Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyoto Machida did a fantastic thing for MMA this Saturday

Hybrid View

Default Lyoto Machida did a fantastic thing for MMA this Saturday

My hats off to Lyoto Machida, not only for a great KO, but for what he did after he realized his opponent was knocked out. He stopped his punch. That is a real Martial Artist, when someone can control every action they take or in this case choose not to take. Sadly I think most fighters would have kept punching, it's how they are trained and I think it's sad. Because that mentality flies in the face of what martial arts is supposed to represent. Things like Honor, Respect, and Control of one's self. I hope this trend continues to grow in MMA, maybe then we can see this sport become even more mainstream. I think acts like these should be recognized, maybe have a sportsmanship award?
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Shogun gave Lyoto the same respect and Lyoto / Mark have a closer relationship I am sure.

And I don't think one out there could think machida was a dirty fighter ever nothing but class.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Were you thinking the same thing when Barnatt did the same thing with Andrew Craig? That is was the proper thing to do.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

I don't remember that fight, what did Barnett do? If he restrained himself then I would say yes.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Barnatt restrained himself twice but those were two opportunities he had to finish but he chose to celebrate a victory he didn't yet have. Looked kind of silly instead of following up with the shots needed to actually finish.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

The first knock down Craig was completely out. He wasn't defending himself and it should have been stopped. Between Barnatt celebrating and missing his first few shots once he realized the ref wasn't stopping it Craig had enough to recover.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    My hats off to Lyoto Machida, not only for a great KO, but for what he did after he realized his opponent was knocked out.
    It's good to see that type of control and sportsmanship. Mark Hunt has done this many times. I've seen him walk away before the other fighters body hit the mat.

Quote Originally Posted by rough-n-tumble View Post
    It's good to see that type of control and sportsmanship. Mark Hunt has done this many times. I've seen him walk away before the other fighters body hit the mat.
    Those are some of my favorite knockouts... and Hunt is the only guy who can pull off holding back and being merciful while simultaneously looking like a friggin badass.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Machida has always been a class act. It's one of the biggest reasons he's my favorite active fighter.

The amount of respect I gained for Robbie Lawler after the Lindland fight was huge.

They are in there to win. The goal should never be to hurt your opponent. It's always nice to see that come through whether fighters are friends or not.

Unfortunately, for every Machida or Franklin, there's a Jones or Palhares.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post

Unfortunately, for every Machida or Franklin, there's a Jones or Palhares.
    Jones in the same boat as Palhares...really??

Thread Information