Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dana White claims the UFC roster is too full. Is a purge coming?

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    Wait, sooo how does cutting Okami have anything to do with Dodson needing to fight?
    Isnt the reason why Dodson can't get another fight soon because the other 6 flyweights in the UFC are booked? You need to cut a top 5 MW for the sake of bringing in a 125lber so Dodson can fight? What about someone like Melvin Guillard, Mac Danzig, Chris Leben, or any other fighters who never cracked the top 10 in their division and had less than stellar UFC record.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post

Dana White says that he is not an idiot, then he says that he cut Okami so Dodson can continue to fight. What makes him that?
    Keeping guys on the roster means that they need to have a spot for them to fight... when you are only running so many events a year only so many fight slots are available. If someone say like Okami is fighting then that means there is one less available fight on the card. Doesn't matter what weight class you are in there has to be room for you on a card in order to fight.

(Not that I'm saying Okami should have or shouldn't have been cut)

When you own your own organization you get to run it how you want. And yes, it is ultimately about what's going to make them money. Okami, while an excellent fighter is not a top draw like the others someone mentioned, regardless of their records.

after this weekend i see pague and larsen getting cut

Consolidate some divisions. You need a lot more fighters to fill more divisions. 125 is not needed. 135 could go too if you ask me. Drop featherwight down to 140 which would push some 145ers up and some down. I think most fans would rather see a good middleweight like Okami on a card than a couple of little gnats chasing each other in a circle for 15 minutes.

I disagree, I find Dodson and Mighty Mouse to be very entertaining. And Dodson's fight on this card was great too. And Renan Barao has been very entertaining, can't wait to see him vs Cruz. I would much rather see that than some of these big guys (not saying okami) that gas over and over again, then the fight becomes boring.

I think you could make the case that both 125 and the Women's division need deeper rosters to elevate the level of competition so it isn't just the same 3 players and a bunch of unknowns on the prelims. I think there are alot of TUF fighters who sign with the company after the show who are pretty much dead weight, I think they could trim alot of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I think you could make the case that both 125 and the Women's division need deeper rosters to elevate the level of competition so it isn't just the same 3 players and a bunch of unknowns on the prelims. I think there are alot of TUF fighters who sign with the company after the show who are pretty much dead weight, I think they could trim alot of those guys.
    I highly agree. In the beginning of TUF, quite a few fighters were great talent. Nowadays, it's maybe at most 3 fighters who have any potential.

According to Dana, "some guys, when they lose, are at a point in their career", kinda implies that he doesn't see Okami going anywhere in the UFC MW division. How about guys like Frank Mir? He's been brutalized in his last few fights, and is clearly never going to compete for a title again. He makes some of the highest in the company. I believe he is at a point in his career that he needs to be forced to retire.

I like the 125, 135, and 145 divisions. Fun and exciting fights. I love seeing the level of skill that a Demetrius Johnson brings. Dodson brings it as well. These guys need to feed their families. As long as the card isn't all 125 pounders then I see no problem.

I would rather have a 130lbs division and something like a "142.5" lbs division instead of the 3 divisions. This would give enough room between the 155 and the one below it

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    I like the 125, 135, and 145 divisions. Fun and exciting fights. I love seeing the level of skill that a Demetrius Johnson brings. Dodson brings it as well. These guys need to feed their families. As long as the card isn't all 125 pounders then I see no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    I would rather have a 130lbs division and something like a "142.5" lbs division instead of the 3 divisions. This would give enough room between the 155 and the one below it

Sounds fair to me.

Thread Information