+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Set For March 8 UFC Event In London

Default Alexander Gustafsson vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Set For March 8 UFC Event In London

Alexander Gustafsson vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Set For March 8 UFC Event In London

Alexander Gustafsson (15-2) will have a chance to bring himself one step closer to a UFC light heavyweight title shot once again when he faces division standout Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (21-5) this March.

During a post-fight press conference for Saturday's UFC Fight Night 30 event in Manchester, England, UFC President Dana White announced that the pair will square off on March 8 at a UFC event in London. White also confirmed that a victory over Nogueira will earn Gustafsson a light heavyweight title shot against the winner of Jon Jones and Glover Teixeira next year.

Gustafsson faced Jones for the UFC light heavyweight title last month in a bloody back-and-forth battle that could likely score the pair a "Fight of the Year" award. Though extremely close through five rounds, it was Jones who walked away with the unanimous decision nod in the end, retaining his UFC light heavyweight championship a record-setting sixth time.

Jones' next title defense will come against dangerous challenger Teixeira in early 2014.

The defeat snapped a six-fight win streak for Gustafsson, which included victories over Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, Thiago Silva and Vladimir Matyushenko.

Nogueira, meanwhile, will return to action for the first time since last February after being sidelined with a series of back injuries; an issue which forced him from a rematch against 'Shogun' Rua at UFC 161 last June. Upon his return, the 37-year-old will be in search of his third-straight win after besting both Tito Ortiz and Rashad Evans in his last pair of outings.

Lil Nog is gonna get lit up!
    Favorite fighters:
    HW- Mir, Brock, Fedor, Cain
    LHW-Shogun, Tito, Mousasi. Rampage
    MW-Hendo, Sonnen, Mayhem M
    WW-GSP, C Condit>Nick diaz, Fitch wonderboy?
    LW-Penn, Edgar, Cerrone, pettis
    FW-Aldo, Homenik,

Fighters I LOATH 1-BISPING

oh my god Lil Nog is gonna die... and This is kind of a step down for Gustafsson isnt it?

Poor Nog will never get a shot now lol.

6. Default

Lil Nog is gonna get DESTROYED
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Call me crazy but I like this fight for Nog. It's a big step up and he doesn't have to face a wrestler. For once he doesn't have to worry about being taken down. His boxing is really good too. Gus has a speed, reach and kicking advantage but I think Nog can make it interesting.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    Call me crazy but I like this fight for Nog. It's a big step up and he doesn't have to face a wrestler. For once he doesn't have to worry about being taken down. His boxing is really good too. Gus has a speed, reach and kicking advantage but I think Nog can make it interesting.
    Good points but Gus actually utilized some wrestling against jones so I wouldn't be so sure. Nog also didn't look very good his last fight, hopefully that was just an off night

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    uhh you do realize Gustafsson wrestled Bones right? and actually didnt do too bad??

You are right I shouldn't say there is no worry. It is a much smaller factor than his last 4 or 5 in the UFC. Gus was trying to take down a fighter who had never been on his back in the UFC before. Nog is high level black belt. I doubt he is going to want to play in Nog's guard unless the stand up is going really badly. If Gus takes Nog down he won't have that strong wrestler base that the fighter Nog has been facing recently has. Nog's sweeps and sub attempt should more dangerous against Gus.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information