+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Roy Jones Jr: I am taking tune up fight for Anderson Silva

Anderson Silva targets fight with Roy Jones Jr. before returning to the UFC
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/1/22...e-returning-to
    "When I get better, that’s my biggest goal, especially because I won’t be able to fight MMA too soon," Silva said when asked if he still wants to fight Jones. "Fighting in boxing is in my plans, yes, as soon as I’m able to fight again. And Roy is a big idol."

Silva’s family would prefer to see him quit fighting after the pair of losses to Weidman inside the Octagon, but that’s not an option for the Brazilian.

"I respect and understand their concern, but that’s something that has to come from my heart," he said. "That’s not in my plans. I’m focused in my recovery, but I want to get back as soon as possible. That’s who I am, it’s part of my history.

"I’m 100 percent positive that I will be back, but it’s not only up to me. They are helping my recovery and it is super positive thus far. But I need their feedback to be back at 100 percent. I don’t see myself doing other thing, at least for now. It’s not just fighting, it’s also training."

"The Spider" says he’s "not worried about" a rematch with Weidman right now, and his plans for the future include becoming a Hollywood actor.

"I want to be good again to get back to my normal activities, my personal projects," he said. "One of (my projects) is to become an actor, and other news that are coming in the future. It’s in my plans (to work in Hollywood). I’m working for that."

In fact, Hollywood movies are helping Silva in his recovery. Forced out of the gym for a while and working on his rehab, the UFC star has been watching a lot of movies lately, and one of them is keeping him motivated to overcome the hard times.

"I’ve seen a lot of movies recently," he said. "One of the most inspiring right now is ‘Men of Honor’, with Robert De Niro and Cuba Gooding, Jr. I watch it almost every day."

Dana White's latest on proposed Anderson Silva vs. Roy Jones Jr. boxing match
    “This stuff drives me crazy,” White said (skip to the 6:15 mark of the above video). “But it’s always interesting with Anderson. I don’t know. We’ll see.”

Silva, 38, has suggested an MMA retirement is unlikely, though a potential return could to the cage could be months (if not a year) away. Still, the Brazilian has said he’d be open to a boxing match with Jones as his comeback fight. White, though, suggested such conversations should wait.

“Anderson a long way away from throwing a punch or a kick or anything, so let’s see how he recovers before we start talking about fights,” he said.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information