Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'The Count' wants Lyoto Machida vs Mark Munoz winner in early 2014 UFC return

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Something tells me that it was the athletic commission and not the ref making the decision. I'm quite certain that if the illegal blow ends the fight in Nevada for example the deciding factor between a DQ and a NC is the intent. As far as I know there has never been a UFC fight in Nevada go to a technical decision. New Jersey on the other hand seems that if the illegal blow finishes the fight past the second round it goes to a technical decision for some strange reason. I'm with you though. If a fighter throws and illegal blow and it finishes the fight, that fighter should not be awarded a victory no matter how the fight had gone up to that point.
    While I agree with you I want to play devil's advocate a little bit. Why should the fighter who has won say 2 rounds already lose the fight because of an inadvertent blow that happens to be illegal. That fighter has already put in the work to win 2 rounds and made what is most likely a mistake and now they must lose?

So I agree, said fighter that throws the illegal blow that finishes the fight should at minimum wind up with a no contest. Tough call though based on some of these finishes where the fighter that has been finished has moved their head or put a hand on mat etc.
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

Quote Originally Posted by cnlclink View Post
    While I agree with you I want to play devil's advocate a little bit. Why should the fighter who has won say 2 rounds already lose the fight because of an inadvertent blow that happens to be illegal. That fighter has already put in the work to win 2 rounds and made what is most likely a mistake and now they must lose?

So I agree, said fighter that throws the illegal blow that finishes the fight should at minimum wind up with a no contest. Tough call though based on some of these finishes where the fighter that has been finished has moved their head or put a hand on mat etc.
    Because if the fight is finished by an illegal blow, let's say an eye poke for example, the victim of said eye poke has now been robbed of the ability to finish the fight with a legal KO or submission. History has shown us that a fight isn't over until the final horn sounds (Paul Daley cheap shot withstanding) We'll never know if Belcher would have knocked out Bisping or not because he was finished with an illegal blow and it's not fair that he now has that loss on his record.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by cnlclink View Post
    If you were to set precedent that a fight ending illegal blow was to go to a decision, even thought the fight was not finished.... Would that not encourage fighters who have clearly won the first or first and second rounds but are starting to gas to start to thrown illegal blows in hopes they end the fight early and secure the victory? Instead of gas out in the 3rd (or championship rounds) and chance being finished.

It seems to me, in no way should an illegal blow be rewarded. Intentional or not, a fighters health and safety is on the line and all illegal blows should be considered just that, an illegal blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    If you were to set precedent that a fight ending illegal blow was to go to a decision, even thought the fight was not finished.... Would that not encourage fighters who have clearly won the first or first and second rounds but are starting to gas to start to thrown illegal blows in hopes they end the fight early and secure the victory? Instead of gas out in the 3rd (or championship rounds) and chance being finished.

It seems to me, in no way should an illegal blow be rewarded. Intentional or not, a fighters health and safety is on the line and all illegal blows should be considered just that, an illegal blow.
    Crap, can't send you rep but I would. Well put, I enjoy playing devil's advocate when I can because generally it garners excellent points. Fe1 same goes to you but you got rep!
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

Technical decision wins are awarded to a fighter who has won the fight on the scorecards (due to the fight ending in the third round), yet the outcome would otherwise be a NC were it the accidental foul to occur in the first or second rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    That being said the fighters throwing the illegal blows risk them not finishing the fight and their opponent continuing the fight and they lose a point in the process and end up with a draw instead of a win.

7. Default

I see technical wins when a fight is called for cut/s or so not a illegal blow unless it went to total legal fighter. So I have no problem with Melvin getting a no contest since his strike was atleast questionable
    Last edited by lwbrewer; 10-27-2013 at 10:16 AM.

The thing about Bisping's return bout IMO, is that he'll be 35 and coming back from a nearly yearlong layoff with the eye problems and alot of wear and tear on his body, I'm not too sure if it would be wise to dive right back after the injury layoff into deep waters against a Machida, Vitor or Jacare.

I think it may be wise for Bisping to take the original Munoz matchup.

Michael Bisping Out Six Months, No Matter What He Believes Says Dana White
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/michael-bis...ays-dana-white

Thread Information