+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Jones Jr: I am taking tune up fight for Anderson Silva

Quote Originally Posted by sergers View Post

i sure forgot about him, thought he retired... or died.

i think anderson is hoping to win and go into boxing and face off eventually with mayweather

but that is just his dream and will likely get destroyed by rjj
    Mayweather is a lightweight by mma standards, more importantly, if you "forgot" about who roy jones jr is, you either need to get off what you are on or you don't know shit about boxing. Roy is the anderson silva of boxing. Their styles are identical.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

I always heard Roy's movement and shoulder roll left him open to an overhand because his hands were so low all the time but his speed kept him out of trouble for years. Guess the move up in weight just slowed him down enough to make it a reality.
    Last edited by SimpleJack; 12-05-2013 at 02:04 AM.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by sergers View Post
    i sure forgot about him, thought he retired... or died.

Wrong youtube video.

Silva weighs 70 lbs more than Mayweather. So ignant.

Montell Griffin/Jones II was my favorite of Jones' KO... second would have to be his rooster KO. RJJ is and will always be my favorite boxer, bar none.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 12-05-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I always heard Roy's movement and shoulder roll left him open to an overhand because his hands were so low all the time but his speed kept him out of trouble for years. Guess the move up in weight just slowed him down enough to make it a reality.
    That and his focus became split from boxing to parenthood and rap. Boredom was also a factor which led to complacency, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Never really thought about it but man, Anderson really patterned his fighting style after Roy Jones Jr. which then can be argued was patterned after others but there are a lot of similarities.
    Most certainly Anderson did. Something I always knew because I was always a huge Anderson nuthugger.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 12-05-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Default White: Silva motivated for Weidman, but UFC will ‘talk about’ Roy Jones Jr. fight

White: Silva motivated for Weidman, but UFC will ‘talk about’ Roy Jones Jr. fight

UFC President Dana White tends to believe Silva when he says it was a technique goof more than acting like a goof against Weidman, ducking and dodging and mugging.

“I’ve talked to him at length about it, and he’s got this thing where his foot was in the wrong position, and had his foot been in a different position that would have never happened,” White recently told “FOX Sports Live” on FOX Sports 1. “I mean, how do you question Anderson Silva? The guy’s a master. He loses one fight, the critics dive in and start ripping him apart, like they know what the hell they’re talking about. Look what the guy has accomplished in his career. Maybe it was one little foot movement. We’ll find out Dec. 28.”

But White also acknowledges that in some ways, Silva might have been able to avoid the upset loss – or at least avoid many of the critics – had he not been “messing around.”

So which version of the Brazilian is going to be in Las Vegas? The one who smashed every UFC titleholder record, or the one who found himself waking up wondering when the lights went out?

White believes it’ll be the former.

“That’s the big question of this fight,” White said. “Everybody’s asking which Anderson Silva is going to show up. Is he going to mess around like he did last time? What’s he going to do? Who knows. I can tell you this: I think he’s going to show up and be focused, and be as sharp as he’s ever been and try to win this fight. That’s what I think he’s going to do.”

And if that happens, maybe the UFC boss will be willing to consider a crossover fight that Silva and professional boxer Roy Jones Jr. have been talking about for years.

Jones, 44, has 64 pro fights. But the one both he and Silva have been pining after is a boxing match against each other. And Jones recently told Boxing News he believes that fight will happen if Silva beats Weidman to recapture the UFC’s middleweight title.

“He said that’s his lifelong dream,” Jones said. “We’ve got to make that happen. If (Silva) beats Weidman, then we’ll do a boxing match, which is what he wants to do. … If he beats Weidman, I’ve got to be ready for it because he’s going to be coming for me – and I want to be ready when he comes for me. I want to give him what he wants.”

So how serious of a possibility is that? White has been answering questions about such a fight’s plausibility for years, but now it seems like it’s something he might consider – especially since Jones is planning to be cageside a week after he fights Zine Eddine Benmakhlouf for the WBU cruiserweight title in Russia.

“These two drive me crazy. They drive me crazy,” White said. “First of all, Roy Jones Jr. is a longtime friend of mine. When I was a 19-year-old kid in the boxing business, Roy Jones was very good to me. So I’m in this position where I feel like Roy wants to fight him, he wants to fight Roy – I feel like I’m in this position to try to make both of these guys happy. But it drives me crazy.

“I would love Roy Jones Jr. to focus on his next opponent and Anderson to focus on his. We’ll talk about all this stuff. I know Roy’s coming to the fight – we’ll see what happens.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I don't care how uneven it will be. I want to see this fight happen.

There have been worse spectacles in MMA than RJJ entering the Octagon with Anderson Silva. A gentleman's agreement to boxing in the cage with 4 oz gloves would be nothing short of epic.

WTF is all this 'greatest fighter ive ever seen bullshit?

Unless you are all a bunch of un-boxing educated fools ( which i know many of you arent).

I can rattle of 20 names of the top of my head that were better boxers than RJJ.

Youtube highlights are not good points of reference.

I thought we had some fightt fans in here!?

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post

Unless you are all a bunch of un-boxing educated fools ( which i know many of you arent).

I can rattle of 20 names of the top of my head that were better boxers than RJJ.

I'd put Jones in the top five best boxers ever and I never liked him! lol

Clearly you did not SEE him in his prime or you value different skills than I do.

His defense was impeccable. His counters were lightning-fast. His lead hook was insane. His body attacks were incredible. Even more, he beat great fighters and made them look amateurish. Tuned up Hopkins, toney, Virgil hill,

From 94-01 he was the greatest I have seen. Not tyson, Lewis, jcc, mayweather, de la Hoya, or Leonard.

Later, he faded and lost to good but not great pros. But during that time he was the best.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

She fuckin nanigans. Name 20 boxers then RJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information