Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machida would fight Silva for title

Default Machida would fight Silva for title

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...lva-for-title/

A natural middleweight, Lyoto Machida has competed in the UFC's light heavyweight division to avoid fighting good friend and training partner Anderson Silva. With Silva having lost his title, Machida has moved to the middleweight division to chase a title, and now would fight Silva should he regain the title in December:

Here's what he told Gareth Davies on the post-fight show:

"I don't know, it's very hard to say, but I for sure want to be champion. I want the belt, but I don't know. I'll just (leave it) in Dana White's hands. ... Even if he asks me to fight at 205 pounds, I can do that."

What a sickeningly safe and standard reply, right?

There is good news, though.

Indeed, when Davies pressed and asked if that meant fighting the winner of Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman at UFC 168 on Dec. 28 later this year, after a brief moment of hesitation Machida replied in the affirmative:

"Yes. If it's for the belt, I said I want the belt. I have to chase the belt."

Doesn't really matter unless Silva is willing to do it. Silva's camp will continue to dictate his opponents if he wins.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. Thatís right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

If Silva beats Weidman, you would think it would be hard for his camp to say, we are not fighting Lyoto, Vitor or Jacare.

Would love to see Lyoto vrs Silva. Will be Silva's fourth or maybe fifth real opponent in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Would love to see Lyoto vrs Silva. Will be Silva's fourth or maybe fifth real opponent in his career.
    Thank you for that.

Machida vs Anderson would be siiiick. I'm really liking Lyoto at MW and want him to fight again ASAP against another Top in the division

http://www.ufc.com/rankings

Machida now ranked 5th at MW.

Bisping ranked 4th, yet he lost to the tenth ranked guy less than a year ago...

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Name them please.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. Thatís right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    Name them please.
    Saying he only fought 5 real opponents is a joke. Sure he gets a lot of flack for being in a weaker division and dodging rematches, but if you look at Anderson's record, there are a ton of big name fighters on his win column.

Definitely. He has some wins pre-ufc that don't get the respect they deserve like Horn, Newton and Sakurai.

Thread Information