Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Roy Jones Jr: I am taking tune up fight for Anderson Silva

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    WTF is all this 'greatest fighter ive ever seen bullshit?

    Unless you are all a bunch of un-boxing educated fools ( which i know many of you arent).

    I can rattle of 20 names of the top of my head that were better boxers than RJJ.

    Youtube highlights are not good points of reference.

    I thought we had some fightt fans in here!?
    Pretty sure you just made yourself look like an uneducated boxing and fight fan. I dare you to name just 10 cuz I know you can't name 20

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ont. Canada
    Posts
    2,243

    Default

    And they got the nerve to say I aint fight nobody, I just make'em look like nobody

    WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    Pretty sure you just made yourself look like an uneducated boxing and fight fan. I dare you to name just 10 cuz I know you can't name 20
    I personally have Roy Jones in my top 10. He's in my top 3 for most entertaining.

    It's hard to debate this, as there were so many eras in boxing to compare. He or anyone else for that matter, including experts, can just name some of the best boxers and just claim they were better than RJJ and it's difficult to debate it. Quick names that comes to my head are Ali, both Sugar Rays, Floyd, Pacquiao, Tyson, Dempsey, Marciano, Duran, Joe Louis, Hagler, Moore, Hearns, Jack Johnson, Armstrong, Foreman, Frazier, Chavez. That's 18 right there that some would argue is better than RJJ and I know I'm forgetting some of the old school guys for sure.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,185

    Default

    But how many of those did these folks actually SEE. 5?
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    262

    Default

    I hear what some of you are saying and agree that RJJ was a great fighter. But to say hes the best ive ever seen is a gross over statement.

    Ray Robinson
    Ali
    J Johnson
    J Lewis
    Dempsy
    La Motta
    Frasier
    Ray Lenard
    Pacquio
    F Mayweather
    Archie Moore
    Marciano
    Joe Gans
    Henry Armstrong
    Cesar chavez

    I am a HUGE boxing fan and proud of it.

    Each and everyone of These names could be argued for.

    I have about another 10 names before i get to Jones.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,185

    Default

    You didn't personally see them in their prime. You watched recordings and hand-picked highlights.

    Read my initial post.

    And btw, Frazier, lamotta, Marciano, Louis, and Dempsey May have been more historically significant but nowhere near the boxer.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    You didn't personally see them in their prime. You watched recordings and hand-picked highlights.

    Read my initial post.

    And btw, Frazier, lamotta, Marciano, Louis, and Dempsey May have been more historically significant but nowhere near the boxer.
    I agree with this. We didn't watch a lot of these guys fight. Instead we watched highlights or at best, some of their best matches. Just like you mentioned, SimpleJack, a lot of these guys are historically significant but when you truly watch their fights, their boxing wasn't near RJJ or some other guys that are generally ranked lower than them (e.g., Mayweather).

    The problem is that it's too easy to make a case for 'x' fighter to be better than 'y' fighter who were both top boxers in their respective era.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    262

    Default

    What difference does it make if i saw them at the time of their fighting? We all watched them on a screen either way.

    How many RJJ fights have you been to?

    Thats just stupid semantics.
    The posts said 'best fighter i've ever seen'. EVER SEEN. EVER.

    RJJ was voted best fighter of the decade in the 90's. Thats an amazing thing, but the problem is the 90's is not EVER.

    To back up what i've said all you have to do is search greatest fighters in history. Hell even the ESPN top 50 fighters had RJJ at 46.

    more...
    Holyfeild
    L lewis
    L holmes

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    I remember watching RJJ vs Toney, I was soo stoked that Toney was going to smash him .....

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    What difference does it make if i saw them at the time of their fighting? We all watched them on a screen either way.

    How many RJJ fights have you been to?

    Thats just stupid semantics.
    The posts said 'best fighter i've ever seen'. EVER SEEN. EVER.

    RJJ was voted best fighter of the decade in the 90's. Thats an amazing thing, but the problem is the 90's is not EVER.

    To back up what i've said all you have to do is search greatest fighters in history. Hell even the ESPN top 50 fighters had RJJ at 46.

    more...
    Holyfeild
    L lewis
    L holmes
    I've been to one and watched all the fights from 94-01 live.

    You do realize you essentially contradicted your own point here as well:
    Youtube highlights are not good points of reference.
    Seeing as most of what you have seen of guys like lamotta, Ray Robinson, jack Johnson, Dempsey, etc are just that, I believe I will just leave it at that.

    Again, RJJ in his prime is the best boxer I've seen. EVER.

    I say this as a 30+ year boxing fan who has watched these guys not only in film but in context.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •