Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dana White: Gilbert Melendez's UFC 166 performance a 'huge step back for T.J. Grant.'

Khabib's striking has given me pause in having him pushed directly to a number one contender's bout, I don't feel as though he's developed to that level yet.

I'd book Gil/Grant if TJ has been cleared of those concussion problems for the new year and book RDA vs. Bendo or Khabib as a second rung of contenders bout. I think RDA or Khabib may actually end up drawing Gray next if Nate is setting on going to his reunion lol, and for me, I think Myles Jury may be sneaking up in rankings in a fight or two, so he may get a nice matchup next as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post

I think RDA or Khabib may actually end up drawing Gray next if Nate is setting on going to his reunion lol, and for me,
    Nate was just fucking around with the reunion thing trying to get the fight set for a different card. Nick just said in the interview posted he has been busy helping his brother with his camp for Gray.

Oh really, thanks for the update, I was wondering why the fight was still booked lol.

Replace Josh Thomson with Gilbert!!! Haha.

5. Default

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/1...ot-upon-return

T.J. Grant's road to a UFC lightweight title shot might have just gotten a bit longer.

UFC President Dana White said the Canadian lightweight, who's recovering from a concussion he suffered while training to fight now-former champ Benson Henderson, could be forced to take another fight before getting his golden opportunity.

"T.J. Grant's in one of those unfortunate situations where he had the title shot and he had to pull out twice," White said following this past Saturday's UFC 166 in Houston. "He's in limbo. He might come back and have to fight another fight. We've got to keep this thing rolling."
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

6. 10-21-2013, 06:05 PM

Gilbert Melendez 'campaigning' for title shot following UFC 166 victory
    http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/1...fc-166-victory
    "I'm campaigning hard for it," Melendez told MMAjunkie.com Radio of earning another lightweight title shot. "That was the goal, was to make a statement. I wanted to win the fight, wanted to take care of business, but the goal was to look good, and I'm definitely going to campaign for it."

The former Strikeforce lightweight champion can campaign all he wants, but as of now the UFC's 155-pound belt is tied up as reigning champion Anthony Pettis (17-2 MMA, 4-1 UFC) is scheduled to face top contender Josh Thomson (20-5 MMA, 3-1 UFC) at UFC on FOX 9 in December.

While Melendez would ideally like to challenge the winner of that bout sometime in early 2014, he is also taking into consideration that an injury-prone Thomson could withdraw from the fight at any time.

Melendez has already thought about that potential scenario, and while he's somewhat non-committal about jumping into another fight, the 31-year-old would likely be willing to step in on short notice if it meant getting another chance to become world champion.

"It went through my head right away," Melendez said of potentially fighting for a title on short notice. "Right away after the fight you start thinking about the future. Josh is a guy who has been prone to injury, so I'm like, 'Man, would I step up?'

"It definitely crossed my mind and I haven't made that decision yet. Right now I'm feeling good, I'm feeling proud, I'm on a high right now and I think I can do it. If I need to do it I would do it, but I need a little more time to make that decision."

As of now, Melendez is still reeling from the overwhelming fall-out of his incredible matchup with Sanchez (24-6 MMA, 13-6 UFC) in Houston, a performance that earned him an additional $60,000 "Fight of the Night" bonus.

Melendez essentially dominated the entire affair, save for a third-round knockdown by "The Dream."

The fight was one of the most frenetic 15-minute battles the sport has ever seen, and while Sanchez said afterward two more rounds would have allowed him to overtake the action, Melendez disagrees and feels a 25-minute fight would have opened the door for him to score a knockout or submission.

"I've done five rounds plenty of times," Melendez said. "I think I was gaining momentum. He came at me really hard and gave me all he had in that third round and I feel like if it went four, five rounds I would have eventually chopped him down and finished him.

"Five rounds? With pleasure. I would have done it and I maybe would have finished him in five rounds. No problem. I ain't scared."

Whether or not Melendez will get the chance to face the winner of Pettis vs. Thomson is unknown at this time, but even if it comes down to facing another top contender before the belt, that's fine with too.

At the end of the day, Melendez believes his UFC 166 performance proved he is the best lightweight in the world, and regardless of if it takes one, two or five fights to get the gold around his waist, that opinion and self-confidence won't waiver.

"I know I can out-tough anyone in this division. I went against the craziest madman in the lightweight division and I out-toughed him," Melendez said. "I can beat anyone in my weight class and I feel like I'm the uncrowned champ and the No. 1 lightweight in the world."

As epic a fight Melendez/Sanchez was, the reality is that Sanchez is not a top-10 fighter. All that to say that I don't feel Melendez's win over him did anything for Gilbert's title shot hopes. So his win over Sanchez should have zero effect on where Grant stands in the title shot picture.

If a fighter is to move closer to title contention, he needs to keep beating fighters who are ranked ahead of him. That was not the case with Melendez/Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    As epic a fight Melendez/Sanchez was, the reality is that Sanchez is not a top-10 fighter. All that to say that I don't feel Melendez's win over him did anything for Gilbert's title shot hopes. So his win over Sanchez should have zero effect on where Grant stands in the title shot picture.

If a fighter is to move closer to title contention, he needs to keep beating fighters who are ranked ahead of him. That was not the case with Melendez/Sanchez.
    I think a #1 contender fight with Melendez and Grant sounds about right, don't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I think a #1 contender fight with Melendez and Grant sounds about right, don't you?
    Agreed.

Grant would be better off with a warm up fight anyways, probably have some ring rust so fighting a 7 or 8th ranked guy might be a better first fight back than going for the #1 guy.

Thread Information