Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melvin Guillard vs. Ross Pearson Rematch Added to UFC's March 8 Event in London

Default Melvin Guillard vs. Ross Pearson Rematch Added to UFC's March 8 Event in London

Melvin Guillard vs. Ross Pearson Rematch Added to UFC's March 8 Event in London

Melvin Guillard and Ross Pearson said they'd be happy to book a rematch after their disappointing UFC Fight Night 30 no contest, and UFC officials wasted no time in getting it done.

Guillard and Pearson will square off on March 8 at London's O2 Arena at an event that will also feature Alexander Gustafsson (15-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (21-5 MMA, 4-2 UFC). Broadcast plans haven't been announced.

UFC exec Garry Cook revealed the plans during Saturday's post-UFC Fight Night 30 press conference at Phones 4u Arena in Manchester, England. Further details remain scarce about the UFC European Tour, but according to officials, it'll include events in major European cities beginning in 2014.

Guillard (31-12-2 MMA, 12-8 UFC) and Pearson (15-6 MMA, 7-3 UFC) met in the co-main event of Saturday's UFC Fight Night 30 event, and fireworks were expected between the two sluggers. However, just as the two settled into their groove, Pearson fired a flying knee that Guillard blocked, and the two hit the deck in a scramble. As Pearson worked up to his feet, Guillard blasted him with a pair of knees that opened a gash on Pearson's forehead.

Referee Marc Goddard ruled the second blow illegal, though replays were inconclusive at best. Pearson's hand appeared to touch the canvas somewhere between the first and second blow, earning him the protection bestowed up a "downed opponent," but it was a razor-thin call. The gaping cut on Pearson's forehead was enough for doctors to stop the contest, and with the fight still in the opening round and the foul deemed unintentional, the bout was ruled a no contest.

Now, however, they'll get to do it again.

The first one looks like it may be illegal and the second one looks pretty illegal to me. Then again, the gif cuts off where his hand actually was in relation to the mat. I think it was close enough that the referee made the right call. It sucks that it ended that way, but at least we get to see them scrap it out again to settle it.

I think the rule with hand on ground has been changed and implemented by discretion of ref.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Personally I call that legal.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Goddard did a great job imo. He got the call on the 2nd knee right which was really only visible on slo-mo replay. Great job to pick it up in real time. Plus he realized it happened so quick it couldn't be deliberate and gave a NC rather than a DQ. I was really looking forward to this fight and it sux big time the way it ended but the ref got it right

The rule has been changed, it is 100% up to the ref to make the call, if he feels the fighter is playing a game and trying to bait an illegal knee then he can rule the knee legal. The first knee was legal, the second I believe was Ross trying to protect himself by using that rule, which is why the rule was changed in the first place. So it was 100% up to the ref,and he chose to rule it illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

To me it looked like Pearson was putting the hand down to in order to brace/push himself up which would make the knee illegal if we were going by the ref's discretion rule.

Either way it's a stupid time to be throwing a knee on Guillard's part he should have held off on it.

Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    The rule has been changed, it is 100% up to the ref to make the call, if he feels the fighter is playing a game and trying to bait an illegal knee then he can rule the knee legal. The first knee was legal, the second I believe was Ross trying to protect himself by using that rule, which is why the rule was changed in the first place. So it was 100% up to the ref,and he chose to rule it illegal.
    i didn't realise the rule had been changed. i agree with you it seems Ross deliberately put his hand down. Still, its a very touch and go call especially in the moment as a referee

Always hated that rule.

Thread Information