Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Roy Jones Jr: I am taking tune up fight for Anderson Silva

Correction.

I don't watch highlights I grew up watching these fighters on tape and 8mm film with my grandfather who was a boxing trainer and fighter and trained the middle weight nz, australasian and oceanic champion and ran his own boxing association.
    Dont assume we all watch HL and wax poetic like so many othrrs. I know some shit.

Don't take my word for it, all you have to do is search lists made by boxing 'experts' and see where RJJ sits in history.

Not against RJJ just dont agree that he is anywhere near the best that have played the game.

Ps. I'm always open for an informed debate and im enjoying this one.

Jones was one of the best athletically gifted fighters. His skill set was a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    Correction.

I don't watch highlights I grew up watching these fighters on tape and 8mm film with my grandfather who was a boxing trainer and fighter and trained the middle weight nz, australasian and oceanic champion and ran his own boxing association.
    Dont assume we all watch HL and wax poetic like so many othrrs. I know some shit.

Don't take my word for it, all you have to do is search lists made by boxing 'experts' and see where RJJ sits in history.

Not against RJJ just dont agree that he is anywhere near the best that have played the game.

Ps. I'm always open for an informed debate and im enjoying this one.
    I'm glad you're entertained lol.

I will not argue his historical significance or his overall rank in the annals of history. What I'm telling you is that, during a specific period of time, he was the greatest I have seen and simply could not be hit flush. Occasionally, you see an athlete who is so dialed into his game that he or she is simply looking at the rest of the top folks as if they are in slow motion. RJJ did that for a very long time.

I'd argue that you have not seen most of the fighters' fights you listed as most were not even recorded at all. Ray Robinson, Marciano, and lamotta come directly to mind but I do appreciate your appreciation for the sport.

As far as his skillset, it was perfect for his body and athleticism. He wasn't technically sound from a traditional standpoint but he destroyed guys who were.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Well Ray Robinson was my favourite but iv'e only seen him fight maybe 14 times and he had over 200 fights, so yeah.

What RJJs did in the ring was amazing and his athleticism was rediculous.

I'll just leave it there.

Lamotta..... the guy who walked through punches.... getting hammered is not defense. Better than Roy Jones? No.

Yeah, the rapist.

21 punches dodged in 10 seconds.

It's pretty cool to watch the AS/FG gif and Ali at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Anderson Silva: Dana White is the George W. Bush of MMA
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/12/2...-w-bush-of-mma
    "I think that Dana could let me tryout in taekwondo for the 2016 Olympic Games and let me fight Roy," Silva told Roda Viva in Brazil, "but if he let me do that, he would need to let other fighters do their things, so he would lose control."

"[Dana White] is a big dad, but we have our fights all the time," he continued. "He’s the Bush of MMA."

White said he's considering the idea of letting Anderson Silva fight Roy Jones Jr. if he beats Chris Weidman at UFC 168.

"These two drive me crazy," White said of Silva and Jones Jr. on FOX Sports Live. "So I’m in this position where I feel like Roy wants to fight him, he wants to fight Roy – I feel like I’m in this position to try to make both of these guys happy. But it drives me crazy. I would love Roy Jones Jr. to focus on his next opponent and Anderson to focus on his. We’ll talk about all this stuff. I know Roy’s coming to the fight."

Of course, next up for Silva is a Saturday night to rematch against new middleweight champion Chris Weidman.

"My biggest goal as a fighter is (fight Roy Jones Jr. in boxing)," Silva maintains. "I watched him compete for many years and it’s a personal dream to fight against him. He said he also wants to fight me, and it would be a great experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Anderson Silva: Dana White is the George W. Bush of MMA
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/12/2...-w-bush-of-mma
    I do not understand the analogy at all to be honest.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Thread Information