Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Jones Jr: I am taking tune up fight for Anderson Silva

Default Roy Jones Jr: I am taking tune up fight for Anderson Silva

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...nderson-Silva/

Now Jones, in UFC-s-anderson-silva" target="_blank">an interview with boxingnewsonline.com's John Dennen, says he wants a tune up fight with cruiserweight Bobby Gunn as a warm-up for "The Spider."

"If he beats Weidman, then we’ll do a boxing match, which is what he wants to do," said Jones. "The Gunn fight would give me a tune-up so I’m ready for the fight in case he beats Weidman. So if he beats Weidman, I’ve got to be ready for it because he’s going to be coming for me and I want to be ready when he comes for me. I want to give him what he wants."

"He said that's his lifelong dream. We've got to make that happen. He's a great striker and a great defender."

Jones is on a two-fight win streak, but is in the twilight of his career, winning just seven of his last 13 fights. Three of the losses were by knockout.

*I thought Jones had a contract to fight Rampage?

i'm thinking not a move the ufc is willing to make.

Roy Jones Jr. fighting in Moscow to be ready for Silva
    Now ESPN is reporting that Jones, has not fought since June 2012, wants a tune up fight in Russia as a warm-up for "The Spider."

Many have called for Jones to retire. He is years past his prime and has suffered four brutal knockout losses in his past seven defeats, but he has ignored those calls. Instead, his main goal is secure a victory against the obscure and untested 36-year-old Eddine Benmakhlouf (17-3-1, 8 KOs), while shaking off the rust of his long layoff in order to be ready for the fight he hopes will be made next -- a showdown with UFC star Anderson Silva in a boxing match in the first half of 2014.

"I want to be ready for Anderson Silva in case he beats Weidman," said Jones. "Silva has made it clear that if he wins, he wants me next. I'm here for him. That's a fight that intrigues a lot of people, but I can't fight Anderson Silva coming off such a long layoff. So I needed to get a fight first. If it wasn't for Anderson Silva calling me out, I wouldn't be fighting this fight."

i sure forgot about him, thought he retired... or died.

i think anderson is hoping to win and go into boxing and face off eventually with mayweather

but that is just his dream and will likely get destroyed by rjj
    Last edited by sergers; 12-04-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Thats the most amazing thing I've ever seen
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I hate that most people never saw the marvel that was RJJ in his prime.

He was the greatest boxer I've ever seen until he screwed around and tried to bulk up then cut back down.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post

He was the greatest boxer I've ever seen until he screwed around and tried to bulk up then cut back down.
    without a doubt.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

8. Default

Never really thought about it but man, Anderson really patterned his fighting style after Roy Jones Jr. which then can be argued was patterned after others but there are a lot of similarities.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Yup...I'm only 23, but from all of the youtube matches I've watched of Roy Jones and the ones I've seen on TV...I always thought he was the most talented fighter I'd ever seen...it's not like I can say this with too much conviction because there are people out there who have followed boxing alot more than I have. Jones had incredible speed and very good power, though...and he could hit you hard to the body or the head and was extremely hard to hit. His chin didn't really seem to matter in the fights where he was at his best, because it's not like his opponent was going to be hitting him flush very much at all, anyways. He totally schooled Toney in what was a huge fight for both guys early in their career.
    Last edited by dbader08; 12-04-2013 at 05:01 PM.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Yeah he was one of a kind. When he was knocked out by Tarver, I was so shocked but probably was more in shock when Johnson knocked him out cold. He was just never the same fighter after he came down from HW/CW.

Thread Information