Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JDS doesn't remember most of UFC 166 fight, thought he got finished in 2nd round

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    The refs and ring side docs job is to not worry about public opinion. Their job is to make sure the fighter can keep fighting. And it was clear to everyone besides those people that he should have never came out for the 4th round. Just because a guy can see two fingers six inches infront of his face doesn't mean he is still able to fight. JDS was rocked and getting spiked on his head like that in the 5th round might have shortened his career.

I personally as a fan would much rather see a fight stopped early and have a guy remember what round the fight was finished, than watch a guy take an unneeded brutal beating for 10 minutes and forget what day of the week it is.
    I agree with you, just pointing out that in hindsight the refs are always going to get to critcism. It made me think of Fedor vs Giant Silva and Fedor vs Henderson. After the Silva fight, Fedor's camp leaned on the whole "we don't know what would have happened in that last round" and in the Henderson fight Fedor some viewed it as Fedor could have recovered vs he would have gotten knocked out cold after the ending blow. If this never came to our knowledge about JDS not remembering after round 2 would we be talking as much about the potential 3rd round stoppage?

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    That face!!! Jesus it looks like he expects another punch any second. Like the attending physician just revealed himself to be, in actuality, Cain Velasquez... And there more punches incoming.

Our concerns for Cigano's future health are only present because he doesn't remember after 2 rounds... but how many mentioned his "warrior spirit" while taking all that punishment in round 4 and 5?
    We can't have it both ways, it's really sad that JDS' future health is at risk for what happened on Saturday, but as a professional, it was his and his corner's choice to go out there after round 3...
    Has anybody mentioned Big Country's future health?

I worry about Roy's health and the punishment he has taken but he isn't showing too many ill effects.

Diego, however, didn't sound like his brain was doing so well following his fight with Melendez. I fear he has taken way too many shots in his career.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

lots of these guys get hit a go on auto pilot hell i've done it it a bunch in street fights where every one else has to tell u what happend
    cause i got hit and every thing goes black but u still some how find a way to keep fighting

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I worry about Roy's health and the punishment he has taken but he isn't showing too many ill effects.

Diego, however, didn't sound like his brain was doing so well following his fight with Melendez. I fear he has taken way too many shots in his career.
    Honestly, I believe it was just adrenaline that made his interview sound like that. Before Rogan stuck the mic to his face, he was playing to the crowd hyping them up. I didn't get to catch the post fight conference, but I'd worry more if he spoke like that there.

from my understanding the ringside doctor does ask a fighter questions in between rounds if there is a question on whether or not the fighter can go on - things like date, where they are fighting, who they are fighting, their date of birth. The only thing is i know pro fighters who make sure they work on answering questions like that in preparation for a fight so a doctor or ref doesnt stop the fight. Ask any fighter, they would rather die in the cage then let the doctor stop it.

Could it have been stopped - sure it could have, but JDS was still landing BIG shots on cain even if he was fighting on auto pilot and anyone of those could have turned the lights out on Cain and for that reason im cool with the fight going the distance. Nothing a 6 month medical suspension cant fix or doctor clearance.

If that is the case, he held in there and did remarkably well on auto-pilot. Hopefully he takes this away and changes things up a bit. It's great when you knock fighters out to lean towards one style of fighting, I was hoping to see that he had learned and grown from their second fight. After watching JDS vs Cain III I was honestly a little surprised.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

Well, Cigano's face looked even worse after the first fight. But that eyebrow is absolutely destroyed.
    But I think he would look worse actually.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I think there is a difference between being on auto-pilot (lights are on but no one is home) and not remembering. My guess is he just does not remember what happened but that doesnt mean that at the time he wasn't aware of what was going on. His corner talks to him, the doctors talk to him, and the ref talks to him. If he answered them then there is no reason to believe that he was running on auto.

Thread Information