Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lyoto Machida did a fantastic thing for MMA this Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by rough-n-tumble View Post
    It's good to see that type of control and sportsmanship. Mark Hunt has done this many times. I've seen him walk away before the other fighters body hit the mat.
    To be fair, i think the lack of follow up on Marks part is somewhat due to exhaustion.

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    Honor is over rated.
    really??? That's the dumbest thing you've probably ever said. You are correct, This is a SPORT. A COMPETITION, its not about PERMANENTLY INJURING someone and ending their career.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    No diff then Dan hitting Bisping when he was clearly out and Rampage on Wandy etc, legal but dirty.

Rua, Machida, Hunt, Robbie etc have shown real class in MMA.
    We arent talking a strike to an unconscious opponent here, i'm talking your knee is fucking done and you walk with a limp for the rest of your life. I'm sorry but I dont find that shit ok at all...
    Last edited by HillbillyDeluxe; 10-30-2013 at 12:48 AM.

What Machida did was very admirable. It's always nice to witness fighters display self control and class towards their fallen opponents like he did.

you know its funny i equate the front kick to the knee to the cut block in football.
    I played on the line in college and i refused to cut block a guy. i know its legal but i saw careers end on cut and chop blocks and i refused to do it. When D-linemen tried that shit in short situations they usually got unfriendly response in the next pile-up.
    Just because its legal dont make it right.

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

Quote Originally Posted by rough-n-tumble View Post
    It's good to see that type of control and sportsmanship. Mark Hunt has done this many times. I've seen him walk away before the other fighters body hit the mat.
    Those are some of my favorite knockouts... and Hunt is the only guy who can pull off holding back and being merciful while simultaneously looking like a friggin badass.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe View Post
    really??? That's the dumbest thing you've probably ever said. You are correct, This is a SPORT. A COMPETITION, its not about PERMANENTLY INJURING someone and ending their career.

We arent talking a strike to an unconscious opponent here, i'm talking your knee is fucking done and you walk with a limp for the rest of your life. I'm sorry but I dont find that shit ok at all...
    Fighters know the risk they are taking. Could someone blow out their knee because of John knee strikes? Yes, but that's not whats he trying to do. He is using it to stop forward progress and maintain his reach. Fighters have been injured by submissions where guys didn't have a chance to tap before the injury occured. Fighters have been injured being taken down or slammed like Shogun/Coleman. Not using a technique because it has a chance to injure a fighter, when almost techniques do, is stupid. If it's legal go for it.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Just my opinion, but I think the difference with the "oblique kick" is that it's designed to injure. Other techniques all have the potential of causing injury but that kick specifically aims at hyperextending the knee joint.

Like I said, just my opinion. Personally, I think it should be banned but that's up to the rulemakers and not the fighters. You would hope there'd be a code of conduct amongst fighters that would cover that, glove touching, etc. to avoid the need.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

8. Default

I see it as a class act, but with refing failures one should get themselves into postion to strike if nessacary. Celebrating shouldn't happen until the ref calls it.

What poppycock. A jab, back step or feint works just as effectively. Fact of the matter is Jones waits til there is forward momentum before he does it, when have you ever seen him use it as part of a combo to start something? Jones uses his fingers to choke opponents he also grabs gloves and smother people with his hands. Sure it's not illegal but it's a scumbag thing to do trying to win the fight by seriously maiming and opponent. I've talked to a couple of people who've rolled or sparred with him during training he never does it because he knows he can seriously hurt people.
    "After Overeem lands two knees, Fujita backs into the corner then sheepishly tries sneaking past. Alistair punches him back into the corner and lands a third knee that I swear lights on fucking fire before it impacts.". -cracked version of the climax of Fujita vs Overeem fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sundance Kid View Post
    I get nervous when I see security guards at Target.

He's the champ. He has to do what it takes to win. Cheap or not, him pushing an opponents and permanently injuring them would only further him being the best.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Thread Information