Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stipe Miocic calls out Gabriel Gonzaga following 'Napao's' UFC 166 win over Shawn Jor

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Yes, thats why I ask. Roy was on a tear before losing to Stipe, where as GG just lost to Browne in his last fight.
    Gonzaga lost a controversial TKO to Browne, in which most people outside of the commission thought were illegal blows. He came back and KO Dave Herman, followed by another KO against Shawn Jordan. He's already 4-1 since his return to the UFC out of retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    Gonzaga lost a controversial TKO to Browne, in which most people outside of the commission thought were illegal blows. He came back and KO Dave Herman, followed by another KO against Shawn Jordan. He's already 4-1 since his return to the UFC out of retirement.
    I forgot about the herman fight. Still think Nelson was ranked higher tho, no?

I think gonzoga could pull this off, and then maybe a fight against Nelson or one of the winners of the other fights mentioned. I think a lot of fans are sleeping on gabe thinking he's a gatekeeper. But he's evolved his game and he's now a threat on the ground and standing. If I remember correctly he did have Cain hurt when they fought too....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    I forgot about the herman fight. Still think Nelson was ranked higher tho, no?
    Definitely. GG is ranked higher than anyone available though.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...t-makes-sense/
    Gonzaga camp: Miocic fight 'makes sense'

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...t-makes-sense/
    Gonzaga camp: Miocic fight 'makes sense'
    For GG it definitely makes sense ranking wise but not vice versa. Either way I like the fight and I'm a fan of both. Just hate to see either guy lose

Stipe is a helluva athlete, is very talented and has loads of potential which is constantly developing....but Gonzaga's sustainable enough striking coupled with arguably the second or third best BJJ at HW and veteran caginess is a dangerous combination for a relatively young fighter.

I'm not saying Gonzaga has been "reborn" by any stretch since his return to the UFC, because his talent was always there he just got so complacent and lax and content to stand, but an APPLIED Gabriel Gonzaga, who already has some solid striking, is aware that he's got power but it isn't his bread and butter and aware of his BJJ strengths, is a major threat to almost anybody at HW IMO.

Gonzaga is the epitome of the sleeper HW. If I were Miocic's camp, I'd have asked for Schaub to build back up and capitalize on the Nelson win. I know that's a step down, but Gonzaga can play spoiler gatekeeper to so many....

1 Junior Dos Santos
    2 Daniel Cormier
    3 Fabricio Werdum
    4 Antonio Silva
    5 Travis Browne
    6 Josh Barnett

7 Alistair Overeem
    8 Frank Mir

9 Stipe Miocic
    10 Roy Nelson

Cormier is dropping to LHW. Who knows how long JDS is out for. The people in bold are booked. He just beat Nelson. The next marquee HW fight is Mir/Reem 3 weeks from now. He could wait for the outcome of that fight but it might not give him a fight. If Reem wins they will probably setup Reem/JDs. They have wanted that for a while. Mir could retire if he loses. Plus who know what kind of injuries they will suffer. The next marquee HW isn't until December 6th, Hunt/Bigfoot. It could be until March/April before one of them is ready. He could be looking at 9 month lay off. Stipe hasn't fought since June. GG is healthy, in shape and not far behind him in the rankings. GG is just out of the top 10, where as Stipe is just inside of it. This match up makes the most sense for Stipe. He could face GG on either the Silva rematch card or the Fox card in January. Both would be great exposure for him.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Thread Information