Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Retired' Diaz tells Fighters Only "I don't mind taking big-name fights"

Default 'Retired' Diaz tells Fighters Only "I don't mind taking big-name fights"

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/conte...g-name-fightsq

“Its kind of hard to retire from MMA, there’s always something to do. I am always going to be around it, like my brother is in training camp right now because he has a fight coming up so I am training with him,” he told us.

“I don’t mind taking fights if its a big fight that people are going to make a big deal out of. If not then its not really worth it to me.

“I’m not trying to do too much right now. I don’t know if I like the way the sport is turning into something different from when I got started. And I think its a good time for me to take it slow as well.”

Having fought from the age of 18 , sometimes as often as six times a year, Diaz is one fighter who has definitely earned a rest.

The Stockton, California native was in the game well before MMA was cool and he has watched with curiosity as the sport’s commercial side has grown.

Initially a fighter for personal reasons, Diaz has become increasingly fascinated by the commercial side, as he details in an extended interview for the upcoming print edition of Fighters Only Magazine.

Asked by Fighters Only if there was any truth to rumors he was fishing for a middleweight fight with Michael Bisping, Diaz said “I don’t have anyone specific in mind.”

I'm thinking he's holding out to see if Anderson loses to Weidman in December and is gunning for a major payday by shittalking his way into a superfight with Anderson, who at that point would be somewhat removed from the title picture with a loss and loves himself some vanity fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I'm thinking he's holding out to see if Anderson loses to Weidman in December and is gunning for a major payday by shittalking his way into a superfight with Anderson, who at that point would be somewhat removed from the title picture with a loss and loves himself some vanity fights.

Do you think Andy sticks around and continues to fight if he loses to Weidman?

And if Andy loses to Weidman, I think Chris will have a tough year of title defenses with Vitor, Lyoto (after he destroys Munoz) and Souza.

I'd hazard a guess and say that if he were to lose to Weidman, he'd want to get at least one back in the win column before hanging them up and for the money that is all over a Nick Diaz fight(regardless of level of challenge to Silva), he'd take a long, hard look at the potential matchup.

That's why I don't see Diaz talking up a Bisping superfight right now, because his people are waiting to see what may unfold. Heck, he may even want a Vitor super fight if Anderson wins, since we'd be looking at a Anderson/Weidman trilogy and the possibility that Anderson doesn't want to fight Vitor again.

I'm thinking Nick is sitting back and being very cautious and choosy regarding who he fights next, specifically avoiding guys who'll immediately take him down and control him....

... Lombard is looking for a fight on the Australia card. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Not sure if Lombard counts as a "big name", especially since it would be short notice, at WW and without much hype. If he's coming back, it'll be when there's a meaningless money bout to be booked. I don't think Lombard checks those boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    ... Lombard is looking for a fight on the Australia card. Just sayin.
    Diaz complains about having to travel to Canada for a fight... Do you really think he would be willing to take a fight in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Diaz complains about having to travel to Canada for a fight... Do you really think he would be willing to take a fight in Australia?
    Well....it wasn't like they'd booked Nick to fight in BC when it came to Canada, I think that'd have been like dangling one helluva carrot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Not sure if Lombard counts as a "big name", especially since it would be short notice, at WW and without much hype. If he's coming back, it'll be when there's a meaningless money bout to be booked. I don't think Lombard checks those boxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Ha you both make very good points. I still think it'd be a pretty sick fight. You're right though Cat, his team wouldn't even know when to tell him to go to bed haha.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I don't see how Diaz has earned or deserves a big name fight. He is not a draw, he has lost to the best WW's in the UFC, anyone coming up would just be a wrestler, so you need a big name striker that Diaz thinks he can beat...nope,no one comes to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Thread Information