind White's comments was the bout between Gilbert Melendez and Diego Sanchez that took place on Saturday. The three round battle will be under strong consideration for 2013's Fight of the Year, and it solidified Melendez's ranking as one of the top fighters in the division.

If Thomson upsets Pettis in December, expect the UFC to book Thomson versus Melendez. The two fought three times in Strikeforce, with Melendez winning two of those three. If Pettis scores the win over Thomson, don't be surprised to see the UFC book Pettis versus Melendez.

Amazing that guys like Grant, Khabib, Dos Anjos can put up streaks of 5+ and not be considered for title shots when all Gil had to do was beat a past his prime, outside of the top 10 LW in Sanchez and jumps straight to the front of the line.

Gil just had his title shot and lost, albeit it was a close decision that coulda gone his way, he still lost. I say give him any of the names mentioned above for a contender spot.

Default Gilbert Melendez: Diego Sanchez Brought Out the Best in Me at UFC 166

Gilbert Melendez: Diego Sanchez Brought Out the Best in Me at UFC 166
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Gil...-UFC-166-58015

“[Sanchez] is a warrior. People back down from him. I was backpedaling a little bit, but I was holding my ground. It was a real honor to get in there and tangle with him,” Melendez told Fox Sports after his win. “I feel like he brought the best out in me, and I brought the best out in him. I don’t think anyone wants to fight us in a small cage. We’re warriors who fight. People who beat us tend to try to not fight us.”

Melendez took control of the contest in the first frame and methodically punished Sanchez with right hands throughout the first 10 minutes of the bout, only to see his bloodied opponent storm back midway through the final round.

“I knew he was a guy who I was going to hit with everything I [had], and he still might not go down. Trust me, I was crossing my fingers and hoping he’d go down. I hit him hard. Even when he was cut, I was hoping the doctor would stop it. I can’t lie. I’m human,” said Melendez. “I did my homework, and I knew no one had ever finished this guy. It’s a tough task. He’s a madman.”

Sanchez charged forward with reckless abandon and landed a solid uppercut that put Melendez on his back. The Jackson-Winkeljohn product could not find the finish, however, and the men ended the contest by winging blows at one another to cap off a strong contender for “Round of the Year.”

“He hit me. I blacked out,” Melendez said of the knockdown. “It was a blink. I woke up, and I was in a wrestling match.”

Despite the massive physical toll the bout must have taken on the lightweights, both men remain open to meeting again in the future.

“I think at some point, for the fans, we might need to [rematch],” said Melendez. “I don’t think there is anyone tougher than [Sanchez] in this division. There might be guys out there who can beat us on the scorecard, but there ain’t no one who has the balls and guts out there that we do. Doing this together, nothing is ever going to match that.”

Man, if Thomson somehow wins against Pettis, I could definitely see them hotshotting Gil/Punk IV. I'm thinking if TJ's healthy and Pettis wins, they should still do that as the next fight, since TJ's destruction of Gray was the most emphatic of any of the top LW challenger's performances. Now that Healy's out of the picture, it's basically TJ, RDA, Gil and Bendo, which offers up a shitload of really promising matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    Amazing that guys like Grant, Khabib, Dos Anjos can put up streaks of 5+ and not be considered for title shots when all Gil had to do was beat a past his prime, outside of the top 10 LW in Sanchez and jumps straight to the front of the line.

Gil just had his title shot and lost, albeit it was a close decision that coulda gone his way, he still lost. I say give him any of the names mentioned above for a contender spot.
    That's all he did??

Wow. I thought he was the guy who should already have the belt and then he went out and put on the best show of the year.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    That's all he did??

Wow. I thought he was the guy who should already have the belt and then he went out and put on the best show of the year.
    Had Gil gotten the decision and won the belt, he def wouldnt be facing Sanchez next. While it was a great fight, and kudos to him for putting on a great performance, but I think there are other guys who should be given a chance. I dont really like the idea of getting a shot again after just one fight.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post

Grant was considered for title shots and was even offered a shot twice. Grant got injured and was unable to fight both times.

As for Khabib, he is definitely on his way to a title shot but he did miss weight earlier this year so I think he needs to get that in check before being considered for a LW title shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Grant was considered for title shots and was even offered a shot twice. Grant got injured and was unable to fight both times.

As for Khabib, he is definitely on his way to a title shot but he did miss weight earlier this year so I think he needs to get that in check before being considered for a LW title shot.
    Yea I know Grant was given a shot twice and had to forfeit his spot due to his injuries. I'm just saying Gil should face him for a #1 contender bout or anyone else that is right near the thick of things, instead of just having one fight and getting a shot.

There are 4 potential contenders right now for that title.

I would like to see Melendez vs Khabib next
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    There are 4 potential contenders right now for that title.

I would like to see Melendez vs Khabib next
    this. ufc can do Melendez vs khabib for the number one contender spot on the same card as the winner of pettis/ Thompson vs. grant next year.

Thread Information